• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dev update......

M

Monkeybear

Aw I wanted more than 1 house per sim to be next week

M

MandiK

Awesome! Thanks for the post, I wouldnt have looked at the Blog today probably. But Im glad to have that information!

G

What!??!! ...is soooo incredibly important about 'facebook'???

(pardon me for being in cynical mode today - am forced to drink off-brand coffee)

G

Wall Street and many other pundits are seeing the internet social circles (Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, etc.) as the advertising wave of the future on the net.

I suspect it will be our main way to promote the new EA Land....

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

(pardon me for being in cynical mode today - am forced to drink off-brand coffee)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were born before 1987, you just wouldn't understand.

I'm with you on that. Facebook, smacebook.

As for the coffee...

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Wall Street and many other pundits are seeing the internet social circles (Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, etc.) as the advertising wave of the future on the net.

I suspect it will be our main way to promote the new EA Land....

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda funny to think of suits poring over EA Land bios. I dunno, there may be headhunters out there looking for bears, or recruiters looking for money object maze builders. It could happen.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That is where the "I pwned joo!" comments will go once they integrate the other EA.com games.

M

MandiK

I dont understand the Facebook thing either, but I broke down &amp; made one a few weeks ago. Jumped on the badwagon...

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That is where the "I pwned joo!" comments will go once they integrate the other EA.com games.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!

G

What does the following mean, anyone?

"We are adding RSS feeds about house opening and closing, and avatar joining or leaving houses."

I tried searching the wiki for "RSS feeds" with no hits.

G

check this out!

If your post was for my benefit, thanks.

But it doesn't explain how RSS is going to be used in EA-Land.

P

Peppie

Oh yah im sorry:(

this might help you a lil thats what luc posted on the blog:

we are adding RSS feeds about house opening and closing, and avatar joining or leaving houses

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Maybe Luc is saying that we will be able to have instantaneous reports -- like a tickertape, or news flash -- showing houses that open, close or which avatars are arriving at a particular location? "Trivia now starting at *insert prop name*." You know, like that band of news that runs at the botton of the CNN screen. Maybe.

If someone really knows what it means, please enlighten us.

Many sites -- like The Weather Channel, and USA Today -- offer readers RSS feeds. A pretty good and easy to understand explanation of what RSS is can be found here:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2004-01-02-kantor_x.htm

B

Bindy

*TTL*

And why do we really need this? I dont understand the reasoning for this at all.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

And why do we really need this? I dont understand the reasoning for this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be lying if I said I know what "they" intend to do with this feature. However, if I could make up my own functions -- wouldn't it be great if we had a means to see announcements about what was going on at various houses? Right now we have house bios and the Stratics event calendar, neither one if very timely. It would be great if we could access an event calender IN the game, maybe arranged by time.

I can also imagine such a feature getting clogged with junk.
But, if it served a useful and timely purpose in the game, I'd be for it. It is an efficient means of broadcasting timely, and time sensitive, information.

Of course, I may be entirely off from what the devs have in mind as RSS applications...

A

Allison Chains

Maybe I'm hopping in here and stating the obvious, so excuse me if that's so. The facebook thing is a good deal because it is another way to make others aware of TSO. If you use Facebook to network with non-TSO friends, anyone linked to you in facebook is exposed to the TSO name.

More and more virtual worlds are popping up; if you think of TSO in terms of a virtual world, adding TSO functionalities to your Facebook entries makes a lot of sense. It adds another dimension to TSO. Can't get into TSO at work or at school? You'll have Facebook to keep in touch with your TSO buddies.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be lying if I said I know what "they" intend to do with this feature. However, if I could make up my own functions -- wouldn't it be great if we had a means to see announcements about what was going on at various houses? Right now we have house bios and the Stratics event calendar, neither one if very timely. It would be great if we could access an event calender IN the game, maybe arranged by time.

I can also imagine such a feature getting clogged with junk.
But, if it served a useful and timely purpose in the game, I'd be for it. It is an efficient means of broadcasting timely, and time sensitive, information.

Of course, I may be entirely off from what the devs have in mind as RSS applications...

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine.... as long as I have the option to disable it.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe I'm hopping in here and stating the obvious, so excuse me if that's so. The facebook thing is a good deal because it is another way to make others aware of TSO. If you use Facebook to network with non-TSO friends, anyone linked to you in facebook is exposed to the TSO name.

More and more virtual worlds are popping up; if you think of TSO in terms of a virtual world, adding TSO functionalities to your Facebook entries makes a lot of sense. It adds another dimension to TSO. Can't get into TSO at work or at school? You'll have Facebook to keep in touch with your TSO buddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep my real and "not real" lives separate -- very separate -- so I admit the whole idea of connecting TSO life to my real one is lost on me.

I am also not a fan of laying out my real life for the whole world to see on the 'net. Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur.

G

Both my FB and myspace pages are made under my sim name, which is of course not my real name. If I add a RL friend I explain to them its my gaming name that way I dont have to tell the community my real name. If I was to have more RL then sim friends on FB or MS I would simply create seperate pages for them. Some dont do it that way and that is of course their perogative.

I really like FB it has many fun and cool features and I encourage everyone to check it out and to feel free to add me to their friend list. Allison is right the potential for EA Land is huge on FB. I know Luc has been working hard on an ap for it and from what he told us the other night it sounds like its going to be awesome. I cant wait to see it.

As far as the RSS feeds, its linked on the blog but I havent seen it work for me yet, maybe its not fully implemented. From what I understand that little box on the IE window next to the home button should light up if the webpage you subscribe to RSS on gets an update. Hope that made sense lol.

I

imported_SimTripps

Cool - thanks for the update Gilly!

I'm curious as to how the 'Better avatar creation tools (more like Sims 2)' interface will be. Will we also be able to alter our existing avatars appearance, i.e., change their faces, hair, etc.? Like in Sim2, when your sim clicks on a mirror and you can change your appearance, etc.? Hmmm, think I'll save this question for Luc for the Pub lol..

G

<blockquote><hr>

I keep my real and "not real" lives separate -- very separate -- so I admit the whole idea of connecting TSO life to my real one is lost on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do also. As the saying goes, what happens in the basement, stays in the basement.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you are quite wrong there, Facebook is not so much a kids thing, its like the adult equivalent to Myspace only much much better.

And yes I was born 20 years before 1987.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you are quite wrong there, Facebook is not so much a kids thing, its like the adult equivalent to Myspace only much much better.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
Soooo..... you're like (mumble mumble, carry the 2, divide by....) 26 years old now. That's about wot I thot.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
Soooo..... you're like (mumble mumble, carry the 2, divide by....) 26 years old now. That's about wot I thot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suck up!

X

xfrozenx

Myspace - It has turned into a bunch of spam. It's for kids and girls trying to promote their xxx sites...LOL...

Facebook - More of a Christian, Religious, Adult type of myspace. It's just another blog site. If ya'll all remember xanga at one time, where did it go? lol....But I can careless about these sites. I hate to go on them to be honest. Facebook is a really private site I really don't see how you guys can get a ton of advertisement there....unless you've been discussing some things with the facebook owners? huh huh? lol....

Anyways yer later...can't wait for the updates.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

Facebook - More of a Christian, Religious, Adult type of myspace.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never been there but i'm wondering what makes it christian, religious?

N

nodgree

<blockquote><hr>

Myspace - It has turned into a bunch of spam. It's for kids and girls trying to promote their xxx sites...LOL...

Facebook - More of a Christian, Religious, Adult type of myspace. It's just another blog site. If ya'll all remember xanga at one time, where did it go? lol....But I can careless about these sites. I hate to go on them to be honest. Facebook is a really private site I really don't see how you guys can get a ton of advertisement there....unless you've been discussing some things with the facebook owners? huh huh? lol....

Anyways yer later...can't wait for the updates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Facebook is more network and location based. Its great for common interests. None of the spam and loading problems of myspace. I myself think its a good idea and possibly a good way to advertise EALand.