• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs, how about a book for 'house add-on deeds'?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over the years I've collected way more of these than I have power scolls, alacrity scrolls and even jewls. Most probably have hundreds if not a thousand deeds of some sort. A book for them would be great!

House add-ons
Granite tables
Christmas trees
Heritage deeds
etc...

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've asked for a Book of Deeds... something that I can put Vet reward item deeds in, shadow item deeds, crystal item deeds, all the deeds from the Spring Clean.... deeds from Blacksmithing and Tailoring BoD rewards, deeds from all the 100's of things we have gotten over the years... Deeded plants, deeded crafting items... things of this nature and I'd LOVE it to be like the BoD books and the new Recipe books where you can put it on a vendor and price things to sell...

Wish we could have it...

I also would like a book for anniversary tickets, christmas tickets... etc... but I know that ain't gonna happen... but a girl can dream.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do away with deeds and tokens as vet, holiday, anniversary, etc. Simply deposit whatever item(s) into the character backpack or bank. When something requires a choice to get an item, system randomly chooses one for you.

Easy peezy ... no more work needed, no more deeds. Deeds/tokens currently in-game are converted per the rules.

Jacob Centeno Centeno

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is a bid besides the point but while we are on the topic... I think we should have a t-map combine deed. ie. 20 level 5 to give a level 6 or whatever the agreed system should be. I think it would vastly improve t-mapping.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinks of all the junk deeds in the kings collection box when only 3 have any real use or value and 3-4 more have some marginal use and value............. but hey you might need that 50th castle painting someday and well you paid for it sooooooooo............

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
got to love the trash barrel lol. its much more important to have books for repair deeds or have npcs repair stuff.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just make it to hold any/all kinds of deeds.

Repair deeds
Commodity deeds.
Add-ons
Holiday Tickets etc...

I like how the Power Scroll book works with the skills divided up into categories first. Do the same for a deed book. Make it store like 500 deeds. Being able to price them like in a BOD book would be super cool too.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Over the years I've collected way more of these than I have power scolls, alacrity scrolls and even jewls. Most probably have hundreds if not a thousand deeds of some sort. A book for them would be great!

House add-ons
Granite tables
Christmas trees
Heritage deeds
etc...
Sure! However, do Dev's even read this forum anymore? When is the last time one posted?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sure! However, do Dev's even read this forum anymore? When is the last time one posted?
Devs read this stuff or not? Possibly but I doubt it. BUT (big but) we can come here and spout off frustration without getting booted or locked (for the most part). Then perhaps posters will be cooled down enough to post on the other place.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Devs read this stuff or not? Possibly but I doubt it. BUT (big but) we can come here and spout off frustration without getting booted or locked (for the most part). Then perhaps posters will be cooled down enough to post on the other place.
You must have done something to get booted on the official forum. Strange that I have been booted here but never on the other forum and believe me I am just as much an ******* there as here.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You must have done something to get booted on the official forum. Strange that I have been booted here but never on the other forum and believe me I am just as much an ******* there as here.

I think he is saying people have more freedom here. So, some may vent here and wait until they cool down to post there. If he didn't that. I will.

I do not think he is saying he was booted on the other forum. I have only seen a banned tag on 1 poster there. :)

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
In case you weren't aware most of those deeds, especially the christmas related ones, now have decent cleanup point value if you dump them in the cleanup chests. I doubt a storage book allowing players to hoard even more is going to happen when there's already too many floating around. In fact this book would allow players to cross-shard transfer a lot of cleanup pts to their main shard and so probably shouldn't happen.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think he is saying people have more freedom here. So, some may vent here and wait until they cool down to post there. If he didn't that. I will.

I do not think he is saying he was booted on the other forum. I have only seen a banned tag on 1 poster there. :)
I am a member of both forums and believe me when I say that I know of only 1 person that got a timeout on the official forum and it took a lot, I mean a lot to get a timeout and he has many timeouts here for far less.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nope. I logged in once there and posted my dislike of needing to use my game creds for the forum. Logged out and never returned. IMO, crappy security and all that rot. Sooo, essentially @Pawain was correct.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope. I logged in once there and posted my dislike of needing to use my game creds for the forum. Logged out and never returned. IMO, crappy security and all that rot. Sooo, essentially @Pawain was correct.
LOL So you think the site has bad security but use it anyway just to tell them so, now that is priceless and better yet not one account has been hacked because of the official forums. And again I have been given timeouts here but have not received one there. One person has gotten a timeout there and it took a lot more to get it where here it can become a personality thing from the mods but over there the MODs so far have been consistent with their warnings.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Spartan is correct on the security though. Whether you log in or not, the database of users and passwords are now accessible to anyone with a browser instead of needing a client to access it.

not one account has been hacked because of the official forums
You don't know this for sure. If it did happen, I promise BS would do anything they can to cover it up. Also, if someone hacked the site, UO accounts would probably be a secondary interest at best. There are other things that those usernames and passwords could be used for that are far more lucrative. There are places on the internet that pay for username and password data obtained by hacking websites just like the one in question. Nobody cares about all the pixels you've collected when they can get cash instead.

This cannot be stressed enough:
Using a different username and/or password for all of your online accounts should be a very common practice, yet the minor inconvenience causes most people to not follow this basic rule. This is why it is unacceptable for BS to use game credentials to log in to their forum, as it takes away the freedom of their customers to follow very basic web security practices.

Wait! Am I in a thread about an add-on deed book? Since I'm here... Sure, make a book... Make it unblessed and unbless all add-on deeds too while you're at it. Too much blessed junk exists as it is. I couldn't even steal a guys coffin at a funeral a few weeks ago... Pancakes!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Spartan is correct on the security though. Whether you log in or not, the database of users and passwords are now accessible to anyone with a browser instead of needing a client to access it.

You don't know this for sure. If it did happen, I promise BS would do anything they can to cover it up. Also, if someone hacked the site, UO accounts would probably be a secondary interest at best. There are other things that those usernames and passwords could be used for that are far more lucrative. There are places on the internet that pay for username and password data obtained by hacking websites just like the one in question. Nobody cares about all the pixels you've collected when they can get cash instead.

This cannot be stressed enough:
Using a different username and/or password for all of your online accounts should be a very common practice, yet the minor inconvenience causes most people to not follow this basic rule. This is why it is unacceptable for BS to use game credentials to log in to their forum, as it takes away the freedom of their customers to follow very basic web security practices.

Wait! Am I in a thread about an add-on deed book? Since I'm here... Sure, make a book... Make it unblessed and unbless all add-on deeds too while you're at it. Too much blessed junk exists as it is. I couldn't even steal a guys coffin at a funeral a few weeks ago... Pancakes!
REALLY FACT If UO.COM was hacked or if an account was hacked through UO.COM then where is the post with the whine that OMG My account was hacked. It would be all over UOStratics.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
REALLY FACT If UO.COM was hacked or if an account was hacked through UO.COM then where is the post with the whine that OMG My account was hacked. It would be all over UOStratics.
Once again, your ignorance has caused you to miss the point completely. Hackers don't want your UO pixel junk. They want your username and password. If the site was hacked you probably wouldn't even know because only people who care about this ancient game would want to hack your account. If you recycle username and password information they could use it to access your bank account, or your social media accounts, or whatever online account where you use the same credentials. By using your UO account credentials for their forums, the size of the attack surface of the database which stores that information was increased whether you choose to believe it or not.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once again, your ignorance has caused you to miss the point completely. Hackers don't want your UO pixel junk. They want your username and password. If the site was hacked you probably wouldn't even know because only people who care about this ancient game would want to hack your account. If you recycle username and password information they could use it to access your bank account, or your social media accounts, or whatever online account where you use the same credentials. By using your UO account credentials for their forums, the size of the attack surface of the database which stores that information was increased whether you choose to believe it or not.
LMAO So according to you nobody wants your UO stuff but you are afraid of getting hacked, what a concept. That is like saying I better put the best car anti-theft system on my Desoto or better yet a Studebaker beater because it might get stolen even though nobody would want it. TY for the good laugh with your whatever logic.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lol... Can you read?

Hackers don't want your UO pixel junk. They want your username and password.
If you recycle username and password information they could use it to access your bank account, or your social media accounts, or whatever online account where you use the same credentials.
I don't know how I could be more clear.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well since I started this thread I'll comment on the current conversation.

Most, if not ALL security experts agree that one of the most basic internet/account security measures to use is TO NOT USE the same username and passwords for any, many or all your online accounts. However, published information from past hacks proves over and over that people DO INDEED use the same login info across their online life. Millions of people still use the most stupid passwords that exist, for example "password" or "12345". People are that lazy.

So what the stolen login information is then used for is not to steal your UO account, it's used when they brute force login attempts at Wells Fargo or BoA, USBank, etc. If even only 1 or 2% of the thousands of stolen logins are successful then now they steal your cash. Does that make sense? Millions of people really do use the same username and password for multiple accounts. Bank accounts, utility companies, social media accounts, Amazon, PayPal, Walmart, Ebay, ALL of it, because they are too lazy and too stupid to follow a basic internet account security concept.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yeah, while I do read the "Official Forums" over there, I have never created an account. So I cannot participate in the discussion there. I refuse to give out my account information to anyone. No one has ever been given my UO account information in 20 years playing UO. My wife doesn't know it. That's just how I am. Hell, it bugs the crap outa me that the account management and EA store are so linked up, but at least they don't have the password to every individual one of my 14 accounts.

I have an encrypted file, will all my accounts/login/pw on an encrypted thumb drive in a fireproof lockbox, in a safe buried in concrete. When I die, my wife & son have the pw to access the info. Seriously!

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thank you @Ezekiel Zane. I apologize for contributing to the derailment of your post. But I couldn't allow for someone to advocate for the practice of reusing usernames and passwords for 2 accounts that should be separate. It is the developer's responsibility to keep our credentials safe and increasing exposure to the database that contains this information was a poor choice on their part.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh yeah, while I do read the "Official Forums" over there, I have never created an account. So I cannot participate in the discussion there. I refuse to give out my account information to anyone. No one has ever been given my UO account information in 20 years playing UO. My wife doesn't know it. That's just how I am. Hell, it bugs the crap outa me that the account management and EA store are so linked up, but at least they don't have the password to every individual one of my 14 accounts.

I have an encrypted file, will all my accounts/login/pw on an encrypted thumb drive in a fireproof lockbox, in a safe buried in concrete. When I die, my wife & son have the pw to access the info. Seriously!
You don't need to create an account there. It uses your UO login credentials. The very practice I came to argue against.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You don't need to create an account there. It uses your UO login credentials. The very practice I came to argue against.
So it doesn't matter if you log in or not. The info is there and if it is hacked, they can get it.

So, why do people not use the site because they think they will be hacked?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So it doesn't matter if you log in or not. The info is there and if it is hacked, they can get it.

So, why do people not use the site because they think they will be hacked?
I don't know of anyone who doesn't use it for that reason. All I have stated was that it is a poor security practice and the devs should not have done it. Personally, I don't use the site because I only subscribe every few months to sell the stuff I collected on my EJ account. You are right though, no reason not to use the site since the damage is already done.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do we know for sure the info is already there. Maybe it's not there until you login that one time and it checks with the UO login server.

I don't know. I hadn't thought that the info would be already transferred from the login database. Wow! If so, that's just awful.

It must be connecting with the login servers, or our info is stored in another database off the server and it's updated in realtime, otherwise how would any new UO accounts gain access to the forums?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the old, old, old UO forums, the official ones, weren't some people banned from the game for their behavior on the forums? I seem to remember that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is awful and yes it's already there... waiting for you to use it... but it's that very practice and principle that makes me NOT ever use it and I won't. I refuse to post there.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is awful and yes it's already there... waiting for you to use it... but it's that very practice and principle that makes me NOT ever use it and I won't. I refuse to post there.
Unfortunately, that doesn't protect you. But I do understand your refusal to post there.

Honestly, I really hate the traction that this conversation has received. I would really like for more people to want to play this game and my negativity certainly doesn't help. But please for the love of all that is holy..... DO NOT REUSE USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS! Especially for your UO account! Please everyone that is reading this, go now and change your UO password, it's not that hard and won't hurt at all. Also, make sure it is unique, and not stupid.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope people understand that their UO login user name is NOT the user name being displayed. You use your login just like logging into the game and you pick a name that is displayed on your posts. No where does it display your log-in information.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I hope people understand that their UO login user name is NOT the user name being displayed. You use your login just like logging into the game and you pick a name that is displayed on your posts. No where does it display your log-in information.
Sry but you are missing @Stinky Pete 's point. Its not what you see that will be stolen, its you credentials from the database, including your password, and also your email sign-on likely. That is what hackers are looking after. I appreciate @Stinky Pete 's words of caution. If you notice, he is not knocking the idea of UO having their own message board for whatever reason, but it is the idea of mandating that you post your credentials to be able to post there. Thank you Pete, you are not that Stinky after all bud..:)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sry but you are missing @Stinky Pete 's point. Its not what you see that will be stolen, its you credentials from the database, including your password, and also your email sign-on likely. That is what hackers are looking after. I appreciate @Stinky Pete 's words of caution. If you notice, he is not knocking the idea of UO having their own message board for whatever reason, but it is the idea of mandating that you post your credentials to be able to post there. Thank you Pete, you are not that Stinky after all bud..:)
I resent that... Ask anyone.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I resent that... Ask anyone.
Ok Ok. you are Stinky..But I appreciate you post above anyway. LOL did not mean to offend you by calling you non-stinky. Agree being Stinky has it benefits. Anyway I thank you kindly for the warning on security..

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, I want to reiterate that I never said that the site has bad security. It could be (and probably is) as good as can be expected for a modern site. I'm jist saying that using the same credentials is a poor and totally unnecessary practice.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay, I read this far and gotta say something before I bust.

@Lord Frodo I actually can understand some of your disbelief. Have you spent many years in IT and system security at all? Because what @Ezekiel Kain wrote on usage of same password/username in two or more places is true.

For the record ... it set my nerves jangling when they setup the forums like that. I voiced my displeasure and why, but nicely. I then logged out knowing it still made no damn difference because of the database linkage. I am retired, but spent 40+ years in IT, with the last 27 in a nuclear power plant and doing application and network security.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have you spent many years in IT and system security at all?
I think the answer to this is obvious. The ferocity at which he can argue on a subject he clearly doesn't understand is astounding. I'm guessing he's in sales.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could really see a common house add-on book amazingly helpful for vendor sales.

Considering everything is the same generic color (unless you go through the extra work to dye them), shoppers are left to click on every single thing... taking loads of time.

Sales are so sluggish these days, even on Atlantic. It would also help with keeping vendor prices down... not that most things wouldnt be 1k. It would be far more organized if you could sort by category.

I'll have to point out, inside the BOD books... the newer craftable categories have no file system and are a big pain in the backside. Yes, you have 10, 15, 20... normal or whatever. But they sure could have more to them by view. I also just cleaned out a friend's house of dozens of lose recipes that have been taking up space for YEARS. I really hate that file system. I like the Power Scroll one... and the others way more. Just saying. They should take the extra steps to make them easier to find things. In the case of house add-ons... it may be impossible, cooking vs. training. Bedroom vs. general furniture. Still, I could get behind this type book for the betterment of the non-crafting community. :) That is the meat and potatoes of vendorizing at a proper mall. hehe

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Also, I want to reiterate that I never said that the site has bad security. It could be (and probably is) as good as can be expected for a modern site. I'm jist saying that using the same credentials is a poor and totally unnecessary practice.
i think most of us here (perhaps except one) agree with you.