• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Did smelting dragon barding deeds get nerfed?

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My 120 blacksmith with 105 mining and gm armlore kept getting the message "You cannot work this strange and unusual metal" when trying to smelt a non-exceptional iron dragon barding deed back into ingots. The tool was set to iron as well. No ingots when she tried the salvage bag either. Has this been changed, and I missed an update?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh wow, I never knew you could smelt a barding deed...

Just equip a +10 hammer when you make em. I believe that will make them exceptional every time (might be a +15, not sure).

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Deed was found at idoc, was trying to be environmentally green, and avoid leaving mine tailings in the caves. My smith uses a + 27 blacksmith exceptional talisman and +30 ASH for 100% success rate in making exceptional dragon barding deeds. Now it looks like being thrifty is bugged. Anyone else with this problem?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes - there was apparently a bug/exploit that allowed other deeds to get smelted, so rather than get a repeat of the infamous AoS "BOD smelting" issue that flooded the shards with iron until at least the release of SE, they totally eliminated smelting the Deeds.

A +20% or greater Blacksmith Exceptional Bonus talisman, combined with a +15 ASH, will insure that the Barding Deeds are exceptional 100% of the time.