• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Devs) Geek Question: Wombat

• Thread starter imported_Coldren
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Coldren

Just a bit of geeky curiosity:

The Wombat engine - What does it look like? What kind of tools do you guys use for debugging, compiling, etc?

This is a 10-year old proprietary coding system that still runs today. I'd LOVE to see some screenshots or descriptions about what it actually consists of from a technical standpoint, and how you work with it. Obviously nothing that would make for a vulnerability or violate some some aspect that makes it proprietary, but just a taste.

Kinda like an expose.. Wombat: The Engine that Could!

Plus, knowing a little bit about the engine will help me figure out what skills I need to brush up on the next time a job position opens up.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Do your own research.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oooo.. Nice link, if that's the actual engine. That's a great abstract. Thanks!

However, I'm more curious about how they implement it. Obviously the engine has "been around the block", so I'd like to know more "This is how we at EA/Mythic use this engine" kind of information, tools, etc. Also, even at it's rudimentary level, this abstract doesn't even say what language the engine was designed in... Procedural (LISP)? OO(C/C++)?

Again, a good start, but I'd like to know more about the big picture.

[Edit]

Also, this site says it was a student project in Fall of '97.. Did they implement it into the game in less than, or in about a year?

I

imported_Spiritless

C isn't OO; it's procedural.

Good luck finding out any further information from EA about this topic.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

C isn't OO; it's procedural.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Slaps head*

Yeah, don't know why I said that. My bad. Must have been reading to much into Structs, and I just didn't make the distinction.

And yeah, they probably can't give much, but it never hurts to ask.