• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs can we have a new forum on the trade group...''old school uo''

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just asking weve got like'' uo trade ''which is basically new uber armour and weapons and jewels at crazy prices- fuelled by low gold prices....

weve got the ''rares trade'' which is the em stuff at silly head blowing prices...again fuelled by etc etc etc

can we have a ''old school trade'' for the likes of older players that aint really bothered anymore about the bling bling ding ding.. happy to have the odd awesome server birth the've cherished for many years and happy to collect/ trade the old exceptional stuff / blessed stuff etc...and the simple old holiday stuff like bells and statues they are missing for a old collection they still wanna complete..... so it dont get confused with the new em stuff on the rares board or the new armours/weapons on the uo trade board.....

simple request... is this the right place to ask ????

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kirthag what do you think? I personally would love to see a little more divided trade area. I agree with @THP that each of the trade boards can get a little cluttered from time to time.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dunno, we have the "non rares trade" which is barely used, and while i agree that the main 2 trade forums do get "cluttered" at times, i also like being able to see everything on one page.

Personally i dont see why gold amount should be an issue. The reason that lower priced things often dont get much interest i dont think is a problem of "value" but more of time / convenience. If those things can be found on vendors, its usually worth paying a little extra to not have to arrange meeting up with someone.

What i would really like to see is more use of the "non-rares" trade forum. This could be done if NO SPAWNING ITEMS were for sale in the rares forum. This would also provide more security/buyer confidence that everything they see in the rares forum is in fact rare.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The idea behind them is rares is for EM stuff and any other items no longer obtainable, the traders hall is supposed to be for both price checks and discussions about anything that does not fit into the rares collector category, although it is mostly used for selling pvp gear nowadays, and UO non-rares trade is for the sale of any items in the game, whether they are worth 10 gold, or 100 million, including houses.

So what you are describing already exists, it's the UO non-rares trade forum. if you want that section to become more popular, start posting your stuff there :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What i would really like to see is more use of the "non-rares" trade forum. This could be done if NO SPAWNING ITEMS were for sale in the rares forum. This would also provide more security/buyer confidence that everything they see in the rares forum is in fact rare.
It's already a rule that items that still spawn in the game cannot be sold in the rares forum for that exact reason, if you see any items for sale in rares collector that should not be there and still spawn, report the post and I will gladly move it to the appropriate forum :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
True, but each EM drop is different so they still count as rares ;)

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I vote for a THP forum, which will only contain threads started by TCP and content added by THP, so that we can all go and get a dose of THP whenever we need to without searching the forums. THP!!!

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps we could create an EM Event Items Forum.

Thoughts?

Em events have been the only "rares" in game for years. People remembering "server births" or "old school rares" is a nice trip to reminisce on. "Server births" are the most duped items in game, because they were introduced and were made popular in an era when mass duping was rampant.

If you would like to see an "EM Event Items Forum" that allows and encourages the trade and sale"server births", "old school rares" and Em items, see the link below.

https://stratics.com/community/forums/uo-rares-collector.43/

Disclaimer: It's highly likely that people are not selling or buying what THP is interested in because no one else is interested in buying or selling it.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i disagree... new em event items needs to be set free from old school server births....Can u see the strangeness when some multibox player is trying to sell the latest multi-coloured all singing-dancing chimp next to some old school vet trying to sell on his treasured old 2 piece scaffold....we need to distiguish between old school true rares and the em stuff...

Disclaimer...Wootsauce stop trying to be the school clown/joker...it dont work mate!!!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There should be a section for armour/jewels/weapons.

Also the "rares" section does not only contain non spawning items. Blaze cu anyone? I've never seen these get moved out of the rares section.

Actually "rares" is not the correct name. It should be "non spawning items". If your going to do a job, do it properly!

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hi everyone.

Trade Boards are a very hot topic for us.

We are actually looking at other ways to run non-RMT trades that is beneficial for both those selling and those buying.
To be brutally honest, these forums are not the place. It just sort of evolved that way after Ebay was bannable.

To be perfectly clear - the Trade Boards are staying the way they are, FOR NOW. We have some other priority items to go over and settle on (like some policies and our ROC). Once those are tackled, we will be setting up and testing new ways for Trades to work.

With that said, I can tell you I am understanding trades would work better if categorized as such:

By Shard
By Rarity
By Price
Auction or Buyout

Is this correct? You all who use the trade boards know better...

And by the by... the UO Developers are not the people to ask about the board... that would be us here at Stratics. :)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 sections would do....

section 1 - multiboxer trying to sell the latest multi-coloured all singing-dancing chimps and the like!!
sections 2- old school and true rares

thankyou @Kirthag....make it happen....

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 sections would do....

section 1 - multiboxer trying to sell the latest multi-coloured all singing-dancing chimps and the like!!
sections 2- old school and true rares

thankyou @Kirthag....make it happen....
THP nailed it right here. These are pretty much the only categories that are needed.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By Shard
By Rarity
By Price
Auction or Buyout
Shard doesnt really matter because 90 percent of trades take place on Atlantic, its usually noted in the post/thread where the trade will take place.
Rarity can really only be grouped by spawning / non-spawning. Keep in mind that most things are posted here for a reason. Because they are either too expensive to sell on vendors, or would sit too long on vendors without finding the right person. The only spawning items i see for sale here are high end deco/pets (over 50m usually)
Jewels/weapons/armor have a different group and sell style than rares/deco
Price would be an extremely hard grouping. Not many people bother posting low end, common things that can be found in game, but it can be advantageous to post many low cost items in the same auction with high cost items items in order to draw attention.
Higher end things can sometimes have a huge pricerange. Ive seen identical items with over 1000% price difference.

A major selling style in addition to Auction / Buyout / Price is Offers. Many people, including myself dont know what an item may fetch. By posting a price it may turn off buyers, or short the seller if the price is too low. Usually (and this is very common especially with pvp gear) a seller will just post an item and if they see an offer that is acceptable they will sell. In general, especially with pvpers people want their items fast, so you often get a better straight out offer without an auction forcing any interested buyers to "wait" which doesnt go over well.

In short, in addition to Price or Auction, i would include a way to sell things for open ended offers with no set time frame.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks @Smoot - I appreciate the thought put into your reply.

Although "most trades take place on Atlantic" there are still trades on other shards, believe me - there are.

So, to even out the field, we have this:

• Shard (location of item for sale)
  • Rarity (spawn vs no-spawn)
    • Spawn (items that appear naturally in the game)
    • Non-Spawn items (event drops, holiday gifts)
  • Wearables
    • Manufactured (purely crafted)
    • Enhanced (a drop that has been altered)
    • Raw (a drop that has not been altered in any way)
  • Type of Trade
    • Auction (time limit with reserve)
    • Buyout (set price until sold)
    • Make Offer (similar to auction, but no time limit)

Does this sound about right?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks @Smoot - I appreciate the thought put into your reply.

Although "most trades take place on Atlantic" there are still trades on other shards, believe me - there are.

So, to even out the field, we have this:

• Shard (location of item for sale)
  • Rarity (spawn vs no-spawn)
    • Spawn (items that appear naturally in the game)
    • Non-Spawn items (event drops, holiday gifts)
  • Wearables
    • Manufactured (purely crafted)
    • Enhanced (a drop that has been altered)
    • Raw (a drop that has not been altered in any way)
  • Type of Trade
    • Auction (time limit with reserve)
    • Buyout (set price until sold)
    • Make Offer (similar to auction, but no time limit)

Does this sound about right?
looks ok, im a little confused about the wearables tho. this would include: non-rare arty static drop (like slither, blackthorn epuallette, rare wearable (conjurer's garb, EM drops), non-rare crafted, crafted armor/weapon, non-rare crafted armor weapon, shame-loot armor, enhanced (altered gargoyal, or special metal/leather etc) this all seems a little confusing and not sure why it needs to be an option.

are these to be totally separate forums or just tags?

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im a little confused about the wearables tho. this would include: non-rare arty static drop (like slither, blackthorn epuallette, rare wearable (conjurer's garb, EM drops), non-rare crafted, crafted armor/weapon, non-rare crafted armor weapon, shame-loot armor, enhanced (altered gargoyal, or special metal/leather etc)
So wearables is not really a "thing"?
I was thinking along the lines of PvP gear, jewelry and weaponry as well as m'arties and such. Wearable is a classification of items that are not quite uber or unique enough for the Rarity classification.
EM & Event Drops would most likely fall under Rarities as most of the time they are unique to a shard. Yes, some of these are wearable items, but their uniqueness jumps them toward a Rarity classification.

I'm presenting things a little upside down, let me share this to everyone...

upload_2015-3-24_8-53-4.png
This flow chart is by no means comprehensive, and I'm still working on it as Realty & Pets would possibly have some other divisions.

What is true is each item within the trade boards follow these rules:
  • Items are offered by a Player
  • Items are on specific Shards
  • Trades are either Auction, Buy Out or Make Offer types

Personally, I don't include many m'arties as "rares" for they can be gotten again and again if you work at it. And even though some items are _really_ hard to craft, if it is repeatable, it wouldn't be a rarity.
Items that are truly rare, like event items, server births items, items that can no longer be produced, customized/named items are things that would be classified under Rares.

All those 600-gem jewelry pieces I had, those are Rares. They cannot be made anymore.
A Pendant of the Magi can be crafted, that isn't a Rare. Its "rare" to see it made, but it can still be produced within the game.

Another example, a white valentine teddy bear that my nephew gave me before he left the game and added the most heart-felt text to, that I would consider an extreme rare.
That same white valentine teddy bear from "IB7331z" would be a Rare, but maybe not as valuable... or perhaps it would be.
All whispering roses are considered Rares, but I've seen badly named ones going for dirt cheap. I had "A whispering rose from A Drunk" - now that would be one hella expensive item!

Of course, a "rare" in UO is purely subjective to the community... someone who got that white teddy when my primary house fell a few weeks ago might have thought it junk and threw it away. *shrug*

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kirthag

Without knowing how these classifications would play out, how they would actually be used or lead to division of trade item fore sale postings i cant really make any more recommendations. What i will say, is keep in mind why people might post something. Very few people bother with using the forums for things easily found in game. For most people its not worth arranging a meetup for something with a very low gold value.

If i were to separate it myself i would just do:

rares
jewels/armor/weapons
spawning deco / crafting supplies / consumables

possibly pets and housing, again, people dont like to have to look too many places tho to cover everything, which is one of the reasons stuff rarely gets sold on the individual shard trade forums now, or the non-rares forum. Its easier just to check 2 places. rares forum and traders hall.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Agreed. I hate bouncing around myself.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have ideas regarding Trades? Right here is the place to say it...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hi everyone.

Trade Boards are a very hot topic for us.

We are actually looking at other ways to run non-RMT trades that is beneficial for both those selling and those buying.
To be brutally honest, these forums are not the place. It just sort of evolved that way after Ebay was bannable.
Why are these forums not the place? It's been working pretty well for everyone for many years.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Personally everything is fine the way it is to me. A one stop shop is ideal rather then tracking too many forums. If anything, I wouldn't mind if Stractics created more forum functions to classify type of trades you want to view, and then select only to view that type. For example, sometimes I like to only view who is selling, not buying, auction or trading. Other times I'd like to view who is buying and not selling, auction or trading. However if you want to get more specific, and let people classify their post as server birth, holiday, oddity, event item, ect, then create forum functions that allow players to only search for those types of rares within the same forum that would be awesome. Scanning through multiple forums would be difficult. Of course I don't know if it is possible to provide these functions or not.

Last edited:

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I foresee people of stratics needing a "forum gps" unit. There are forums on these boards that hardly see the light of day as it is yet we want to add more forums to add to the clutter and confusion? I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here but if anyone hasn't noticed the majority of the people that use these forums are "vet" players. With the forums that are already established here and unused how could adding more forums add to more people and more traffic to the site?

Just throwing my 2 cents in the matter.

Let the trolling begin lol

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whatever minor tags would be fine, just keep it simple and not too complicated. not too many areas, 2 or 3 forums max. able to discuss items while conducting a trade. Im fine with what we have but open to changes, like a "seller rating" or "scam alert" would be cool. anything too different or complicated tho people just will sell in game, convenience is key and why people post in the first place.

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't think many people know about this discussion that use these boards frequently so I am gonna tag it. I like some of the ideas being passed around like Smoot is saying but maybe some others input would help sort through some ideas.

@Assia Penryn @brianfreud2 @Pampa DH @Promathia @Meadhbh @Daegan @4gregu @Olcher @SoulWeaver @Decadence @Peekay @Alexander of ATL. @Restless @StonewallGL @Scott @Nabin @Goldberg-Chessy @The Turk @DJAd @Manticore @Pandora_CoD @UO Houses @pinkpandora @TheScoundrelRico @MalagAste @Laina @Longtooths

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the tag, @Dregg - You were spot on.. I don't bother checking this forum.

I think that the forums are fine the way they are. If someone wants something that is still spawning, they go to their shard forum.

Something that may add functionality is the addition of search tags created by original poster and a way to "search" based on those or better yet, modify their view of the forum based on their selected tags so they don't have to search everyday. Then if someone only wants to see server births they can use that tag. They may still get multi-sales with other items mixed in with server births, but that would help people find specific types. I would perhaps make the tags a selection that Stratics decides where they can select more than one rather than open to help people have specific searches rather than open interpretation of the seller. ex: One seller might say EM, another Event and thus cause confusion.

Some suggestions of tags...
EM - The events that are shard specific and held by EMs
Global Event - These are items that were held across all the shards - daemon blood comes to mind.
Holiday/Gifts - Gift Boxes, Rare Icy Patch, etc
Server Birth
Prepatch - Double Blessed, Sea Serpent Armor, Multi-Gem Jewelry, Etheral Horse
Old Crafted - Sewn, Green Clothing, [Exceptional] etc

Perhaps Stratics can run a couple contests on the rares forum that allows the user to "choose" a tag to add. They could use this to their advantage and make these contests for small piece of off-forum content related to UO AND RARES (guide etc) about a specific topic once a month . I know that would actually make me turn my head if I could make a tag for say... "Blackrock Related" or "**** Assia likes". lol. Okay, not the last one, but it would be amusing.

Last edited:

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I luv ideas!

Keep them coming!

And thanks @Dregg for tagging people! :party:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New tags would be great, but other than that there is nothing needing to be changed to the Rares or Trader forum. They are two of Stratics' most active forum. They provide so much information, spark such great discussions, and have been a great place to trade/sell for years.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm poking this up again.... as I want all of you to think for a moment...

... how about a SITE that operates like an auction site, but doesn't use real money.

I mean, a UO auction site where...
  • users can post their items in an auction format
  • UO gold is the currency (is not attached to your UO account - we don't do that)
  • sellers can remove bidders if they so wish to without admin assistance
  • the actual exchange would still be organized in-game (gold for item)
  • Direct communications would still be via icq or pms
  • sellers & bidders will be held accountable or be poorly rated by one another
  • conversation on an auction is limited to seller and bidders only - no bid, no post
  • bidders can report sellers they feel are fraudulent (this is something that would need testing)
Basically, an ebay-type site without currency.

Sellers can set reserve and such, bidders will bid.
Of course, this would mean a new registration on a new part of stratics but it will accomplish:
  • less trolling of auctions
  • more accountability by sellers and bidders
  • tracking of auctions for sellers and bidders alike
  • better control of auction for sellers
Auctions would then be totally removed from the forums - totally. We can still have a Trades DISCUSSION board - but otherwise, the actual auctions and items up for trade would be over on this other section of Stratics.

Now.... for those of you who are "serious traders" - keep in mind this is purely brainstorming. Just because I am asking doesn't mean we will be doing it. I will admit, part of my time has been exploring this notion and testing some things out.....

So, flame on - but be INTELLIGENT, RESPECTFUL AND MAKE YOUR POINT.

If you don't like the idea, then state WHY - don't just post, 'OMG Kirthag you so stoopid that is the lamest idea you've had... eveh!"
Tell me why it is lame!

After all, if we are talking COMMERCE, perhaps it should be in an area designed and built with controls FOR COMMERCE!

Now... *dons flame retardant gear and situates fire extinguisher for easy access* ... commence discussion.

NOTE: Some community members have already seen some of my testing on this idea. They are under an NDA and cannot outright comment on the testing and development. HOWEVER, I would like their thoughts shared here if they so wish to - just please keep out any commentary on the test site and things we have discussed in relation to that test site. Also, do not announce your NDA here - as that is a violation of the NDA as well.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm poking this up again.... as I want all of you to think for a moment...

... how about a SITE that operates like an auction site, but doesn't use real money.

I mean, a UO auction site where...
  • users can post their items in an auction format
  • UO gold is the currency (is not attached to your UO account - we don't do that)
  • sellers can remove bidders if they so wish to without admin assistance
  • the actual exchange would still be organized in-game (gold for item)
  • Direct communications would still be via icq or pms
  • sellers & bidders will be held accountable or be poorly rated by one another
  • conversation on an auction is limited to seller and bidders only - no bid, no post
  • bidders can report sellers they feel are fraudulent (this is something that would need testing)
Basically, an ebay-type site without currency.

Sellers can set reserve and such, bidders will bid.
Of course, this would mean a new registration on a new part of stratics but it will accomplish:
  • less trolling of auctions
  • more accountability by sellers and bidders
  • tracking of auctions for sellers and bidders alike
  • better control of auction for sellers
I've asked for this for years. No idea why it was never attempted before. Just the ability to leave feedback that can be traced more readily and easily would benefit us all. This has existed in the past on other sites. Granted Rupert Avery created his own site that did this better than any, but not many participated in it, never understood why. Perhaps the Stratics name alone can sustain it where his attempt failed.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've asked for this for years. No idea why it was never attempted before. Just the ability to leave feedback that can be traced more readily and easily would benefit us all. This has existed in the past on other sites. Granted Rupert Avery created his own site that did this better than any, but not many participated in it, never understood why. Perhaps the Stratics name alone can sustain it where his attempt failed.
Asked and answered. It was tried, and ultimately it failed. It is much easier and convenient to use the forums to sell items. A majority of the traffic that is left on Stratics is through the exiting trade boards. Why in the world would you try and fundamentally change that? If you want to implement this change please do so while keeping the trade forums open. Then just let the community decide which they prefer.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It was tried before? When? I don't remember that...

This is a brainstorm and I've been doing some private testing and tinkering on.... nothing is changing. I just wanna know if people have any intelligent thoughts on this before any dedicated "real time" is put into the project.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a site that I can not mention due to ROC that was devoted to selling UO items for gold in game. It had some success for awhile but ultimately it died out. As I said above it was more convenient to use the forums.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
okay, pretty sure I know which site you have in mind. thanks LT.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I misunderstood your suggestion, I was thinking you would leave the forums as is and create this new concept as an add-on, in addition to. I always advocate for more options over less.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I misunderstood your suggestion, I was thinking you would leave the forums as is and create this new concept as an add-on, in addition to. I always advocate for more options over less.
if it is feasible in the forums, then yes, it would be still in the forums. however, without some serious investment in programming, that is not the case. Hence the reason for my opening the discussion.

I want ppl's thoughts.

Last edited: