• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Did some prepatch maps, then tried the new ones..

V

Valerin

Having just finished my Treasure Hunter I figured I'd try the old maps first, get the hang of it and all that. It went well, had a lot of fun, etc.

Then I tried some of the new "location unknown" maps, and the fun aspect just disappeared since I spent more time undergoing the mundane task of trying to find the location of the chest, than I did fighting the monsters and looting the chest.

If the map locations were reverted back to prepatch, I have no doubt I would continue to do them, and have fun each time. But if they're going to stay with this 'impossible to find' system, it might be awhile before I log onto this THunter again =/

Anyone else feel the same way?

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone else feel the same way?
I feel the exact opposite way. I can't wait until the 30 day timer expires and my old maps become new random maps. I really like the changes, especially now that I put GM mining on my t-hunter, it's a breeze finding the maps. I enjoy the change of scenery from the same old 190 spots we used to have...

But that's just me... :cool:

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm with LaBaiton on this one, even though I don't have mining nor do I use the magnifier technique (I use the grid technique). I think it's a lot more interesting now with the random changes. Even hired myself out yesterday to someone who had never done a map in their virtual life. That was even more fun! :eek:

Just don't give up yet and try to find a technique that works for you! After a few maps you won't even be phased by it.

Hendric

O

Old Man of UO

I feel the exact opposite way. ...
But that's just me... :cool:
It's not just you; I also agree! The change is refreshing.

I don't have mining, and at first was frustrated with finding the chest but didn't want to give up any of my other skills. After about ten maps, I realized how important were landmarks and paying attention to the details. The new map is a BIG improvement over the old map style in that you can actually pick out details in the landscape.

It takes me literally less than five minutes to find any map now, and if I had mining I would hit the spot on the very first dig perhaps 90% of the time. But then, it would take me a LOT longer than the five minutes I've saved finding the chest to kill off the spawn. And I don't have to stone off any skills.

V

Valerin

Keep in mind guys this is coming from someone that never really did t.hunting save for 1 or 2 4+ years ago. It's a different perspective than apparently some of you who have grinded out all 190(?) of the old spots. Each of these 190 spots is new to me. So in that regard, I can see where you're coming from. But for me, as of now, it's just too frustrating. Maybe it'd be better if the chest was actually where the pin pointed to on the map instead of just a "general area".

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I hadn't done any since on Siege many years ago with no rune library and maybe that's a good thing since I wasn't spoiled with them. Now I've done probably 50 or so of the new locations, so I've had a lot of practice doing them. At first it was confusing and a bit frustrating but like the Old Man said, landmarks are your friend. Taking a little time to study those landmarks and making an imaginary target between two of them helps out a lot. Maybe take a break and give it another shot later in the week!

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Petra, I checked out the T-hunting info., you linked to above, great info. But, One thing needs to be added. Magery will in fact open lvl 3 chest I just tested it on a lvl 3 t-map chest. You do need to be at 120 though. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My opinion is that the new system will be fine - IF they institute a system like the turkey maps of last year's events, to indicate one is actually getting close, OR if they turn the bogus mining requirement into a scaled Cartography requirement, and require that Cartography be kept on for the duration of the hunt.

I'm sick & tired of soulstoners calling themselves Treasure Hunters. The original THB charter, for example, requires the members to have Cartography & Lockpicking on at all times to be a member (and this was predating soulstones). Adding Mining as a near-mandatory requirement only made the soulstoning plague worse, the exact opposite of the intent of the justification given for it by the devs.

O

Old Man of UO

Keep in mind guys this is coming from someone that never really did t.hunting save for 1 or 2 4+ years ago. It's a different perspective than apparently some of you who have grinded out all 190(?) of the old spots. Each of these 190 spots is new to me. So in that regard, I can see where you're coming from. But for me, as of now, it's just too frustrating. Maybe it'd be better if the chest was actually where the pin pointed to on the map instead of just a "general area".
It's been about that long for me also to work the treasure maps. Before, I worked them with a friend who had cartography and I had the lockpicking skill. Before that, I worked the treasure maps when fishing skill first got the LVL 1 maps and you could get quick drops. These are the first maps I've dug myself since about 2001 or 2002.

While I agree with you and Basara that digging distance should be scaled based on Cartography skill, I don't really find it that difficult with zero mining. And stoning off skill to work a T-Map is just wrong. IF you drop a marker where the pin is pointing and use that as a starting point, you will be within 5 tiles of the chest.

Valerin, if you can describe how you are searching for the chest, or perhaps hook up with another T-Hunter on your shard, maybe we can help reduce that frustration. You should have to spend more than a few minutes finding the spot whether you have mining or not.

S

Sharpthorn

i personally dont want to have mining on my t hunter (Treasure Seeker, Europa) however i would like to see something to help find the map. Maybe a compass that operates like the golden compass in Underworld that will point towards the chest if within the screen? maybe available from a t hunter quest available at 100 carto? or at least an item that says Freezing/Cold/Warm/Blazing as you near the map. this would be good since the underworld teleport puzzle is generally targetted by t hunters and could be a reward from that when you have the right quest. i think having carto/lp AND mining just limits the diversity of t hunter templates where as currently my mystic/mage/t hunter is pretty good even for champs and dungeons and stops him being a 1 trick pony. That or rather than random location maps, maybe just allow 5/6 maps to spawn at any one of the 190 old loctions rather than just the select few areas (not that i look forward to seeing 8 ancient wryms crammed on to dot island) and maybe just add another 30 new locations. just some ideas that might quench the flames.

Prea'tim Persalem (the Treasure Seeker) Grand Archeaologist [THG]