• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Dev Meet And Greet On Mugen 9-26-16

spin

Asian Shard Liaison
Professional
Shard Liaison
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
spin submitted a new Article:

Dev Meet And Greet On Mugen 9-26-16

This is a summary of the meeting that was held on September 26, 2016 in Mugen (Hardcore shards)

Japanese player ⇔ EM Asiantam (Translation for both) ⇔ Bleak · Kyronix · Mesanna · Misk

Kyronix: Good morning!
Kyronix: Or evening as I should say!

Mesanna: good morning
Mesanna: shall we begin?

EM Asiantam: ok

[hr][/hr]

Mesanna: good morning
EM Asiantam: about EM event
EM Asiantam: it's laggy because of players using illegal tools
EM Asiantam: here's the name
EM Asiantam: seems 10 accounts multi boxing
EM Asiantam: and because you leave them as they are
EM Asiantam: they are increasing
EM Asiantam: my client...
Read more about this article here...

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak

I don't get it!

What is so damn hard to see about who is multi-boxing?

If I see 2-5 players standing on the exact same tile, or moving to the exact same tile, casting the exact same spell, at the exact same time and targeting the same creature at the exact same time.... It's a Multi-Boxer!

What in the sam hell is so hard to figure out about this and catching them?

You are not going to catch these people by telling people to page for them "macroing" because that is not what is happening.
What is happening is players using an illegal 3rd party app to control several chars at once with one keystroke.

It's bad when the player base can point out multi-boxers and our own DEV team can't.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak

I don't get it!

If I see 2-5 players standing on the exact same tile, or moving to the exact same tile, casting the exact same spell, at the exact same time and targeting the same creature at the exact same time.... It's a Multi-Boxer!

You are not going to catch these people by telling people to page for them "macroing" because that is not what is happening.
What is happening is players using an illegal 3rd party app to control several chars at once with one keystroke.

It's bad when the player base can point out multi-boxers and our own DEV team can't.
The simple fact of the matter is this: as long as you can respond to a GM, anything goes.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
this is the funniest thing I ever heard!!!!!
so you play the 90 days game on the House and you want UO to remind you that your house will collapse? ROFL
if I was Mesanna, I would just answer, "Why don you pay for the account every month??"
ROFL

Mesanna: good evening
EM Asiantam: Housing menu
EM Asiantam: there are owner, co-owners are shown
EM Asiantam: can you make change to the menu gump to show is this account is active or not, with the date?
EM Asiantam: that we applied game time to the account
Mesanna: of the owners/co-owners?
EM Asiantam: yes when did they apply game time codes to their accounts
EM Asiantam: so she won't miss to pay :)
EM Asiantam: for game time codes
Mesanna: thats alot of work to do on our side
Mesanna: most just use a spreadsheet
Mesanna: if they have multi accounts to pay for
EM Asiantam: she is asking because many players left UO when they lost their houses
Mesanna: I understand
Mesanna: but what you are asking for is not an easy task
Mesanna: and we are already tasked out for all next year
EM Asiantam: she is sad to see many players left UO because of this
EM Asiantam: and lost many valuable items
Mesanna: so are we but that is not anything we have in our schedule for now
Mesanna: I will keep it as an idea
Mesanna: but no promises at all
Mesanna: =)
EM Asiantam: :)
EM Asiantam: thank you!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak

I don't get it!

They don't get it AT ALL. A new dev team that's actually COMPETENT is needed. Earlier this year on LS, when people were talking about UO*****, she thought they were talking about the game being ON Steam.

I just don't understand how it's possible to be that out of touch with the reality of what's going on in UO.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's things like this that made Jesus change his middle initial to "F"...

Mesanna: how often do you get telestormed?
EM Asiantam: every event
EM Asiantam: he gets crashed
EM Asiantam: and sometimes
EM Asiantam: he gets 3 times crashed in 1 event
EM Asiantam: he is insisting this is because of the multi boxers
Mesanna: No its not
Mesanna: if that was true it would be happening on many shards
Mesanna: its something else causing it
It's funny that the telestorm crashes only occur on Mugen... It IS every shard, One reason some people don't crash as much is because they use a #$%king Script to hide other players/pets so there are less particles on their screen. Which reduces lag & their chance of crashing thus allowing them to have an overall better chance of obtaining EM Event drops. It's not just the multi-boxing/dual client... Mostly when there are ~30 or more people + pets/summons there in the same area. also depending on the mobs we're fighting the more particles the more lag/longer lag spikes.

I'm losing faith with Mesanna everytime a question like this is brought up, It's unbelievable.

Mesanna: but what you are asking for is not an easy task
Worst response I've ever read, not the first time she's said similar lines (to different questions)... but uhm...does it have to be easy? Responses like these make the team sound lazy as hell.
I mean... workin hard or hardly workin?

They don't get it AT ALL. A new dev team that's actually COMPETENT is needed. Earlier this year on LS, when people were talking about UO*****, she thought they were talking about the game being ON Steam.

I just don't understand how it's possible to be that out of touch with the reality of what's going on in UO.
Hey, that's when she said there were only 3 "clean" people at that unscheduled meeting, again, unbelievable... They need to find a way to prevent connections through non-approved third-party programs... Sad day.(several years, actually)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's funny that the telestorm crashes only occur on Mugen... It IS every shard, One reason some people don't crash as much is because they use a #$%king Script to hide other players/pets so there are less particles on their screen. Which reduces lag & their chance of crashing thus allowing them to have an overall better chance of obtaining EM Event drops. It's not just the multi-boxing/dual client... Mostly when there are ~30 or more people + pets/summons there in the same area. also depending on the mobs we're fighting the more particles the more lag/longer lag spikes.

I'm losing faith with Mesanna everytime a question like this is brought up, It's unbelievable.
Off the top of my head, I can't recall ever crashing DURING an event (although I probably have), but I do know that the lag at some of them is unbelievable. The last LS event I did (which had a drop) was extremely laggy with all of the pets, players, summons, etc. Same with the last Legends (drop) event. If I were on anything but a thrower (or archer, by extension), I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything at either event; however, that's part of the reason I use throwers in the first place (well, that, and I never need to worry about getting a mount.)

To me, the lag at EM events is reminiscent of Doom way back in the day, where I was barely able to move (granted, being on dialup back then certainly didn't help.) By the time I was able to move (say after entering the Fleshrenderer room), everyone else would already be at Abysmal Horrors or the DF. Only differences now: I actually CAN move (although a turtle would still probably be faster...), and I haven't been on dialup in years.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
number one issue for me is cheating. looks like the devs will continue to do nothing about illegal programs. this game was not created/intended to use multi chars at the same time. the dev have lost their way in this area. I know peeps that were banned for auto-healing their other chars in doom before, but now there are buffs that auto heal let alone illegal programs. some things devs have developed has encourage the multi char use. there are peeps using 4 to 10 chars doing anything in game like shadow guard, let alone event. some are doing this for pvp. it really has become a joke. I would only allow one char for an event. first, I would take away the follow ability except for pets. so I know anyone following another, using illegal program. ems stop waiting for all the multi peeps to get set up. don't let them gate chars in. just my opinions

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's things like this that made Jesus change his middle initial to "F"...

Worst response I've ever read, not the first time she's said similar lines (to different questions)... but uhm...does it have to be easy? Responses like these make the team sound lazy as hell.
I mean... workin hard or hardly workin?

Hey, that's when she said there were only 3 "clean" people at that unscheduled meeting, again, unbelievable... They need to find a way to prevent connections through non-approved third-party programs... Sad day.(several years, actually)
This... I've lost all faith and hope for UO. To me UO has become the Free Mesanna shard I pay for... It's no longer OSI or anything else it's Mesanna's free shard we all pay for... It just happens to have several shard selections available to chose from but it's still no more than a really rather sad and lacking free shard. When many free servers can out perform an actual DEV team it's time to give it up... I've given up any hope that they will ever understand what they are doing to destroy the game that we love. From the lack of "getting it" about the art and it's perspective to the lack of caring about how the game performs. How anyone could look at that art and think it BELONGS in UO I don't know... The artist needs to either go back to school or learn to adapt to the game he's in... LOOK at the art that made the game... THAT is what we want.. that is the style that should be used to create new stuff... you know what gets me is the artists that did many other expansions got it right... Why can't this guy?

She doesn't understand the problems with the EM Events because she doesn't try to play at them... therefore she fails to understand what's wrong with them... She gives us the Turtles but in such a way that they will NEVER be a viable alternative to Greater Dragons... I have little to NO faith that the new pet revamp will even come close to fixing the issue either... Fact of the matter is that as they build bigger and badder mobs to combat the things PLAYERS can wear and do then they leave other playstyles in the dust... As Sampires and Wammies and Multi-boxing becomes the wave of choice then taming and pure magery and even the other bushido/chivy playstyles get left in the dust... They can't compete, they can't perform and the playstyle becomes no longer viable... Which leads to more multi-boxing and more people leaving in disgust... Not everyone plays a sampire... Not everyone multi-boxes...

As for the Multi-boxing she is so far out of touch with reality on that one that many of us often wonder if she is somehow getting paid on the side to ignore the issue... Because that's how it seems... the Rares community is paying her off or something to turn a blind eye to this and play stupid... It's not rocket science.... anyone with the use of half a brain and a pair of eyes can pick out the multi-boxers. Hell a 5 year old can do it...

But this goes right there with the fact they don't understand that not every new thing added needs to be a huge grindfest... If you are making a temporary event cut us some slack already... Not all of us have 60+ hours a week to farm things...

I have't been able to loot a public corpse from and EM Event since they updated the base UI of the EC... opening any public corpse of a boss mob or mob with more than 125 loot items will cause the client to crash when using Pinco's UI and if you use the default UI it become unlootable as the items are constantly jumping around in the list you can't possibly "look" at anything at all... When 20 other people are sifting through the items in the CC moving things about so they can see what's under them people in the EC get the shaft as the items then are constantly shifting around on the list making it 100% IMPOSSIBLE to look at them... you can't hover your mouse over them at all since they are constantly in motion. Picking them up is a crap shoot since what might appear on your cursor this second won't be there when you go to grab it... But no amount of trying to get them to see this will change it... I've complained till I'm blue in the face and my fingers are cramped but they just don't get it... It takes most of the joy out of the game if you can't even enjoy the loot what is the point of killing the stuff??? For the slim chance that you might get a drop if you are lucky and if the 20 multiboxers don't get yours...

They don't understand the game because first off they don't actually play it anymore... Kyronix might but not the way others do... The rest of them obviously don't understand the game at all.... I've told them they need to actually ATTEND and play at EM events to understand them... Come as a player play from home on your normal connection NOT on the server side connection and actually TRY to play..... in BOTH clients.... try looting a public corpse @Bleak and then tell me there isn't anything wrong with it. Don't do it from work and say there is nothing wrong.... because there is. From home actually play the game and see the multi-boxers at work... OPEN YOUR EYES DEVs!... and take the freaking rose colored glasses and blinders off... I challenge you.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Had the multiboxing issue of been handled in private, it could of been stamped out.

Instead, players resorted to a public outcry/tantrum. The only thing this achieved was more players learning that they exist and seeking out the means to do it.

If only someone could of seen that coming. :rolleyes2:

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
uhm... I dont do Events....and never will, bc the lag and bc the 300 GD's that I see on the screen, I dont understand on how people can even see anything or find any corpse...so I sitck to my own things BUT... I know this was said on previous M&G and those are FACTS:

• More than 85% of the TOTAL of UO Global Players run some sort of 3rd part softwares (the ones that we know of) and they cant just ban people bc of that, otherwise UO would just shut down, people use them to increase the Graphics on the game (10x24 x 768) , things to make you go "faster" and so much more that I will not list here, We even have PINCOS (yes, this one is illegal, we know)
  • "as long as they are NOT AFK" - by all means, play as you want, We all know this phrase...
  • Every BOT or followers or whatever they use, are current "paying customers" therefore, if they can answer to a GM, they are Not doing anything "wrong".
Mesanna once said, Nothing they can do about; bc I donno his name, but whoever made it possible to log more than 1 account at the time, made the multibox possible and I believe 90% of the UO players have more than 1 or 2 accounts.

I am not trying to give an excuse or protect anyone or whatever, I am not a rare collector and If i like something, I will just buy on the next day, at least me, I cant stand going to an event with 300 people + Pets and you cant even Move or find anything......

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna once said, Nothing they can do about; bc I donno his name, but whoever made it possible to log more than 1 account at the time, made the multibox possible and I believe 90% of the UO players have more than 1 or 2 accounts.
As far as I know, this was always possible (and legal), especially when everyone had Windows XP. Just open UO with two different usernames, and switch between, I believe? I remember hearing of one guy on Pacific years back getting banned for it though - I think it was Ooji. Story was that he only did it to res his own pets, but if that's the case, it's hardly a ban-worthy offense.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember when Mesanna placed the blame on a DEV member who at that time, no longer even worked on the game. All I could think to myself when she said it was it takes a real a** to place blame on someone who isn't around anymore, instead of manning up and saying we are aware of the issue and we are trying to resolve any issues that may come up from it.

I still don't know for sure if our current DEV team even knows the darn difference in multi clienting and multi boxing. I know a lot of players don't. =/

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
...taming and pure magery and even the other bushido/chivy playstyles get left in the dust... They can't compete, they can't perform and the playstyle becomes no longer viable... Which leads to more multi-boxing and more people leaving in disgust... Not everyone plays a sampire...
Wow!! I so wish I could agree with you more than 100%! UO used to be about so many different templates, there were many professions to play, something for everyone, but now it seems that there are so few templates that can compete. I am so sick of people telling me my Paladin should be a Sampire. :(

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We even have PINCOS (yes, this one is illegal, we know)
Wait, Pincos is illegal? I didn't know that! That upsets me, actually, since there was an official thread on stratics where I found out about it. I haven't been able to use it lately but now I feel bad donating. :(

Horde Minion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What is the difference between multi-clienting and multi-boxing? I honestly do not know what multi-boxing means I guess.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only give my ancient perspective, but the original Seer events required you to participate by role-playing. Any items were handed out based on that ability. Multi-boxing for drops would have been irrelevant. At this point it's probably a business decision, if boxing is as prevalent as people claim, they can't afford to close the accounts.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
What i think of events (my own opinion)
A whole bunch of bla bla bla
Than the EM open a gate somewhere
Everybody go thru the gate, along with 200 GDs and than the EM pop some monsters and the final Boss...
Than you see 300+ toons attacking + their GDs and a whole lot of LAG and more LAG and than Boss is dead...you cant even see corpses and u may have a 1% chance to get a drop...if you did any famage at all

So....again....my own opinion...a lot easier to buy fee hours later the drop from someone else. Lol

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is the difference between multi-clienting and multi-boxing? I honestly do not know what multi-boxing means I guess.
Multi-clienting: Having more than one client logged into a character at once, manually switching back and forth between said clients to perform actions with a character. Used a lot in RP situations. COMPLETELY LEGAL.

Multi-Boxing: Using a third party program to replicate keystrokes and mouse movements across multiple open clients (most seem to use five) This is why you see a cluster of nearly identical characters standing on top of each other at events, performing the exact same actions (RNG willing) on the same target. COMPLETELY ILLEGAL.

Mesanna needs to crush this activity mercilessly, instead of willfully turning a blind eye to it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What i think of events (my own opinion)
A whole bunch of bla bla bla
Than the EM open a gate somewhere
Everybody go thru the gate, along with 200 GDs and than the EM pop some monsters and the final Boss...
Than you see 300+ toons attacking + their GDs and a whole lot of LAG and more LAG and than Boss is dead...you cant even see corpses and u may have a 1% chance to get a drop...if you did any famage at all

So....again....my own opinion...a lot easier to buy fee hours later the drop from someone else. Lol
The way I see the events is a bit different I suppose...

My character being a Knight of Virtue shows up because he is obligated to serve the Kingdom... He listens to his "leader" whomever that might be and uses his best judgement to do whatever is asked of him so long as he believes it is the virtuous thing to do.

Now... during all that if I have to ignore all the ****** who can't follow instructions, stand all over on top of the action as though they might "miss" something if they stood back 3 or 4 tiles... continually cast fields and summons on the EM and everything else like a bunch of ADHD children... who can't control themselves in a civilized manner. And ignore the horrifying things people say to get a rise out of folk from descriptions of sex acts to insults and other obscenities.

If I get a drop it goes into the collection of things that he keeps to pay homage to the incident and remind the land of how their "knights" have defended them in many situations. It is a trophy not for him... but for the city he is loyal to... Given to them freely as he cares not for such things.

Now as for me the player ... I attempt to enjoy the event for the event.. for the RP and for the time spent with friends... but it is difficult when folk are frustrated because they can't follow along with the story since folk are bashing the EM continually... upset that they crash constantly... or that the lag is so bad they can't keep up... they get frustrated because they can't see or target the boss... and many other things .... and while I attempt to reason with them and help them along it is difficult for me to do these things as well... given the nature of the Events anymore... In the early years of the events it was much more fun and enjoyable and the EMs seemed to enjoy them as well and they would occasionally interact with the community in an RP fashion... but someone saw this as being "favoritism" though what they thought we were getting out of this I don't know... But it is what it is...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really like the disable following idea.
Following isn't the issue... it's the ability to perform actions across all clients with a single keystoke that is the issue. Disabling following wouldn't do a thing to those who use a third party app to multibox.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The horrendous artwork, the poor UI that could have been developed further to phase out third party tools, all the complicated/clunky af systems i.e vendor search, convoluted and frankly bizzare relevant templates i.e. "Sampire" that could have been corrected, never ending excuses of why things cant be done because they are too complicated, EM events that run like we are using Pentium II's on dialup, ignoring and not updating older and better content than what we've seen these last few years, releasing incomplete and seemingly lifeless lands (eeodon), claiming no solution to badly abused cheats (multiboxing)..... And the list just goes on.

Listen, I feel for the devs. A college freshman nowadays was born the year UO came out. Old game with a lot of knobs made from wood... Cant expect em to make it perfecf...

Problem is UO is so horrendous now that its very difficult to give them credit for just about anything. The game has only gotten uglier. I respect them for trying and without them we wouldnt have anything.... But part of me wishes for the following:

1 UO crashes and burns and gets shut down
2 EA sells rights to another company. Preferably a young group of ambitious developers that make UOs old machine code (jk) their b****
3 They remove the last decades worth of work, maybe even up to and including AoS.
4 They maintain a subscription model and build from there

Not gonna happen and im crazy af for wishing this, but on its current course ive become so irritated the last few years that i think the bubble will soon burst and ill give up playing. Hardly even play nowadays but i guess i cant let go of a pretty cool part of my childhood.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess the saddest part of this entire thread is we as the player base have concerns that we would like addressed. Instead we will hear crickets from the DEV team because they don't want to have to deal with these concerns. They'd rather let us vent for a few days and then let the issue just fade away.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess the saddest part of this entire thread is we as the player base have concerns that we would like addressed. Instead we will hear crickets from the DEV team because they don't want to have to deal with these concerns. They'd rather let us vent for a few days and then let the issue just fade away.
This situation will only worsen when BS unveils its own official forum.

Horde Minion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
So multi-boxing is multi-clients using scripts as opposed to just having multiple-clients open and manually moving each client one at a time? Would not a single box using a script be just as illegal? I'm new to the boards so please understand I'm trying to learn terminology. My thought is if the EM Event did not have a random drop there would be no need for multi anything correct? Would not simply changing the way the EM event is rewarded cut down on the rampant cheating?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So multi-boxing is multi-clients using scripts as opposed to just having multiple-clients open and manually moving each client one at a time? Would not a single box using a script be just as illegal? I'm new to the boards so please understand I'm trying to learn terminology.
Using scripts, regardless of how many accounts you're running at once, is illegal per the TOS. It's just not enforced. At all. Broadsword has no spine.

My thought is if the EM Event did not have a random drop there would be no need for multi anything correct? Would not simply changing the way the EM event is rewarded cut down on the rampant cheating?
This is a well-trodden, fairly contentious topic. Be prepared for dramatic, long-winded responses with a thin veneer of wobbly logic covering shameless greed.

Also, cheating certainly isn't limited to EM events, its just brazenly on display there.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, but that's hardly any news. Been this for how long now? Mesanna is happy to live in her bubble of emails.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yea, but that's hardly any news. Been this for how long now? Mesanna is happy to live in her bubble of emails.
She is happy to bury her head in the sand and pretend all is well...

While I gather that there are a LARGE amount of folk running illegal 3rd party programs... Make and EXAMPLE of a few very well known cheaters and the rest may just panic into line... And don't just do it once and forget it... do it... and see that it stays DONE ... as in don't let them just create a new account 30 seconds later and cheat their way back in 2 days...

If people saw something getting done about things they would feel better about the game... maybe some would come back... maybe more decent folk would return to the Events... but I doubt it... think anything now is likely too little too late.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This situation will only worsen when BS unveils its own official forum.
I doubt it. I figure the "official forums" will be nothing more than a cheerleading section, heavily regulated with perhaps even game account actions taken against severe abusers.

Some people think moderation is tough here, I really think you aint seen nuttin yet lol

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking of Blackthorn dungeon.

The guy in the balron room on Oceania with his multi-char setup has been down there killing balrons in 3 seconds all day everyday for weeks if not months now. He´s there right now bashing away.
And he didn´t react at all last night when some reptiles discovered that room. He just took the death on all six.
People have paged on him, myself included and he´s still there with his setup farming away. And with his kind of setup it shouldn´t matter if he can respond to a GM, it takes a minute to see it´s as shady as it gets.
This is from NEWS - Transcript of Developer Meet & Greet 04June2014 - Atlantic Shard

AKA the point back in 2014 when everybody should have *finally* realized the team is not going to do anything against those people & tools as long as they pay their sub.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just wanted to add a visual for anyone who is unaware of the multi-box/Multi-account issues at EM Drop Event Nights :)

15 Minutes into the event, just us Originals listening to the story told by EM Auma

EventStart.jpg

Same location an hour later

EventEnd.jpg

Lag was horrible, thankfully I didn't crash but I thought I was going to a few times.

Pictures speak a thousand words :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt it. I figure the "official forums" will be nothing more than a cheerleading section, heavily regulated with perhaps even game account actions taken against severe abusers.

Some people think moderation is tough here, I really think you aint seen nuttin yet lol
You are %200 correct about your account being in danger. When UO had its own forum any action taken against you on the forum was also applied to your online account because they were one in the same as fa as UO was concerned. A friend got a 3 day suspension for disagreeing with a MOD/DEV on the forum and could not log on to play UO also.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just wanted to add a visual for anyone who is unaware of the multi-box/Multi-account issues at EM Drop Event Nights :)

15 Minutes into the event, just us Originals listening to the story told by EM Auma

View attachment 54211

Same location an hour later

View attachment 54212

Lag was horrible, thankfully I didn't crash but I thought I was going to a few times.

Pictures speak a thousand words :)
Not to say multiboxing isn't an issue, but all your picture really shows is that a bunch more people showed up... Unless of course you are implying that all the characters in your second picture are being controlled by the same few from the original picture.

I know the GL event ran extra long last night, so I imagine that the reason there are only a few at the beginning of the origin event was because everyone was trying to finish up on GL. That points to the event xsharders... but I would wager that even quiet a few of the home town origin folks were over on GL as well.

At this point, and under the current Dev team, the gate has been opened. Anything goes as long as you can respond to a GM.

The question we as players and EMs need to be asking now is how can the situation be better managed.

Changing the game mechanics (like following) to create a further gap between those that try to multi client without 3rd party apps and those that multibox just increases the multiboxers advantage. IMO, this is the wrong direction to go.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not to say multiboxing isn't an issue, but all your picture really shows is that a bunch more people showed up... Unless of course you are implying that all the characters in your second picture are being controlled by the same few from the original picture.

I know the GL event ran extra long last night, so I imagine that the reason there are only a few at the beginning of the origin event was because everyone was trying to finish up on GL. That points to the event xsharders... but I would wager that even quiet a few of the home town origin folks were over on GL as well.

At this point, and under the current Dev team, the gate has been opened. Anything goes as long as you can respond to a GM.

The question we as players and EMs need to be asking now is how can the situation be better managed.

Changing the game mechanics (like following) to create a further gap between those that try to multi client without 3rd party apps and those that multibox just increases the multiboxers advantage. IMO, this is the wrong direction to go.
Sadly most times the DEVs do something to thwart scripting/cheating it ends up costing the legit player more every time..... lets take the randomization of ores and wood.... did that stop or slow any scripting bots? Heck no.... they are still recalling in and out and in and out and in and out 23/7... amassing massive quantities of all stuff... the legit player now to mine anything of Valorite or Frostwood has to spend days and weeks just looking for a small drop of the stuff...
How about changes like blackrock dropping in your pack not stacking... we the rest of the players have to sift though a pack and search out tiny bits we can't hardly see.... the scripter? He has a script that locates the offending object and promptly drops it on the ground...
How about changes to IDOCs? We the player have to sit for hours and hours on end watching that "one" house while they have 100 ghosts or hidden characters sitting there watching 100 IDOCs and they get alerted the instant it drops... meanwhile we have to rip our dried eyeballs to shreds after hours on end of waiting and watching only to have that other script bot loot up everything in sight within .25 seconds... Did you blink??? Sorry you missed looting the IDOC... Oh well better luck next time now go waste another day of your life sitting and watching something...
How about changes to mobs to thwart Sampires... things that don't leech, things that kill you in 1 hit... things that no other playstyle can ever scratch after 2 hours of pounding away at it... Once upon a time a Hiryu was a good pet... or a Rune Beetle... but not anymore... you can't heal them fast enough to keep them alive in the time most new mobs can chew them up and spit them out... same with players... they mow through them like nothing...

How would they combat multiboxers? Take out the ability to have more than one account up? Well no that just hurts everyone... dunno...

They want to stop scripters all they need to do is put up a flag for any account that runs more than 18 hours in a day.... anything more than that ought to get a visit from a GM to see WTF is going on... Flag the account and watch them over the next few weeks randomly poping in... bound to find them cheating in no time...

Want to catch the bots at IDOCs... then go to the IDOCs and watch them from the shadows... won't take long to figure out who's cheating there...

Want to find the Multi-boxers... attend an EM event... they will be as obvious as the nose on your face. Doesn't take anything fancy... just a pair of eyes.

But if they aren't going to do anything about the rest but ruin the game for everyone else then I'd rather they acted like they are... play dumb and ignore it... but stop ruining the game for the rest of us.

If you have a good solution for the issues... tell them.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly most times the DEVs do something to thwart scripting/cheating it ends up costing the legit player more every time..... lets take the randomization of ores and wood.... did that stop or slow any scripting bots? Heck no.... they are still recalling in and out and in and out and in and out 23/7... amassing massive quantities of all stuff... the legit player now to mine anything of Valorite or Frostwood has to spend days and weeks just looking for a small drop of the stuff...
How about changes like blackrock dropping in your pack not stacking... we the rest of the players have to sift though a pack and search out tiny bits we can't hardly see.... the scripter? He has a script that locates the offending object and promptly drops it on the ground...
How about changes to IDOCs? We the player have to sit for hours and hours on end watching that "one" house while they have 100 ghosts or hidden characters sitting there watching 100 IDOCs and they get alerted the instant it drops... meanwhile we have to rip our dried eyeballs to shreds after hours on end of waiting and watching only to have that other script bot loot up everything in sight within .25 seconds... Did you blink??? Sorry you missed looting the IDOC... Oh well better luck next time now go waste another day of your life sitting and watching something...
How about changes to mobs to thwart Sampires... things that don't leech, things that kill you in 1 hit... things that no other playstyle can ever scratch after 2 hours of pounding away at it... Once upon a time a Hiryu was a good pet... or a Rune Beetle... but not anymore... you can't heal them fast enough to keep them alive in the time most new mobs can chew them up and spit them out... same with players... they mow through them like nothing...

How would they combat multiboxers? Take out the ability to have more than one account up? Well no that just hurts everyone... dunno...

They want to stop scripters all they need to do is put up a flag for any account that runs more than 18 hours in a day.... anything more than that ought to get a visit from a GM to see WTF is going on... Flag the account and watch them over the next few weeks randomly poping in... bound to find them cheating in no time...

Want to catch the bots at IDOCs... then go to the IDOCs and watch them from the shadows... won't take long to figure out who's cheating there...

Want to find the Multi-boxers... attend an EM event... they will be as obvious as the nose on your face. Doesn't take anything fancy... just a pair of eyes.

But if they aren't going to do anything about the rest but ruin the game for everyone else then I'd rather they acted like they are... play dumb and ignore it... but stop ruining the game for the rest of us.

If you have a good solution for the issues... tell them.
We can think of solutions all day but it won't help a bit when the producer is not even pretending to see a problem at all ;)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem isn't multi-boxing. The problem is using an illegal, 3rd party, unapproved program to control all those accounts at the same time.

And regardless of how many players are in the same area, she shouldn't be crashing anyway. Multi-boxing shouldn't be making her crash.
I just use alt click to follow and attack on 3 characters. It's not hard to keep up with 3 accounts casting colossus. Pretty easy actually..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Actually, that was my point. Official forums will be a sycophant echo chamber, a safe space to trumpet continued mediocrity as if it were mana from heaven. It will be a reactionary control freak's dream.

Can you take a wild guess as to who the first mod will be? Wait, no, don't... :eyes:

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I have no idea why you are all complaining when myself and MANY others stated this is what would happen when the Devs decided to change the drop system to EM Events. The only ones to blame are yourselves for not listening.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know I think I finally get what Mesanna has been saying and I'll try to explain it...

They can't do anything about the Multi-boxers not because they don't want to.... but since they aren't unattended macroing which they CAN always do something about... fact is that actually having a half dozen accounts open at the same time isn't against the ToS... And Multi-boxing as it is is not actually something listed as against the ToS.

But... since what they are doing is using an illegal 3rd party program to link all the accounts and run them as one is the ONLY offense that they are doing and the fact that 95% of the UO population apparently RUNS illegal 3rd party programs and they do NOTHING about that at all... she's saying if they were to ban these people for the use of 3rd party program violation then these people can come back and say well we were wrongfully banned since you don't ban everyone using the illegal programs.... just me.... boo hoo.... I'm gonna sue because I got banned and you don't ban everyone cheating... just me... So if you turn a blind eye to one illegal 3rd party program user then you have to turn your blind eye to them all... but if you ban one you have to start banning all of them for it no matter the offense... so can't afford to ban most of the playerbase...

Now whether or not she's right that a vast majority of players use 3rd party programs or not don't really know... But IMO the escape clause for them is in the fact that they reserve the right to ban anyone for whatever reason they see fit it is their game. They just aren't using that right. Suppose the lawyers frown on banning just to ban without proper documentation as to why and such.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have no idea why you are all complaining when myself and MANY others stated this is what would happen when the Devs decided to change the drop system to EM Events. The only ones to blame are yourselves for not listening.
Personally if it were up to me I'd just stop the drops all together... In the beginning we were fine when told that there would be NO drops... the events were fun, challenging and engaging... people were fairly respectful to one another and no one had a problem with not getting anything.

We wrote books, solved puzzles and many other things. But then they dropped an item... Now the events are a cluster... full of greed and rude behavior... etc...

I was just as fine when things were a clicky... so what if there were 2000 of an item given out... who did that hurt??? No one...

But because Mesanna is being paid by the rares community, or she enjoys making people hate the EM Events and she likes seeing them turned into a greed fest circus, or she just likes to put cash in certain cheaters pockets ... we have what we have.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What was it before? At one point (way back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth :D), I believe it was "item was on corpse" instead of backpack drop. Which was lol. But even if that remained, I don't think it would have changed a thing about the multi-boxing, especially with instanced corpses (not that it'd be much of a deterrent for a loot script, whether instanced or not)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What was it before? At one point (way back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth :D), I believe it was "item was on corpse" instead of backpack drop. Which was lol. But even if that remained, I don't think it would have changed a thing about the multi-boxing, especially with instanced corpses (not that it'd be much of a deterrent for a loot script, whether instanced or not)
No pretty sure he's one of those 10 or 15 backside hurt ones who use to get the drop every single time back when it was based on the "top damagers" ... and no one else ever had a chance without having a super internet connection, uber multi-billion dollar suit, and flavor of the month build character.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But... since what they are doing is using an illegal 3rd party program to link all the accounts and run them as one is the ONLY offense that they are doing and the fact that 95% of the UO population apparently RUNS illegal 3rd party programs
Where do you get your numbers from and for your information I resent the fact that you are including a lot of honest people in that %95 and I resent being called a cheater.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
No pretty sure he's one of those 10 or 15 backside hurt ones who use to get the drop every single time back when it was based on the "top damagers" ... and no one else ever had a chance without having a super internet connection, uber multi-billion dollar suit, and flavor of the month build character.
For as long as you have been playing it still surprises me every time you speak. You really have ZERO understanding of game mechanics. The 3 things you listed that were a 'must' have further proves that. It wasn't the suit, it was the template. I could achieve exactly what I needed with an imbued suit and jewelry set.

It would suck to be constantly upset and blaming everyone else for it. Maybe you should start reevaluating who's fault your lack of success really is...

It was top damage; which catered to the competitive, competent player. When that was the system there was ZERO issues with Multiboxing, Rares were not over saturated and the economy was strong. I stopped doing events once the average price dropped to 100ish mil. I do way better farming gear.

All you have to do is search for the threads that had all of the 'x-shaders' stating the future of events and what will happen. It's funny, because they were 100% correct.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been to an event for a while. The Atlantic ones are too early for me most of the time. I'm going to try to make the one tomorrow.

The thing is, I have a Corsair keyboard and a Razer Orbweaver gaming pad. They have some pretty nice software to use these things and I'm sure I could set up some pretty sophisticated macros with them.

I haven't had a chance to really figure out everything these programs will do, but I may just have to see what I can do for an event.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For as long as you have been playing it still surprises me every time you speak. You really have ZERO understanding of game mechanics. The 3 things you listed that were a 'must' have further proves that. It wasn't the suit, it was the template. I could achieve exactly what I needed with an imbued suit and jewelry set.

It would suck to be constantly upset and blaming everyone else for it. Maybe you should start reevaluating who's fault your lack of success really is...

It was top damage; which catered to the competitive, competent player. When that was the system there was ZERO issues with Multiboxing, Rares were not over saturated and the economy was strong. I stopped doing events once the average price dropped to 100ish mil. I do way better farming gear.

All you have to do is search for the threads that had all of the 'x-shaders' stating the future of events and what will happen. It's funny, because they were 100% correct.
It really is funny isn't it..these are the same people who complained their herder/thief wasn't getting drops doing 8 damage a swing with a halberd 53 dex and no swing speed cause they role played a character with 0 synergy to UO templates..

Maybe if stop hacking with my sampire at 1.25 ticks and 200 damage AI's they could get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk