• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Did Character Transfer make Rare Collecting better or worse?

Has character transfers made Rare Collecting better or worse?

• Better

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Worse

Votes: 32 66.7%

• Total voters
D

DVI

this as xel pointed out is an old argument and is very easy to argue either side and make valid points.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Character Transfer is the worst thing that ever has happend to UO!!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worse thing ever

Opened the door ''wide'' for duping of items as iam led to beleive

....and the duping of ''everything'' and ''anything'' on ''any shard''.

Not that it hardly effects anyone to be fair!!!

Because Truly expensive 'true rares' and 'unique event items' are only traded amongst and between about 1% of the UO population..

X

Xel Naga

Worse thing ever

Opened the door ''wide'' for duping of items as iam led to beleive

....and the duping of ''everything'' and ''anything'' on ''any shard''.

Not that it hardly effects anyone to be fair!!!

Because Truly expensive 'true rares' and 'unique event items' are only traded amongst and between about 1% of the UO population..
Actually the biggest dupe that happened was done by the HAX guild and had nothing to do with xfers. It simply had to do with forcing the server to crash and that would account for probably 80% of the arties in circulation now (random speculated percentage) Certainly there aren't enough months to account for all the inquisitors in circulation even if it were stolen every cycle of every shard, that's for sure.

And now rares isnt amongst 1% of the populous anymore because they're so cheap and gold is so duped and abundant that everyone will have at least 100mil lying around in items and gold if they just liquidated their stuff.

Whether or not it makes rare collecting worse or better is independent of the argument that if EA's horrible developers had enough skill to foresee obvious problems in their newest publishes or acted fast enough on people reporting exactly how to replicate these bugs.

So no , I won't bother voting if it made collecting better or not. But soon it won't matter since all of UO will either reside on GL or ATL since every other shard is slowly dying off in population and we're not getting any new players that stay.

xxstaticxx

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally believe that character transferring in general is/was a great idea and most certainly helped the rares market in tons of ways. EA failing to adequately test their new "Product" and as Xel said the lack of foreseeing obvious flaws is what made character transferring Worse for the rares market.

Had EA thoroughly tested their new product and fixed all flaws then I believe Xfering would have continued to be the best thing to ever happen to the rares market.

And Xel, Your right about the HAX guild dupe thing, but your also forgetting that the same "technique" if you will that HAX used to dupe in the first place (server crashing) is also what lead to the other dupes involving xfering (which was one of the main methods supposedly used back in 06). So again I'm back at point A where I stand by my statement, "Had EA thoroughly tested their new product and fixed all flaws" None of this would have ever happened in the first place.

EA need's to stop worrying about Expanding the game and adding content and start worrying about fixing the problems within the game. Installing punk buster or some other similar program like we was promised years ago and then AFTER they fixed duping and scripting methods should they Remove all the dupes because removing the dupes in the fashion they are now is only postponing the inevitable.

"Cut off the tail of a snake and it lives, Cut off it's head and it Dies"

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the biggest dupe that happened was done by the HAX guild and had nothing to do with xfers. It simply had to do with forcing the server to crash
And the reason they made the shard crash was to force a revert right after transferring a character. So they would end up with items on both shards.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not think X sharding itself is the problem... i think that by itself was a great idea, but it should have had alot of limits.

Shard unique Items to stay on the shard.
A much smaller Limit of the Items you can take
Limit of Gold you can take.

Maybe even narrow it down to transver only account bound Items /Character bound items and the chars with the Skills.

Alot of the Shards history got lost and is locked away on some strange shard where ,but the Collecter itself may know of the Origen and History.

Where did that leave us?
Where we are now, instead of every shard having their own unique smaller collections , we have a few super rich with fewer bigger collections, and Rares collecting allmost destroyed because of all the duping that came with the X sharding.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the biggest dupe that happened was done by the HAX guild and had nothing to do with xfers. It simply had to do with forcing the server to crash and that would account for probably 80% of the arties in circulation now (random speculated percentage) Certainly there aren't enough months to account for all the inquisitors in circulation even if it were stolen every cycle of every shard, that's for sure.

I stand corrected....I was informed the shard transfer process was used for double duping items on both shards at near server down...Thankyou for the enlightment!!

However i stand by my statement that the rares community is around 1% of the UO populous.. THATS LIKE 500 peeps out of 50,000, sound about right to me....or 1000 in 100,000

And no !! normal players cannot afford mega high end rares that ''seemingly'' swop hands between the rares collectors at 3-4-500 million a pop...no sir no!!

[But soon it won't matter since all of UO will either reside on GL or ATL since every other shard is slowly dying off in population and we're not getting any new players that stay]

Oh add Europa to your list of 2 to make 3. We are pretty strong shard over the water.

So in summary i think shard transfers have hit 1% of UO
(maybe 2% for arguments sake...jee!!), the other 99% i doubt will have a problem with it??

And likes mentioned above...Shard transfers will give peeps a chance to move the 3 fuller shards, as the least populated ones sadly die out- well thats if they want to leave there instant free castle for a villa on a populated shard that is!!

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

thats why i collect only old stuff, like "sewn by" or double exeptional blessed/double blessed items, there is a high chance, that theese items arent duped, because the value isnt really high.
old havenquestitems and reward stuff i collect too.

i voted for "worse"!
Shard related items should stay on the shard.

V

Vre13

There is no one answer...
X shard transfer permited players to leave almost dead shards and obtain new life in still alive shards. But in some UO areas it simply ruined the game and game play. We all know that in certain shards players are simply harvesting resources (There aren't GM, which watching for scripters) and then returning millions of ingots, wood or gold in well populated shards. This is bad, but not the worst thing. The worst thing is dupers received permition to move S shard huge amount of money. Its real money washing.... And its the crime.... And EA does not doing nothing.... Only one simple thing - limitation of X shard moves (like with Veterans rewards - 2 X shard transfers per year per account, for example) and few days quarantine (like Custom office in real life - to examine what players are carrying and in what quantitys) will return game in much more better rails... Sure, its only my poor opninion....
X Shard transfers is good idea. But as always in UO it was realised poor.

T

The Home Guild

mY Lil 2 cents:If char transfer wasn't aval..rares on such shards would be rare among shards and value would remain high and less worries of dupage.