• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

devs, straps

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the last few years, ive been asking for something to put mage/rune books in to clean up back packs, through posts and meet and greets. the answer was no. then i hear they are doing as vet rewards. was disappointed that it wasnt a craft able because i dont need just one or 2. i figured i could just share the strap between chars/accounts. this is not acceptable. wonder if anyone one else cares. i just would like to clean up back packs. thanks

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even if they aren’t character or account bound, making something this functional a vet reward is crazy, unless you get 10+ per pick.

7 characters across multiple shards... it’s easy to see how even 1 account could make use of well over a dozen of each.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah pretty lame... but that's their new answer to everything... Normally I can sell or trade my vet rewards for things because people always want something... and I usually have plenty of reward picks... but this will be yet another thing I can't trade or sell... joy.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No they are not character or account bound. When you select a vet reward, that same generic gump pops up every time no matter what you pick.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No they are not character or account bound. When you select a vet reward, that same generic gump pops up every time no matter what you pick.
thanks i seen that message and i was wth lol

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i truly believe this should have been for sale in the store.
they would have made a small bundle selling these.
i know i would have purchased 20.
and when i say 20 i mean probably 40.
$3 a pop would have made them a tidy fist full of greenbacks.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i truly believe this should have been for sale in the store.
they would have made a small bundle selling these.
i know i would have purchased 20.
and when i say 20 i mean probably 40.
$3 a pop would have made them a tidy fist full of greenbacks.
I was thinking more along the line of $5 / 500 Sov

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can someone explain me why would someone want a runebook strap from a VET REWARD ??? when we have atlas . Thats just beyond me, both of these straps should be a store item or a ingame quest item , wtf is wrong with the devs

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My best guess....
I think one of the things they are trying to do is have less vet rewards in game that supposedly cause lag due to collections of them. IDOC changes alone spelled that out? All vet rewards in the house go poof... that, in combination with making future vet reward picks functional (but not game breaking) they will eventually get less of them sitting in homes taking space.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have around 20-30 vet reward picks available to me right now. There is zero chance I use one on these straps. It just isn't worth it, even when I have picks to spare. Huge opportunity missed by not putting these in the store. $5 for 3 straps or something and I'm sure they'd make a decent amount of revenue. As it stands, I can't imagine the time/effort put into these being worth the amount of vet rewards that will be claimed.

And this is coming from someone who hates the idea of an in-game store in a subscription game. But this is the type of stuff you put in the store; quality of life, dyes, deco, and things that don't give a competitive advantage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My best guess....
I think one of the things they are trying to do is have less vet rewards in game that supposedly cause lag due to collections of them. IDOC changes alone spelled that out? All vet rewards in the house go poof... that, in combination with making future vet reward picks functional (but not game breaking) they will eventually get less of them sitting in homes taking space.

No the reason they took them out of IDOCs is because someone got their undies in a twist over not being able to sell them for big money... because it's all about greed... it's also why they took out anything stackable... so people can not hoard all the stone and ingots and boards and get any resources anymore so we are forced to buy everything from the scripters who can mass-produce the stuff... stuff no one else can get without grinding hours and hours of their lives away... unless they still have hoards of the junk... like most of us do... It's because greedy people want to be able to sell stuff... period...

It has NEVER been about anything other than that... someone was upset because they couldn't sell vet reward dye tubs because we all have 10 of the things... especially all the older ones... so they cried boo hoo... no one wants to buy my vet rewards because they get them free at IDOCs... boo-hoo... and the DEVs listened to ridiculous people... as always... and they keep doing stuff that just drops more and more money into the laps of the scripters...

Honestly, it's one of the more, a-hole things they have done... like not giving Christmas gifts... especially in a year when people have really had just about enough... with the pandemic and all... no it's a stick it to you sort of thing that seems to be an ever-growing theme of the DEVs... and most people are too daft to see it... but call them on it and you're the one being a "C" word... Here we fixed IDOCs so now you actually have a snowball's chance in Hades of getting stuff from an IDOC instead of the scripters grabbing it all ....... BUT wait...... here's the catch... there is always a but wait... we're going to take most of the most valuable necessary stuff and delete that....... so all your left with is the real trash and the very few items you might get a chance at.... but mostly won't... like an EM Drop item... or something..... but otherwise all the useful stuff... nope Poof that.... enjoy.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But then it's very known both devs and the producer of this game rather use the glorious 10-FPS-please-give-me-RSI client. I thought they had driven every last EC player off through the constant downgrades by now.
Close... very close...

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Rumor is a couple of 3rd party produced clients work against the production shards. If anything, I'd think that would be reason to retire the CC...

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah pretty lame... but that's their new answer to everything... Normally I can sell or trade my vet rewards for things because people always want something... and I usually have plenty of reward picks... but this will be yet another thing I can't trade or sell... joy.
Let me get this right, you're unhappy because you find this item useful and don't want to sell it?

Have i stepped into another dimension?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@The Black Smith Well, the original post said they couldn't be transferred... and were character bound... but since they aren't that's all good... means I can easily sell them. Well, use them as trading fodder for things I do want. I have no real need for a strap... I run the EC.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have around 20-30 vet reward picks available to me right now. There is zero chance I use one on these straps. It just isn't worth it, even when I have picks to spare. Huge opportunity missed by not putting these in the store. $5 for 3 straps or something and I'm sure they'd make a decent amount of revenue. As it stands, I can't imagine the time/effort put into these being worth the amount of vet rewards that will be claimed.
UO - proudly shooting itself in the foot since 1997.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UO - proudly shooting itself in the foot since 1997.

Well, that's EA for you... just look at the Origin store... and I hear they are getting flack for their Sports Game stuff... and hearing rumors of employees selling high ticket items under the table for $1200 or some such...

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the book straps and will get one right away. I carry around 20 runebooks or atlas in my pack. i have one bag with them in it so now i can use this and when i die my runebooks are in same spot in a bag.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I also wasn't a big fan of them doing what they did for the book straps. I spoke to Kyronix on it a few times on TC1 and there was some good dialogue.

My thoughts based on that conversation are that they put it out there that the book straps as a vet reward (spent time on the art / menu selection etc) and while it really doesn't make sense to have them as a vet reward pick they were pretty much past the point of no return in a sense that they targeted a book strap as a vet reward (ie we weren't getting it as a Huntsman challenge). Additionally as Kyronix has said before with recipes (of new items) that it involves changes to UI menus etc which are more involved than they probably had time to do at that point (ie it couldn't be a recipe).

Long story short they had an idea for the book strap (based on some ideas by players) and it came out as they expected so they couldn't allocate double the time to overhaul it even if many of the players think it doesn't make sense.

I like the book straps and will get one right away. I carry around 20 runebooks or atlas in my pack. i have one bag with them in it so now i can use this and when i die my runebooks are in same spot in a bag.
Another thing that came out of the conversation was exactly like what @Sellingahouse posted. Essentially this item will be used by some players and if others don't like it or think it's not a good pick then they do not have to select it with their choice. It's not something people want to hear but it's true and as someone who dislikes his fair share of what comes out (ie pure deco items) I've learned that if I don't like it I simply don't spend time/resources on it.

I personally will keep my backpacks the way they are and continue to manage them as I have been for 20+ years. It's not ideal for a vet reward in my opinion but it's also not a sky is falling issue either.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also wasn't a big fan of them doing what they did for the book straps. I spoke to Kyronix on it a few times on TC1 and there was some good dialogue.

My thoughts based on that conversation are that they put it out there that the book straps as a vet reward (spent time on the art / menu selection etc) and while it really doesn't make sense to have them as a vet reward pick they were pretty much past the point of no return in a sense that they targeted a book strap as a vet reward (ie we weren't getting it as a Huntsman challenge). Additionally as Kyronix has said before with recipes (of new items) that it involves changes to UI menus etc which are more involved than they probably had time to do at that point (ie it couldn't be a recipe).

Long story short they had an idea for the book strap (based on some ideas by players) and it came out as they expected so they couldn't allocate double the time to overhaul it even if many of the players think it doesn't make sense.

Another thing that came out of the conversation was exactly like what @Sellingahouse posted. Essentially this item will be used by some players and if others don't like it or think it's not a good pick then they do not have to select it with their choice. It's not something people want to hear but it's true and as someone who dislikes his fair share of what comes out (ie pure deco items) I've learned that if I don't like it I simply don't spend time/resources on it.

I personally will keep my backpacks the way they are and continue to manage them as I have been for 20+ years. It's not ideal for a vet reward in my opinion but it's also not a sky is falling issue either.
It just another, it a VERY long line, of things where the players tell the devs about something that would improve the game play. The devs then take that idea and totally botch the execution of implementing that idea to the point that it becomes virtually useless to the vast majority of players who wanted the improvement. Even when the KNOW before they put it in the game that they have F'ed it up, they put it in anyway rather than do the work to fix it.

The bookstrap functionality has been asked for for YEARS. Its not like waiting another month so they could fix the inscription menu to craft the thing was going to kill us. But no, we get their version rammed into the game and we will be stuck with it.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It just another, it a VERY long line, of things where the players tell the devs about something that would improve the game play. The devs then take that idea and totally botch the execution of implementing that idea to the point that it becomes virtually useless to the vast majority of players who wanted the improvement. Even when the KNOW before they put it in the game that they have F'ed it up, they put it in anyway rather than do the work to fix it.

The bookstrap functionality has been asked for for YEARS. Its not like waiting another month so they could fix the inscription menu to craft the thing was going to kill us. But no, we get their version rammed into the game and we will be stuck with it.
Their project planning is done with the assumption of God-like design that needs no fixes. I am sure, despite what Kyronix says, moving the straps from the vet reward to the shop or wherever does not require the same time as programming it from scratch. In fact, it should require very little time. And yet, they do not have even that.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
should not have to buy them, craft yes or drop ok. again i only asked to clean up back pack for cc.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm still underwhelmed and disappointed by the straps. They have virtually no functionality except for CC users...maybe @Pinco can make it so spellbooks always go back into their strap when unequipped.

Making these be a 3rd year vet reward was a poor choice. I agree that they aren't worth the pick, unless you get 3 of them at a time like auction safes. These should have been a 200 Sov store item.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Vet picks are free why do you prefer to have to pay for stuff? Might be that I have 50+ rewards to pick, and I will only pick one or two to my 2 chars that are having either runebooks or spellbooks in a second container.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I pay $120 a year for 2 picks per account so no they are very much not free and I would rather use them for something way more useful than book straps.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vet picks are free why do you prefer to have to pay for stuff? Might be that I have 50+ rewards to pick, and I will only pick one or two to my 2 chars that are having either runebooks or spellbooks in a second container.
You think? You have three 20-year-old untouched accounts worth of rewards to pick from. As top-heavy as this game is, most people do not have that luxury.

wingnut

Adventurer
Rumor is a couple of 3rd party produced clients work against the production shards. If anything, I'd think that would be reason to retire the CC...
Some people like the CC. To me I'd use enhanced if everything wasn't so damn ugly in it. I can't stand looking at things in that client. From the paperdoll to just about every mount, really everything is ugly. Not only the art style, but the actual quality of the art seems garbage. Id seriously consider quitting if we lost CC.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some people like the CC. To me I'd use enhanced if everything wasn't so damn ugly in it. I can't stand looking at things in that client. From the paperdoll to just about every mount, really everything is ugly. Not only the art style, but the actual quality of the art seems garbage. Id seriously consider quitting if we lost CC.
Oh, you hardly notice the ugliness after a few years :D. Helps if you are a function before form type.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

EXACTLY - should of been a craftable object via the Inscription skill.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The spellbook strap isn't shard or account bound. It works also with swap last weapon in hand.
so it can use it with another account than the claiming account. Therefor it can be traded .
Mine bags looks like
1616322679367.png
For my accounts which are all above 20 years, it is to expensive to claim with 270 months and have all mages use one. If i can't buy other ones, this will be the only i use.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
should not have to buy them, craft yes or drop ok. again i only asked to clean up back pack for cc.
They aren't even that good of a clean up - you can still have stuff under the strap like a ring or something. I was hoping it was some add on to the Paperdoll that freed your pack up entirely. For the runebooks not sure how its much different than carrying them in a small wooden box. Yeah its not insured but when you click your corpse it should go back to how it was. Besides on many of my toons I rarely die. Its only the fighting ones.