• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Did they bork PVM targeting?

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My character no longer can respond to aggression when in peace mode. If there is only one target, the character will respond, but when there are more than 2 or 3, it will finish killing one monster and then allow the rest to beat the hell out of him while he stands there and looks stupid. What gives? Shouldn't this have been ironed out in test center, or did they not test PVM at all?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's been tested, the devs don't seem to work on the weekends, publish was rushed, not much else to expect, except a speedy hotfix which doesn't look like we're going to get it tonight =[

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been tested, the devs don't seem to work on the weekends, publish was rushed, not much else to expect, except a speedy hotfix which doesn't look like we're going to get it tonight =[
It seems to be the flavor of the game these days, rush rush rush to publish and leave the bug testing for later. They might as well just get rid of test center, because it doesn't serve a purpose. All the testing is done in the main shards, by players getting pissed that there is yet another bug that should have been squashed before publish. There are EC bugs that have been around since the very beginning that they seem unwilling to tackle, IE the rubber banding all around while fighting... *sigh*

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gheed Buffet's greatest hits:

Headin' down to dungeon shame
for the final weekend farmin' show

I got my luck su~it on
I guess it's always a use for Leurocian's mempo

And healer I didn't know
that I'd be missin' you so

Come Monday... it'll be alright
Come Monday... I'll spam left click to fight
I spent one lonely day in a brown dungeon haze
Devs I just want you back on my side!

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New. Lets talk the old. Any area damage done by a weapon wont do any retargeting once the main target dies. Be it an area effect or special move. No matter what mode your in. Holy Light or Wither for the win.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My macro works fine. What exactly is your problem?
First off, if your fighting stuff why are you in peace mode?
Mobs attack, 1st target dies, hit your macro

'Select nearest' - 'Hostile'
AttackSelected

Dunno man... this is how I've been doing it for a long time & it works fine.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The players are now the testers. Been that way for awhile.
Thx for reporting
We are now paying ea to be interns.
Perfect business plan isn't it?
Actually - no. A perfect business plan would include game additions that would attract new blood and at the same time keep the old blood interested... And it would certainly include the ability to give them even more cash in a quick and friendly and tested manner... No, a perfect business plan doesn't seem to be high on their list of priorities, at the moment... Actually, it hasn't been in their plan for quite a few years now.... I think they're big into office parties or something...

Just sayin...;)

Last edited:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My macro works fine. What exactly is your problem?
First off, if your fighting stuff why are you in peace mode?
Mobs attack, 1st target dies, hit your macro

'Select nearest' - 'Hostile'
AttackSelected

Dunno man... this is how I've been doing it for a long time & it works fine.
I agree it works for me too same macro. Mind you i just keeping mashing it to make sure i hit a target

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its been for years and years if you are in peace mode with no area damage on your weapon, you could collect several monsters and hit momentum strike or whirlwind and you would keep swinging until there was nothing hostile left standing. It was always the most effective way for a spawn warrior to fight. The reason for this is if you rely on a 'select nearest' macro, and the nearest enemy happens to be low on life and flakes out, you are stuck aggroing an enemy you are too far away to hit, and you don't swing. For a sampire, no swing is a killer. In peace mode, if one enemy flakes out between swings, a fresh one is automatically selected, your character swings at that one, and life goes on.

Mashing a select nearest macro is only my choice when using an area weapon to clear out weak enemies in the first two levels of a champ spawn, or for some reason my character would lose agro, for example by walking through a fire pit trap in a champ spawn, or fighting inside the building in the Primeval Lich spawn.

Rabid Sniper

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Experiencing the same issue.. This is what me and a few guildies notice on our sampires. Our tactic is to use EC and the TARGET NEAREST ENEMY in conjunction with ALWAYS ATTACK. This is a champ spawn staple.. and has worked for years.
Now it seems, that somehow even though the target circle is still on NEAREST, the attack (red bar) mob gets switched to another one.. Its like any mob that attacks you takes away your attack swing. Very annoying.. please fix, otherwise they have essentially put a major nerf on a primary sampire tactic.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems all types of PvM templates have been suffering from this new healing/combat aggro system. It simply wasn't tested enough and was pushed to public shards. Please revert and go back to testing!

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im noticing issues too. Did a few champs today. Each time, I would attack the champ, and then my guy would hit once then sit there and get wailed on. i had to clickity click click to stay targeted to the boss. Really annoying to have to hit my mouse button 200 times to keep from losing the target.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just tested it today on several different spawns and ya'll are right... its gotten flaky o_O .
Usually I just jam on the key when in Mobs but I tried being alil more selective & my guy keeps re-targeting for no apparent reason.

Was in Prism & he would re-target stuff in totally different parts of the dungeon (threw walls & in other cave areas) when stuff was clobbering him mere steps away (with magic):gee: .

Id have a target in front of me highlighted to attack & something half a screen away would aggro... Id switch targets :lame:. Something definitely weird going on....

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is the new Kung Fu AI. You only attack the next opponent coming at you and not finnishing off a target before switching. Working as intended. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few people (CovenantX and Voodoo Bad Mojo) complained about this last week when the publish was on Origin. No one noticed.

CovenantX told me that he thinks people are too preoccupied with the new expansion to either test the new changes or give feedback on them which is what I believe too. It's not easy for 2 people to get their voices heard from an entire gaming community.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CovenantX told me that he thinks people are too preoccupied with the new expansion to either test the new changes or give feedback on them which is what I believe too. It's not easy for 2 people to get their voices heard from an entire gaming community.

LOL He's not the only one that's had that thought.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My character no longer can respond to aggression when in peace mode. If there is only one target, the character will respond, but when there are more than 2 or 3, it will finish killing one monster and then allow the rest to beat the hell out of him while he stands there and looks stupid. What gives? Shouldn't this have been ironed out in test center, or did they not test PVM at all?
We are aware of the auto-defending issue and are working on a fix.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Issue with that is some of us don't play Origin. I also didn't notice since those posts included healing and assumed it was due to the new healing aggro changes. I don't heal, and most times I was solo, and when I did have a partner, there was never a heal of any kind used. That's when I noticed there was an issue.

Thank you for the response! :)

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used both( peace and war) mode,I fell slow war mode and work macro 'Select nearest' - 'Hostile' and AttackSelected than peace mode :(
If same speed work,I fell good.

However sometime I had strange target.
1、I fought boss then 1 monster coming and target me( no attack),and auto change terget.I used war mode,I can not keep target.
Its good change?!
2.I send bug report.
I had hunted the boura, being lost in thought.
Sometime I felt strange,I used war mode,however sometime its peace mde.
I checkd it,I looked for boura over 8 sec,about 80% war mode change peace mode .
No player and no buara( no monster).
3.After publish,I backed house and click door,my mode change war mode.( only 4 time)
I need fight my door?!
This is new change targeting system.....

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree it works for me too same macro. Mind you i just keeping mashing it to make sure i hit a target
Same. I use my Whammy at SA Mini-Champs for Essence farming, and i mash a "Select Nearest: Hostile - Attack Selected Target" macro. Spamming that macro along with Whirlwind on a 50% Hit Area Radiant Scimitar clears out hordes of monsters fast. Pinco's UI makes looting the bodies incredibly fast/easy. Only damn reason i use the EC sometimes is Pinco's UI.

Last edited:

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bleek, the issue isn't just with Auto Defend. I am in attack mode hitting Mob A, mobs B, C, D & E aggro me and I stop hitting Mob A. This is becoming very annoying as I have to keep hitting my attack macro and that doesn't always work. I'm not pleased that you and the Dev team implemented a change without testing it. The change was supposed to be about healing and aggro but it totally changed all aggro in the game and pushing it out so quickly to all shards was a huge mistake. You broke Tamers, Healers, solo melee and group fighting. This was a terrible implementation and throwing it out over a weekend on Origin then publishing it on all Shards on Monday. If the rush was to get the new deco out then you should have held on to this "fix" until a later publish.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
revert is the fix for this very very bad idea.

Oh and stop trying to fix/improve cr@p that's not broken!!!
QFT

In the Dev Suggestion thread I took 15 min and posted about 6 items that got a raft of thumbs up - none of them are in this publish (and honestly a few like changing pet dmg text color in the 2d client is like 1 line of code). However, they did mess with the targettting system that NO ONE and I mean NO ONE was complaining about. What the hell?

I want any DEV to come on here or Messana who supposidly runs the game and tell us straight how this change will either :
1 - Bring new players to game
2 -Provide more enjoyment to existing players

Every single change/update/enhancement should be measured against that criteria. Changes just to make changes are stupid.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bleek, the issue isn't just with Auto Defend. I am in attack mode hitting Mob A, mobs B, C, D & E aggro me and I stop hitting Mob A. This is becoming very annoying as I have to keep hitting my attack macro and that doesn't always work. I'm not pleased that you and the Dev team implemented a change without testing it. The change was supposed to be about healing and aggro but it totally changed all aggro in the game and pushing it out so quickly to all shards was a huge mistake. You broke Tamers, Healers, solo melee and group fighting. This was a terrible implementation and throwing it out over a weekend on Origin then publishing it on all Shards on Monday. If the rush was to get the new deco out then you should have held on to this "fix" until a later publish.
Pfft... All of this WAS tested by our superb experts working behind the scenes. This was to "improve monster AI", and is working as intended and validated through their testing.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've noticed a long-standing pattern among the team that's been intensified in recent months: Doing changes that simply are more trouble than they could be worth.

I do not think that we the UO audience really need gameplay changes so much as we need content.

Some gameplay changes have worked (stamina damage reduction from non-meddable armor).

But some have not (armor refinement).

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QFT

In the Dev Suggestion thread I took 15 min and posted about 6 items that got a raft of thumbs up - none of them are in this publish (and honestly a few like changing pet dmg text color in the 2d client is like 1 line of code). However, they did mess with the targettting system that NO ONE and I mean NO ONE was complaining about. What the hell?

I want any DEV to come on here or Messana who supposidly runs the game and tell us straight how this change will either :
1 - Bring new players to game
2 -Provide more enjoyment to existing players

Every single change/update/enhancement should be measured against that criteria. Changes just to make changes are stupid.
I agree 100% with Theo.

Wtf are the developers thinking? Hmm, we have a time proven successful game...I know!! Let's screw it up!! Yeah!! Almost 16 years of fairly well functioning combat system and a few people complain about loot rights...hmm?? Let's screw with it now and claim it is an absolute necessity to bring balance to the game! Utter BS...

Maybe they have orders to destroy the existing player base little by little so EA doesn't have to pay for this fossil of a game anymore. =/ It maybe a fossil but I love it almost as much as I did back in beta.

I have watched populations dropping per server noticeably on 5 servers every month for years now. This is supposed to help retain player base how?? Improve it how?? Who was complaining?? Just a few crybabies on loot rights? Anyone else??

It's a terrible move for people on low population servers, which most servers are now with exception of Atlantic. Let's have everything aggro this one lonely a$$ character at the bottom of Doom or Shame because we feel that it will make the game more enjoyable and evenly distribute loot to those lazy, mooching healers! Sad, sad, sad. If you're trying to run people off just pull the damn plug and be done.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe early to mid 2014. Maybe it will be permanent like the EC rubberbanding all around your target in combat. :/

Early to mid never.

They have moved on like wildfire to changing guardzones, flagging rules, LRC, removing the recall spell and including a timer to buying from a vendor. All jokes of course - but are they? You never know with the dev team from another dimension.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do find it a bit disconcerting that there was no communication today about timetables and what was happening, etc. Now we know we have to hang on at least 2 more days to get any information at all.

And no, I don't believe the few minutes it would have taken to post that here or on the Herald would have seriously impacted programming time.

same as it ever was

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to add my voice here as well. Did several champ spawns today. Would hit the macro to attack... it would swing once...then stop. Had to keep hitting the button over and over.

Almost felt like I was playing Street Fighter back in my old arcade days.

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably a attempt to prevent afk gold farmers. Never really see anybody except dexxers and tamers afk farming... just saying

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Probably a attempt to prevent afk gold farmers. Never really see anybody except dexxers and tamers afk farming... just saying
Yes this change would stop them cold, it's not like there is a loop or something searching for specific targets on screen and attacking till dead. Yup a automated loop is sure gonna be hurting with this change :next:.

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to add my voice here as well. Did several champ spawns today. Would hit the macro to attack... it would swing once...then stop. Had to keep hitting the button over and over.

Almost felt like I was playing Street Fighter back in my old arcade days.
Hadouken!

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best part of this is when you die after hitting the attack nearest macro and your character, in a tragically misguided attempt to protect itself, decides to defend itself from something else across the screen, because it noticed you and attacked after you declared your target. So not only do you have to fight in war mode and hit the macro every swing, while not auto-defending, but you have to time the macro to just before your next swing so as not to lose your target.

Remember the good old days when your character would defend itself and you could attack something and actually trust your character to swing at it instead of suffering from massive crippling ADD and becoming fascinated with an imp across the screen?

Traumatized

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im assuming this still hasnt gotten any attention??? I cant even do level 1 spawn on my sampire because of this

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just tested it on Atlantic (I hate the undead spawn...)- seems to work fine atm.

Traumatized

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im using:Target nearest mobile, secondary ability, attack selected, 90% of the time I get "no mobiles on screen" while im standing in the middle of 100 ghouls, sometimes it will work, more than not it doesnt.
That seems to be the only combination of target finding/attacking I can come up with that will actually work sometimes

Last edited:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Im using:Target nearest mobile, secondary ability, attack selected, 90% of the time I get "no mobiles on screen" while im standing in the middle of 100 ghouls, sometimes it will work, more than not it doesnt.
That seems to be the only combination of target finding/attacking I can come up with that will actually work sometimes
I think it's your macro... I think if you have any lag you are going to have to add a short delay before attacking.

Here is my EC macro, and it never fails even with +300ms lag. Someone else might be able to come up with a better one, but like I said, it never seems to fail.
  • Target Nearest
  • Honor
  • Wait for Target
  • Cursor Target Current
  • Delay 0.2
  • Attack Current Target