• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs, are responding to fish problems in Uhall

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the fishermen that have been seeing problems with the fishing quests... Just want you to be aware the Mark Mythic, is starting to respond to some of the problems. See the thread in Uhall, "Merely talking to fishmongers drops ones reputation with them". Maybe we can start getting some answers or fixes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thread: Merely "talking" to Fishmongers drops one's reputation with them ? View Single Post
Today, 02:12 PM #21
Mark_Mythic
UO Associate Designer

My Mood: Re: Merely "talking" to Fishmongers drops one's reputation with them ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The choice of fish is completely random. You are just having a run in with the RNG.

My thought was that people would just trade with each other and it would all even out.

We're working on an idea of what to do with the common lobsters and crabs, we are looking at adding them to community collections. I also want to add some recipes that use them.

Here's something you might want to know. The list of fish expands when you get a skill above 105. Thus, you will be seeing small orders again. The fish that are added are the dungeon fish. The fish required for this quest system fall into one of 4 categories... fish that must be caught near the shore, fish that must be caught in deep water, fish that must be caught in dungeons and fish that must be caught with a trap.

Since the chance to get big orders increases with the number of successful deliveries of one fish, working with a smaller list is advantagous.

However fish classes are weighted. There is a bracketed reward system and the number of fish in the order, modified by difficulty to get the various fish determines what bracket your reward comes from. Dungeon fish count triple. Trap fish count double. Etc.

I realize I'm probably going into too much detail here but it seems that I have not gone into enough detail before today and some of you were getting the wrong idea.

BTW, I have looked at the code and I can tell you for sure that talking to the fishmonger is not causing the bug, so talk to them as much as you want. That is not to say there isn't a bug, I'm still tracking it down and will fix it asap now that I am aware of it.

I think I know what is causing it and if I'm right it would generally affect players who have been doing the quest for a while and rarely affect players just starting out... which I why I didn't catch it before now.

I'll keep you posted.

Talking with fishmongers does not affect your reputation. Refusing quests from fishmongers does not affect your reputation with them. If it does, it's a bug.

The only thing that hurts your rep is dumping their crates overboard.

Your reputation is shared among all fishmongers. For a small peek at the design, as your character gets orders for fish, there is a record of those fish attached to your character. That list has data attached to it like how many times you have completed orders with that fish. When you talk to another fishmonger, he can check that list. That list is used to calculate your "reputation".

Please keep in mind that reputation is not actually an integer, the design goal was to emulate running a pro fishing business. No matter who you are in the fishing world, sometimes you get small orders. If you turned in every possible fish 6 times each in various orders, your chance to get a 6 line order would be 1/6.

With that in mind, certain rewards are only available to small orders and certain rewards are only available in large orders. An effort was made to make the small order rewards valuable but give incentive to advance. Large orders don't just give you the same stuff in larger quantities.

Each fish increments or decrements in quantities seperately. If you have done a ton of orders but have never rolled a cobia before, then it will be an order for 10 cobia.

The rewards for the fishing quest are designed for people who like to fish. The "real" money in the fishing quest are the baits that make catching enchanted fish a reasonable goal. Once people start figuring out what the new fish pies do and how they stack with other buffs, I expect you will make a lot of coin fishing them up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Mark_Mythic; Today at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Mark_Mythic

now we got the ball rolling:party::party::party:

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the comment that surprised me was how we were gonna make bank off the pies. Is anyone even selling these? I've got them on my vendor for 15k. I haven't moved one.

The amount of time it takes to do these quests... to get these baits, and the amount of bait it takes to catch the fish... I used over 400 koi baits to net 80 steaks. Oh and that is at 105 fishing skill...not like I can get it any higher! Maybe if I drop the price to 10k, but minus the cost of ingredients... selling all 80 wouldn't even make 750k. And on my shard a mil feels like a nickle to me.

I soooo want to find one good thing about the boosts to fishing in this "booster". So far it's a time sink and a whole lot of frustration. I could have at least said "hey they made mibs better"...but that didn't come with the booster.