• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet ~ Mugen January 16th 2018 (incomplete)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Larisa submitted a new Article:

Developer Meet And Greet ~ Mugen January 16th 2018 (incomplete)

(Disclaimer: I was unable to attend and as of this post the only transcript I have is missing the first 30 minutes of the meeting. If anyone has those missing minutes please e-mail them to me so I can complete this. [email protected])

EM Asiantam Translating most of the questions

Mesanna: this is somehting we are not changing at this time

EM Asiantam: he is insisting this is a matter of game balance

Mesanna: ok

EM Asiantam: thank you

Mesanna: thank you

Sisimaru: thank you

Mesanna: greetings

EM Asiantam: hello

EM Asiantam: ok he is an elf

EM Asiantam: as you know

EM Asiantam: elf always has night sight

EM...
Read more about this article here...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Asiantam: he is requesting
EM Asiantam: something like PUBG
Was just a matter of time, until someone requested a battle royale mode. Wouldn't be that hard to do, IMHO. The bus & parachute jump could be subsituted with moongates leading from the hub to the play field. And the fog would be poison/fire fields.
The question is though, where would you get all those people you need, to play a match...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
1-16-180013.jpg

I was late as well and only caught the very ending questions you posted above.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I gotta say - its nice that they have meet and greets but I dont' know if the questions are filtered or what - but most of these are asking for such non-sense things. Only a couple about real gameplay issues that need addressed.

With all the bugs and limitations of items in game - adding something like english tea seems like a colossal waste of time or adding a night potion which IMHO should not be another potion or crap but a toggle on your menu. If you want permenant dark nights - just flip the UI switch and the Elf nighsight ability will have no effect.

Davies locker question was legit.

A million bod book and bod questions unasked tho.

These meet and greets are not the best way to interact. You only talk to a handful of players. They should have an actual wiki or something where topics can be posted, debated and updated so someone later can read up on the conversation.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have taken to watching foreign channels, Japanese ones like JIB and NHK. The hosts have on many occasions added in the middle of a show that the translation for some was impossible as there is no equil in our or their language. I know this personally as in Hungarian there are quite a few words we have they don't know how to express in their words. Sometimes the direction of a sentence might be jumbled, this is due to how they talk. I have had fun with some translator programs trying to get a idea of how to ask things properly... its not easy.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These meet and greets are not the best way to interact. You only talk to a handful of players. They should have an actual wiki or something where topics can be posted, debated and updated so someone later can read up on the conversation.
If only someone could invent like a bulletin board or something electronically... oh wait, we have that. Just no one in pwer ever gives a real answer on it

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If only someone could invent like a bulletin board or something electronically... oh wait, we have that. Just no one in pwer ever gives a real answer on it
Mesanna doesn't care to interact with players or keep them informed! If she did she would've live streamed the 20th anniversary or AT least recorded it, luckily we have a solid community that did her job for her.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skittles boy are you so far off the mark!
I know for a fact from people who went her touch was in every move that happened. She spent days dealing to get best price and spot. Special guests and everything to go right. The lady is not an octopus. Not to mention dealing with a " threat" to all who were going with gun violence... rumors abound..
People behind the curtain work their fingers off to bring you what is possible... Not what you want ..well at least not all of it.. they try.
I know this is hard to swallow. Many here love to brow beat the lady. The thing is those same thugs who are after her hide did it to the previous LP and many before that the same again going back as far as we have had EA's fingers in the pot.
You don't get your way... or what you want to happen.. you make life miserable. The picking and bickering on said people..
Your being a bully.. and I for one am sick of it...
I for one have had enough of the bullying players here have taken to doing. Stop it.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know for a fact from people who went her touch was in every move that happened. She spent days dealing to get best price and spot. Special guests and everything to go right. The lady is not an octopus. Not to mention dealing with a " threat" to all who were going with gun violence... rumors abound..
People behind the curtain work their fingers off to bring you what is possible... Not what you want ..well at least not all of it.. they try.
I know this is hard to swallow. Many here love to brow beat the lady. The thing is those same thugs who are after her hide did it to the previous LP and many before that the same again going back as far as we have had EA's fingers in the pot.
You don't get your way... or what you want to happen.. you make life miserable. The picking and bickering on said people..
I for one have had enough of the bullying players here have taken to doing. Stop it.
I think not, this game doesn't stay afloat because of 200 players. She may have put a lot of effort into the party, but she forgot the BIGGEST and most important thing (including the entire UO community). Octopus or not, with today's technology it takes a solid 10 minutes to setup a live feed or delayed at that. Defend her all you want, but most of the UO community is tired of the lack of communication from the Dev team.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What a stupid waste of time.... I just dont believe the devs are even remotely interested in UO anymore.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What a stupid waste of time.... I just dont believe the devs are even remotely interested in UO anymore.
That I can say with all certainty is a lie. I know Kyronix loves UO and works very hard for it and everyone... And in her own way so does Mesanna. Might not be what you want but I know she loves UO.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I know the Dev Team work hard, we've seen how much time they spend on the test server with new content, the problem is that they don't have a free hand, everything is dictated by EA who are totally out of touch with UO and it's players. :(
I think things would be very different if the team had more control of the game's direction but that isn't likely to happen.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That I can say with all certainty is a lie. I know Kyronix loves UO and works very hard for it and everyone... And in her own way so does Mesanna. Might not be what you want but I know she loves UO.
Is this the same Kyronix that has been on vacation for 5 weeks so far? :p

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Everyone deserves a holiday! They probably get less throughout the year to make up, my husband took 3 weeks off at Christmas, yes he did get under my feet a bit...:rolleyes:

Callise

Journeyman
I gotta say - its nice that they have meet and greets but I dont' know if the questions are filtered or what - but most of these are asking for such non-sense things. Only a couple about real gameplay issues that need addressed.
Nahhhh... there were plenty of spots in line, and I could have easily taken one and asked a question. Perhaps priorities are different Asian shards - they seemed to be looking for a lot of role playing items. I anticipate the next one (on Atlantic) to be skewed towards what that shard looks for and places a priority on.

For example - on my shard (a low population shard), someone may ask that EM rewards become shard bound or for the city buff weekly donation requirement be lowered. Those questions probably wouldn't even occur to Atlantic pIayers to ask, because they aren't relevant.

If a meet and greet were held here on Uhall (and they really should) - the questions asked would be again be entirely different.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a meet and greet were held here on Uhall (and they really should) - the questions asked would be again be entirely different.
Indeed......WHEN will they restore the appearance of the Phoenix that nobody asked to be changed....and WHEN will they introduce Cinnamon Rolls.....
Proper questions not like these "client" or "lag" nonsense.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Okay I agree that Kyronix is an exception but still believe there is a general lack of enthusiasm from the devs. I got the impression from this transcript that our dear producer just doesn’t sound happy to be interacting w players and just isnt engaged. She always seems to sound annoyed.

Might also add that the format of these m&gs should probably change. Forming a line and players giving their two cents and expecting on the spot feedback w their ideas is unreasonable. There are barely any actual discussions... maybe whenever the devs want to introduce a new feature they should initiate the topic e.g. f2p and focus the discussion on that and get player opinions and continue it on forums. May be more productive...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Okay I agree that Kyronix is an exception but still believe there is a general lack of enthusiasm from the devs. I got the impression from this transcript that our dear producer just doesn’t sound happy to be interacting w players and just isnt engaged. She always seems to sound annoyed.

Might also add that the format of these m&gs should probably change. Forming a line and players giving their two cents and expecting on the spot feedback w their ideas is unreasonable. There are barely any actual discussions... maybe whenever the devs want to introduce a new feature they should initiate the topic e.g. f2p and focus the discussion on that and get player opinions and continue it on forums. May be more productive...
Problem with that is the former staff here were eager to please only too eager... a focus group formed by only people who want to wave their pom poms and praise your every move be it good or bad... doesn't really give a true opinion of things.

All too often those who criticize the norm are overlooked and their opinions are ignored... This is what got us VvV in its current state and many other things. Couple this with the DEVs not really playing the game.... at least not how the rest of us play... leads to all sorts of disturbing things.

You can't ask for an honest opinion from people who want to do nothing but please you. You could shellac a pile of poo and they would praise it as the best thing ever.

I fear this is how much will work in the future if they ever get their own forums up and running. If they want honest player opinions they need to not be afraid of the answers and ask people who aren't afraid to tell it like it is.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know the Dev Team work hard, we've seen how much time they spend on the test server with new content, the problem is that they don't have a free hand, everything is dictated by EA who are totally out of touch with UO and it's players. :(
I think things would be very different if the team had more control of the game's direction but that isn't likely to happen.
I don't see where this thinking comes from. After all, we know nothing about the chain beyond Mesanna.

I doubt EA said they shall not add filter options to the jewelry box...
I doubt EA says to not test EC before publishes...
I doubt EA said to change the Phoenix art..
.. refinements ..
.. new runebook style ..
.. despise revamp ..
.. new dye in store ..

I really doubt anyone from EA cares about those details. I rather think EA has some good influence in blocking off daydream stuff Bonnie would come up with. When Bonnie says "EA said I can't do this" I am more and more grateful, since experience shows her ideas are most of the time very little thought through.

I also still believe it was a call from EA to add an in-game shop and then add a FTP option. Bonnie was always assuring everybody the things are meant the stay the way they are. Then out of nothing she changes her mind and we go FTP. Yea, sure...

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know this is hard to swallow, but when you are responsible for all those couple thousand of customers, and you work your ass off for 200 of those, totally forgetting the other couple thousand of them, maybe you are just pretty bad at your job.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I also still believe it was a call from EA to add an in-game shop and then add a FTP option. Bonnie was always assuring everybody the things are meant the stay the way they are. Then out of nothing she changes her mind and we go FTP. Yea, sure...
I agree with that 100%! EA saw how well free-to-play games are doing and how many subscription games have changed to a free-freemium-sub model and they want a piece of the pie, but they are doing it all wrong and in a 20 year old game that won't be making any changes to accommodate the free play model it's a bit doomed to start with!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petemage this is where your went off the track...

EJ is not F2P.
After reading the information on what it will and will not cover tells you this is nothing more then the 14 day trial made open ended.
The vast amount of things they are limited to use or go to make it clear this is not F2P.

The list of things you gave can be answered quite quickly.
The main reason is Time.
How do you put out a publish that is filled with changes and new content with a handful of people and a short time limit?
Some things do get over looked. This leads to bugs too.
Each project in a publish they do try to work out all the bugs and items... I have heard in Test the dev say many times how much they appreciate our input cause with all they have to do some things slip through and we have been a big help to catch them.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
If you asked 100 people to make a list of 10 things that should be critical in making UO better you'd get 100 different lists. One of mine would be to have the 2 stealable books that aren't spawning spawn again lol. I love books. Point being things one person thinks is critical others could care less about. When it's a situation where if you don't get subscribers your going to be out of a job I think the BS staff is highly motivated. It's really a couple of people doing everything to make this game work and I really don't think people understand what a chore that must be. Much of the recent content is outstanding even if they had a much larger staff. I'm happy with the direction of the game and I also feel the tough choices made over all have been the right ones. Halloween was outstanding. 20th anniversary was outstanding. Christmas gifts were cool for a change. The new art is dead on. I realize message boards attractive negative view points cause the happy people don't complain. But the lights are on and I say bravo to the team. And it pains me to be the one defending them ;)

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you asked 100 people to make a list of 10 things that should be critical in making UO better you'd get 100 different lists. Point being things one person thinks is critical others could care less about.

This!!!!!! This is what the whole pvp vs pvm debates boil down to - neither side cares for the other playstyle. I admit to being guilty of this; in over 17 years of playing UO I have never pvp'ed nor do I ever care too. The handful of times since Trammel came out that I was caught in a pvp situation, I simply let them kill me them walk backed to a town to rez. I cringe every time more 'pvp balance' patches come out because how it effects my toons. Ask any pvm tamer about their feelings about the 'balancing' of the phoenix. (I do not have a tamer but I can understand their pain.) I always kinda pictured the developers as parents with two completely different children. No matter what they try to do to please both, one of the kids will always be ticked off.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EJ is not F2P.
After reading the information on what it will and will not cover tells you this is nothing more then the 14 day trial made open ended.
The vast amount of things they are limited to use or go to make it clear this is not F2P.
F2P, open ended trial, that's just semantics...

The FAQ states:
What is Endless Journey?
Ultima Online: Endless Journey is a way for players to experience the core features of Ultima Online without a paid subscription.
What does Endless Journey cost?
Endless Journey accounts are free to access.
In my book that means, that I can play the game for free...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my book that means, that I can play the game for free...
Can't play the game I play for free. I have a house, a boat, a bank that I can put things in and take things out of, I can take things out of containers, and I can use items that must be secured to use. I do this stuff every day. There would be many other things an EJ account can not do.

I can not play UO the way I do daily for free. Maybe you can.

I will open some EJ accounts just to hold pets if they can use the token stable upgrades.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a house, a boat, a bank
Won't miss that. Except maybe the bank, depending on how the vault will play out, but we'll see.

But to put it in other words:
PvE will be free.
PvP will be free (not that I'd be interested in that, but it's still a big chuck, which seems to be important to quite some players).
Crafting will be free.
And you can RP all day long also for free.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Petemage this is where your went off the track...

EJ is not F2P.
Yea, is that what Bonnie is telling the people? Keep believing it while any other game out there just calls it FTP. Meanwhile Bonnie comes up with some different name to blow some smoke and mirrors and keep her group of fans quiet. I say let's see what it will end up ;) :popcorn:

I doubt Bonnie is making the call for this groundbreaking change, and it feels a bit like she is even opposing it. But that on the other hand means someone higher up the chain is making the calls, so I doubt her statements are worth much in like a year.

Someone at EA notices the nonsense with EJ and wants it to be called FTP? Watch Bonnie change her standpoint within 5 seconds. And then pancake to players how bad EA is :D

The list of things you gave can be answered quite quickly.
The main reason is Time.
How do you put out a publish that is filled with changes and new content with a handful of people and a short time limit?
Some things do get over looked. This leads to bugs too.
Each project in a publish they do try to work out all the bugs and items... I have heard in Test the dev say many times how much they appreciate our input cause with all they have to do some things slip through and we have been a big help to catch them.
The discussion point was that everybody blamed evil EA while praising poor Broadsword, which is obviously a very sketchy view on things when we don't know how the whole chain works.
Just keep believing in it :heart::cheerleader:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with that 100%! EA saw how well free-to-play games are doing and how many subscription games have changed to a free-freemium-sub model and they want a piece of the pie, but they are doing it all wrong and in a 20 year old game that won't be making any changes to accommodate the free play model it's a bit doomed to start with!
I'd say they make it all wrong by tasking Bonnie with it. I doubt managers from EA get their hands dirty with the actual game stuff. The more likely care about numbers and reports.

The idea of FTP is obviously great, many games proved it. But it would need someone with a forward centered view, not one like Mesanna only worried about her precious billionaires maybe loosing their status quo. That's where I can't see it work..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't play the game I play for free. I have a house, a boat, a bank that I can put things in and take things out of, I can take things out of containers, and I can use items that must be secured to use. I do this stuff every day. There would be many other things an EJ account can not do.

I can not play UO the way I do daily for free. Maybe you can.

I will open some EJ accounts just to hold pets if they can use the token stable upgrades.
Like basically any of the so called "free to play" games have premium options that you *can't* use for free. Still they all call it FTP and everybody agrees...

FTP is something everybody recognizes. Someone saying "UO is going FTP"; everybody would get it. And those interested could check it out.

Meanwhile at Broadsword they work hard to find a term nobody recognizes at all. Ask some friends from other games what the think "Endless Journey" means. Guess many will be along the lines of "Maybe an expansion?". Doubt many will immediately jump on the "Oh, that means I can try it for free?!" train. Is it really that hard to look outside the UO-bubble once in a while?

But then again, what are Bonnie's intentions? Does she really want to make it a success like other games did? Or is she just trying to save the status quo for those who email her all day.

Last edited: