• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs, tarot question

• Thread starter Dolphoenix
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
D

Dolphoenix

OK I decided to try my hand at writing a guide to interpret the in game fortune teller's (personal attendant) tarot cards. I got to really looking at the cards and noticed they are based on the Major Arcana cards except UO themed. As I got to looking I realized I kept seeing the same cards.
This tarot deck should have 22 cards (0-21), however there are only 10 in game. And yes the in game cards are also numbered at the top of each card:
0,1,2,10,11,12,13,16,17, & 21

I know the attendants are kinda old, but I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up. So, to the question :

Are we going to see the card deck completed? Facts are this particular system is only about 45% complete.

A

altarego

OK I decided to try my hand at writing a guide to interpret the in game fortune teller's (personal attendant) tarot cards. I got to really looking at the cards and noticed they are based on the Major Arcana cards except UO themed. As I got to looking I realized I kept seeing the same cards.
This tarot deck should have 22 cards (0-21), however there are only 10 in game. And yes the in game cards are also numbered at the top of each card:

I know the attendants are kinda old, but I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up. So, to the question :

Are we going to see the card deck completed? Facts are this particular system is only about 45% complete.
Most likely not.

The gypsy and her cards have always loosely been based on the 8 virtues of Ultima. I have not seen all of the cards, but I imagine the other two are the pinnacles of the deck, a.k.a. order and chaos (as these were originally described in the days of the attendants).

The tarot deck was meant as an allusion, no more.

T

Trebr Drab

Most likely not.

The gypsy and her cards have always loosely been based on the 8 virtues of Ultima. I have not seen all of the cards, but I imagine the other two are the pinnacles of the deck, a.k.a. order and chaos (as these were originally described in the days of the attendants).

Illusion or not, this stuff is interesting.

D

Dolphoenix

I'm not talking about the virtue set of tarot cards that the gypsy uses. I'm talking about the the cards used by the fortune teller personal attendant.

I'm talking about this deck used by in game fortune teller
(notice the numbers at the top first is 0 last is 21):

Not this deck, used for the virtue test in other ultimas by the gypsie :

Just a note real quick on my observations for the guide I been makin -
0 - Fool is guy pullin crap out of treasure chest, beggin for spawn
1 - Mage instead of traditional magician, 1st circle above him, holding book with codex.
2 - High priestess, hunter's headdress (?), moongate on forehead
10 - Codex, with lines representing Truth, love and courage.
12 - Hanged man seems to be wearing Britannian leather armor.
17 - Eight stars in the heavens. Same number of virtues.
21 - The World. Notice that it's Sosaria.
11, 13, 16 - nothing different I can see from traditional cards

P.S. Since the Virtue cards do exist, I wouldn't mind seeing gypsy's in game give the virtue test.. just to tell people what virtue they favor...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well thank you Kreskin, can you pick some winning lottery numbers for me? Oh Know'r of Everything!!

T

Trebr Drab

Well thank you Kreskin, can you pick some winning lottery numbers for me? Oh Know'r of Everything!!
Hehe, I'm wondering if you're joking too, or if you missed that he said "allusion", as in allude to. Easy mistake at any rate.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hehe, I'm wondering if you're joking too, or if you missed that he said "allusion", as in allude to. Easy mistake at any rate.
I actually meant the fact that he was TELLING us the purpose of these, as if he designed the code himself. I know the difference between allusion and illusion. :)

D

Dolphoenix

YA I saw it. I liked the using of Balron instead of the devil and moongate instead of chariot :)

It's always fun digging around in the community and finding out what's out there.

One of my personal peeves against UO is official things being left unfinished / half finished, it's one of the reasons I've quit several times.
The other biggy is things not being cleaned up after events.

This is just the latest example of half finished.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bickering aside, thanks to Dolphoenix for posting this! I did not realize there were tarot cards in UO (aside from the little deco ones). Very interesting! Would love to see the set completed, unlikely as that is.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too would love to see this whole Tarot and virtue stuff finished. It's what truly set this game apart in the first place, yet has been left unfinished.