• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Diablo 3 Open Beta is this weekend, also TERA

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll try to make a front page article for this with links a little later today but FYI for all interested Diablo 3 and TERA are both having free open betas this weekend, check their official sites for details.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Impressions:

Diablo 3 is great. It still has a very Diablo feel while making it's own mark on the series, most notably with the exceptional graphics. The gameplay is fast-paced and the loot is plentiful. The skill system seems simpler from Diablo 2, but there is still some customizing once enough levels are raised. All of the classes are unique enough that there will be a lot of replay value, I loved all of them. This will be a definite preorder for me.

TERA is not as great, unfortunately. It really tries to set itself apart in a genre full of clones and it just isn't different enough from the vending machine MMOs that keep coming out. The combat is a little faster paced than many of them, but the charm of it wears off after the first few fights honestly. Many will get sucked into preordering it and playing for a month or two but probably not long after that. It's a "flavor of the month" game and not much more.