• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs: Make a lot of players happy. Please.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let us customize our own keeps and castles. The contest is fun but it isn't what we, the players, want.

Allow at least keeps to be placed in Malas. It's only a little bit larger footprint than an 18x18.

Give keeps and castles the same storage and lockdowns. Many players only have a castle because of the storage capability. I personally always preferred the keep over the castle. Others do as well. 25x25 is a lot of land, not everybody wants a castle sized plot. If they had the same storage it would be a huge new option for a lot of players.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The increased storage is the main reason people have castles, so I'd say no to making keeps and castles the same storage, it would remove the biggest selling point of having a castle.

I'm unsure about making castles fully custom, but it would probably be the best option at this point. It would undoubtedly create tons of incredibly ugly eyesores though just like there are tons of 18x18's that way already. Just imagine what a 4 story tall borg cube castle made of 100% that ugly blue crystal material would look like, plus additional floors of goza mats on top of it *shudders*.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, there's always gonna be someone that thinks a hideous design is cool. Don't penalize the rest of us for it. The devs introduced those hideous tile sets in the first place, they could remove them.

I could really care less about the "selling point" of castles. The devs have affected and or ruined the "selling point" of hundreds of things in the game over the years. There's more non-castle owners then there are castle owners. Especially with one player owning 10, 15, even 25 castles. A castle isn't the end all be all of the game like it once was, the storage is. We all pay the same amount to play, we all get the same crap dished out to us every holiday and anniversary. Too many of us are hoarders but that's the way UO is. It's like a second life to some. Just because you lucked out and got a castle spot(s) all those years ago or have billions gold to buy one, you still pay the same $10/month as everyone else yet have 3000 more lockdowns.

As a side effect of the value of a castle going down, wouldn't that logically mean the value of keep would go up? Malas aside, a lot of players would desire a keep nearly as equal as a castle if the storage were the same.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately, there's always gonna be someone that thinks a hideous design is cool. Don't penalize the rest of us for it. The devs introduced those hideous tile sets in the first place, they could remove them.

I could really care less about the "selling point" of castles. The devs have affected and or ruined the "selling point" of hundreds of things in the game over the years. There's more non-castle owners then there are castle owners. Especially with one player owning 10, 15, even 25 castles. A castle isn't the end all be all of the game like it once was, the storage is. We all pay the same amount to play, we all get the same crap dished out to us every holiday and anniversary. Too many of us are hoarders but that's the way UO is. It's like a second life to some. Just because you lucked out and got a castle spot(s) all those years ago or have billions gold to buy one, you still pay the same $10/month as everyone else yet have 3000 more lockdowns.

As a side effect of the value of a castle going down, wouldn't that logically mean the value of keep would go up? Malas aside, a lot of players would desire a keep nearly as equal as a castle if the storage were the same.
So now we are suppose to limit how many Keeps/Castles a person owns. Guess what the person that owns 10,15 or even 25 Castles also has 10, 15 or 25 paid accounts supporting them and have every right to own them.

PageBoy

Journeyman

yet another whining

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have mixed feeling about this subject. Of course I would like to replicate my zento house with a castle design. But on the other hand I saw some of the submissions of keeps/castles that were eye sores to me.
I would actually like to have a keep and castle competition every month for the rest of the year. Then be done with it, I figure by then perhaps my design might get through. This would reduce the amount of eye sores
by the voting system, and give a pretty good selection to choose from.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So now we are suppose to limit how many Keeps/Castles a person owns. Guess what the person that owns 10,15 or even 25 Castles also has 10, 15 or 25 paid accounts supporting them and have every right to own them.

You're very good at picking out the one part of my posts which isn't the major point of the entire post. It's simply one point. A valid point. Telling that it's always the self-interested point you choose to comment on.

I have fourteen ****ing accounts and own several castles and keeps by the way.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd much rather have a customisable plot with the same storage as a castle. As mentioned already in the thread I only have a castle for the storage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
+1 on the customize, as far as big ugly blue crystal cubes...that is easy to avoid by limiting what they can be customized with thru the customize menu. It would definitely make a lot of people happy.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let us customize our own keeps and castles. The contest is fun but it isn't what we, the players, want.

Allow at least keeps to be placed in Malas. It's only a little bit larger footprint than an 18x18.

Give keeps and castles the same storage and lockdowns. Many players only have a castle because of the storage capability. I personally always preferred the keep over the castle. Others do as well. 25x25 is a lot of land, not everybody wants a castle sized plot. If they had the same storage it would be a huge new option for a lot of players.
THAT is what I've been saying since I found out about this "contest" nonsense.

Reminds me how my mother-in-law loved to spend Sundays looking at all kinds of "custom" houses... and not a single thing beyond wall color was customizable, YET they call it "custom" to get a higher price. I also feel these keeps and castles are hardly logical or practical. Its a popularity contest, not about best design. Thus, its rubbish. :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Give the 18x18 castle storage.

Then remove keeps and castles from the house menu.

As the existing keeps and castles fall, they won't be able to be replaced, and will actually open up more lland for placement in the long run...in case we ever get a new player :p

Plus this will remove the "can't place keeps in Malas" BS that's in place, since we won't need a keep/castle anymore to get the storage space

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're very good at picking out the one part of my posts which isn't the major point of the entire post. It's simply one point. A valid point. Telling that it's always the self-interested point you choose to comment on.

I have fourteen ****ing accounts and own several castles and keeps by the way.
LMAO You get called out for something you said and then whine about it then you turn around and admit that you are one of the people that you put down and then come on here and try to make me out to be the bad guy, TOTALLY PRICELESS

Can't wait to hear some more of your wisdom.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're an idiot. Where in my post did I put anyone down.? I've said in numerous posts over the years I'm a multi-account holder. Not my fault your memory is ****.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1) I could really care less about the "selling point" of castles.
Answer = I don't care either .. however if you think I am going to give up the storage on MY castle for it to be the same as a Keep .. you are so wrong I won't even go into it & I am sure those who worked hard to GET a castle feel the same way ..

2) The devs have affected and or ruined the "selling point" of hundreds of things in the game over the years.
Answer = has Nothing to do with your " thoughts" about making a keep the same storage as a castle//4

3)There's more non-castle owners then there are castle owners.
Answer = Don't care.. that didn't effect how hard I had to work for my castle … nor does what I do or have effect anyone else ...

4) Especially with one player owning 10, 15, even 25 castles
Answer = Who has 25 castles??? And guess what? I don't care & I don't think others care that much either - I think the game would be all the better for it . A lot of players want ( if not more players) more people paying for more accounts ...

5) A castle isn't the end all be all of the game like it once was, the storage is.
Answer = That's your " idea/ thought " though if you want to give me one of your castles it wouldn't hurt my feelings ..

6) We all pay the same amount to play, we all get the same crap dished out to us every holiday and anniversary. Too many of us are hoarders but that's the way UO is. It's like a second life to some. Just because you lucked out and got a castle spot(s) all those years ago or have billions gold to buy one, you still pay the same $10/month as everyone else yet have 3000 more lockdowns.
Answer = doesn't make any difference how long I've played ( but since 1997 )for your base info .. you many have played for 3 months and have event items I do not have ... so ??? And if you do not want the gifts they out for Holiday etc , why get them ? You are not obligated to go get them..

7) As a side effect of the value of a castle going down, wouldn't that logically mean the value of keep would go up? Malas aside, a lot of players would desire a keep nearly as equal as a castle if the storage were the same.
Answer = Go buy some garden sheds if you want more space .. and where do you get that reason from??

8) NO to placing in Malas- on almost every shard there are places you can " place" homes - it may not be a keep or castle -
Answer = When Malas opened it was stated there would not be "placement " for Keeps or Castles - there are shards where very frequently you can place home sin Luna ..

9 ) I have fourteen ****ing accounts and own several castles and keeps by the way.
Answer = Good for you!!! Very proud of you .. Atta Boy!! ..
In the very real world of economics.. everyone is not going to have what everyone else has... Even though UO is a " fantasy world " that does not include making everyone " equal" … yet...

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont understand why people complain about "Eye Sores" with keeps and castles. After all, isnt that what we have with customizable houses now. There really isnt too many options for a square to begin with.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give the 18x18 castle storage.

Then remove keeps and castles from the house menu.
That would be a horrible idea. Sorry.

I had a LOT of fun playing around with a custom castle on test shard. I made a REALISTIC castle. A town. A large abbey. The possibility is endless vs. this near "Borg Cubes" I keep seeing winning the contests.

Not that I ever see getting a castle on Atlantic... however I could easily see making a FACTORY that no 18x18 could hold. Besides garden beds... we have all those nice crafting tables (one coming with this new publish. These are new and cant fit in my work area today. I'd love to pop over to a factory, work crafts, grow plants. All in 1 house. Never mind the warehouse. And yeah, you could have a 7x7 with castle storage and it would be a horrid mess. Some of us really enjoy decorating AND custom building. In a classic castle... there is just too much wasted space and garden sheds are just insane... the idea of filling a house full of them. I've seen it! Still not my cup of tea. :)

A Cat

Visitor
The current developers are a cash grab operation. They are riding this thing until EA pulls the plug. They wont listen. IMHO, fire broadsword and hire another development team. The game is EOL.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont understand why people complain about "Eye Sores" with keeps and castles. After all, isnt that what we have with customizable houses now. There really isnt too many options for a square to begin with.
I agree with you. There's already bad house designs in the game. The issue could be minimized though. GMs could take action on hideous designs. The devs could limit the tile sets available for keeps & castles. A submission process could be used. There's many options beyond this contest. Ten or so of the current top 20 are horrid already yet received votes. So not everyone thinks they are hideous. Until they're your neighbor that is.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could really care less about the "selling point" of castles.
Answer = I don't care either .. however if you think I am going to give up the storage on MY castle for it to be the same as a Keep .. you are so wrong I won't even go into it & I am sure those who worked hard to GET a castle feel the same way ..
You'll have to explain how it is you figure giving keeps the same storage as a castle means you "give up storage on YOUR castle."

Answer = It doesn't.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you. There's already bad house designs in the game. The issue could be minimized though. GMs could take action on hideous designs. The devs could limit the tile sets available for keeps & castles. A submission process could be used. There's many options beyond this contest. Ten or so of the current top 20 are horrid already yet received votes. So not everyone thinks they are hideous. Until they're your neighbor that is.
Most of the votes are either multiple accounts, guild members or as ive seen recently, BOUGHT through chat.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too would like that all houses have the same storage. Like it's been stated we all pay the same monthly fee. I have 5 castles and 2 houses so why shouldn't they all have the same storage? I've designed castles on TC during the contest and came up 6th on the 1st round and 8th (or 7th since they tied) and would love to have my design available to me (and others). I am not against having an option to build a design on TC, get it approved and for a fee get it moved to the Production shards or to at least my shard and have it available for use.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all I would really like is to be able to access the little court yards of my keep, that would make me happy.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry. You could never expect GMs to be "allowed" to judge what is an ugly house. No one should hold a gun to someone's head about design. Its totally unfair.

It would be no different then going back to the no-choice classic designs. Some are cute... some are ugly.

And I say that totally agreeing there is NO SHORTAGE of UGLY houses. :)

I said awhile ago, they should give horrible design awards... that are like a curse on the house, a badge of shame... BUT as a joke.

Me, myself... I've learned SO much in little design tricks, décor tricks... stuff I have to relearn sometimes, over and over again. I wish I had saved designs, I've done, just for my own personal record because I know the stuff I did in the first few houses I'd never do again. Just like some things I did and loved, cant remember at all what it was. Not without pictures! hehe. I think most people just commit the design and never try to improve it. BUT its the whole "Borg Cube" issue all over again. Frankly, I think the programmers should have built in a little line that forbids full size walls on the top floor. I had some wonderful jerk do that so I couldn't see my entrance... or anyone could see, until they were standing inside... but they couldn't see anything before going in. It was evil, mean, and disrespectful... BUT, why would any staffer care about that behaver? Its not in the ROC. "Dont block the view of other house owners". Its just common curtesy… and some people just dont have a clue on being kind to others. Its the world we live in. Wish it was better, but what-ev. Just have to smile and go on with life. AND/OR move to a different house. Thankfully I cant have neighbors in my clearing. ;)

Last edited:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Or just give 18x18 the same as keeps and castles. The footprint of the later 2 is crazy. Too much real estate and the designs suck.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG! I totally forgot. We got "mouse holes" once upon a time!

I remember getting one... and I have zero clue where it is... because I think I used it and they are almost impossible to see. :)

Lady Lavendar

Seasoned Veteran
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The mouse hole hasn't worked in a long time, and probably still doesn't, as far as I know. If someone knows otherwise for keeps, please post.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine may turn up if I "ever" customize my main house... maybe. But the sun will go out over our worlds before that happens. hehe

Sorry... dont mean to hijack the topic! I cant find anything on UOGuide or UOWik on the mouse-holes. Any idea how we got them?

I think they would be amazing to get in and out of a room without doors. At least... thats how they should WORK. You can easily see them inside the old Brit castle. However, only a mage could get in and out. Again, something wonderful about custom houses. ;)

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't place them against those walls anymore and infact they haven't worked at all in years.
You dont put it on the wall, you put it on the floor above and fall down. Of course you need to polymorph into a slime or something small.

Merth

Journeyman
Simplest solution ever allow keeps and castles to place doors and stairs. No other improvements needed over whats already in game

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No not on the old style keeps and castles, the existing walls can not be modified into doors. Players have asked for that option for many years, but they did make the court yards in castles useable.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're an idiot. Where in my post did I put anyone down.? I've said in numerous posts over the years I'm a multi-account holder. Not my fault your memory is ****.
No you are a butt hurt little child because you tried to put people down for owning more than one Castle and got called out on it then you turn around and admit you are one of the multi owners but it's ok for your sorry arse. Now that is priceless and I could care less if you don't read anything I post just yet another childish

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont put it on the wall, you put it on the floor above and fall down. Of course you need to polymorph into a slime or something small.
Well... it was a flawed design. If they had added a little crack or something... to help SEE it.

BUT... bugged is bugged. I dread to think of all the items that became bugged from birth... what the list would look like... like how many are "known" vs. ever getting fixed. Someone must have a great job, collecting a big check, doing... very little. ;)

As I've suggested before: How about a publish of just cleaning up all the loose threats? :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well... it was a flawed design. If they had added a little crack or something... to help SEE it.

BUT... bugged is bugged. I dread to think of all the items that became bugged from birth... what the list would look like... like how many are "known" vs. ever getting fixed. Someone must have a great job, collecting a big check, doing... very little. ;)

As I've suggested before: How about a publish of just cleaning up all the loose threats? :D
They did that once... it was not good... broke more stuff than it fixed...

While I agree they should go clean up so very very many things it's not likely to happen.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Coming soon!!! New and improved mousehole! Functioning and visible! Be the envy of your guild!
Get it now at the UOstore, only $20, err 2000 tokens, each!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Coming soon!!! New and improved mousehole! Functioning and visible! Be the envy of your guild!
Get it now at the UOstore, only $20, err 2000 tokens, each!
You know that could happen long before they fixed the old version! Nothing like sticking a hand out for motivation.

*File under "I can seriously do without it" and spend the money on Legos*. :)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well I placed some fireflies in the keep spots and then could not "reach them to take them back out" so if you do put a deeded item in there, hit your mark well or you'll have to pester a GM to remove it so you can try again :)