• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs: Can you rethink the pet control equations please?

S

Sarphus

A while back the pet control equation was changed to make it harder to get away with controlling high-end pets with low-end tamers. The problem is that the changes to the equation also cause high-end tamers to fail to control low-end pets (which doesn't make any sense at all).

I'm all for a comprehensive control equation that encourages tamers to use the vet skill or something, but what I really want to talk about is pet control.

IMO, a tamer with 120 taming, 120 animal lore and 120 vet should not fail to control any sub-100 pet ever. I frequently run frenzied ostards and bake kitsune on a tamer that is 3x 120 and he frequently fails pet commands on his sub-100 pets.

Please fix this.

S

Sarphus

I realize you're being sarcastic, but this isn't a bug. It's just a really poor way to determine pet control chance.

R

Revenant2

The also affects anyone attempting to control a lesser hiryu, both bushido masters and tamers.

I reported this already, back when they changed it, and they didn't believe me! heh.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I realize you're being sarcastic, but this isn't a bug. It's just a really poor way to determine pet control chance.
no i'm not and this sounds like a bug to me

"The problem is that the changes to the equation also cause high-end tamers to fail to control low-end pets"

E

Eslake

IMO they just overthought the whole thing.

Rather than twiddle with the over under junk and revamp the whole system they should have just left it alone and added a flat 35% penalty for under-owning.

So if you had 90 taming and a 99-to-tame pet, it would use the Same control formula but with a hard -35% penalty.

R

Revenant2

Lesser hiryus are a mess right now. They say "at 90 bush you can ride one" but the whole thing falls apart because the pet disobeys so frequently that it can't be maintained. Even when you get higher levels of bushido its a problem and when I tested on test center, even 120 bushido didnt work well. My 107 taming/120 lore tamer keeps getting disobedience out of lessers too, its ridiculous. My greater dragon seems to disobey less than a lesser.

Real world Bushido people I talk to about their lessers tell me how they keep losing their lessers due to them going wild during attempted normal use. My own former bird-owning bushido guy no longer carries bushido and I didn't wait for my birds to go wild in the middle of a fight. I completely stopped using them when I tested and discovered the obedience problem and then eventually got rid of Bushido on that character completely.

If someone meant to take away lesser hiryus from the real-world bushido template people who do stuff in uncontrolled situations (such as PVP), that person succeeded. If the player is never-fresh-rez and always has food for it, and always has time to dump a tidbit on the piece of **** when it refuses a command, then it's sorta usable. But its not good otherwise.

S

Sarphus

no i'm not and this sounds like a bug to me

"The problem is that the changes to the equation also cause high-end tamers to fail to control low-end pets"
Sorry, I thought you were making fun of me lol

With the pet control fail rate I've been having at 3x 120, I can only imagine how annoying this problem is for people who aren't maxed out.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the pet control fail rate I've been having at 3x 120, I can only imagine how annoying this problem is for people who aren't maxed out.
As far as I know, the Veterinary has no contribution to Pet Control.

When I returned I was rather disappointed that they had .... changed how things are done in terms of control and transfers.

I had a Forest Ostard (I am Lore(120)/Taming(120)) disobey me ... once.

I have a 83.x Tamer on the other account, that I am raising to 106, but only 50 Lore, taming bulls etc they things will NOT obey him ever. I am doing this to maximise my chances to skill up :( (what a waste)

S

Sarphus

As far as I know, the Veterinary has no contribution to Pet Control.

When I returned I was rather disappointed that they had .... changed how things are done in terms of control and transfers.

I had a Forest Ostard (I am Lore(120)/Taming(120)) disobey me ... once.

I have a 83.x Tamer on the other account, that I am raising to 106, but only 50 Lore, taming bulls etc they things will NOT obey him ever. I am doing this to maximise my chances to skill up :( (what a waste)

Right, just lore and taming effect pet control. I'm just saying that I'm ok with them forcing tamers to take on vet, because I don't think animal taming was ever intended to be a 2 skill profession. Actually, I think it was intended to be a 4 skill profession, but herding doesn't have very good ties to taming.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right, just lore and taming effect pet control. I'm just saying that I'm ok with them forcing tamers to take on vet, because I don't think animal taming was ever intended to be a 2 skill profession. Actually, I think it was intended to be a 4 skill profession, but herding doesn't have very good ties to taming.
I am right with ya on the Veterinary and it is kind of a shame they do not put Pack Pets in as 1 Stable Slot, if Herding is at an appropriate level. I might even suggest increasing the Pack limit dependent on the Herding Level.

In an expanded (and probably out of control) version, I could see Pack Pets being 1 Control slot, with the number of pets in the pack being caped by your herding skill. The Pack could be given a Name, such as Frenzied and all would obey Frenzied attack/kill.

In this construct, one could have 5 Packs. I think this would of course be ... well the subject of conversation here shortly after implementation.