• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Detect Hidden

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Good evening,

I have searched and searched and cannot find a solution. I started a character a 50 Detect Hidden skill. I have tried the skill on every crate or box I can find in towns and cannot get even 0.1 gain. I found a decade old guide that talks about GMing Detect Hidden very quickly using multiple trapped boxes so I thought I'd give that a try but apparently that doesn't work until you hit at least 51. I can't get one gain off anything. What's the trick?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
try dungeon boxes, or maybe the area in the Kotl ruins. I trained from about 50 to 80 in the Kotl city, initially not being able to find the hidden boxes until I was in the 60s, but eventually finding a small fortune in gems in the process (then the Khaldun event started and I GMed there).

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
try dungeon boxes, or maybe the area in the Kotl ruins. I trained from about 50 to 80 in the Kotl city, initially not being able to find the hidden boxes until I was in the 60s, but eventually finding a small fortune in gems in the process (then the Khaldun event started and I GMed there).
I appreciate the help. I'm trying this method (deleted as it links to a freeshard site) but it's going nowhere. Is this no longer a valid method or does it not work on official shards?

Last edited by a moderator:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I appreciate the help. I'm trying this method (deleted as it links to a freeshard site) but it's going nowhere. Is this no longer a valid method or does it not work on official shards?
It probably hasn't worked in 16+ years, or never did, on the legal shards. Though, I didn't actually read it, but rarely is something based on a pre-AoS freeshard applicable to vanilla UO anymore.

Still, one thing to consider is that there are something like 5 different levels of crates in NPC shops. There are guides that give an idea as to which locations have which levels, but they may buried DEEP in the Thief or TH forums from a decade ago. Or, someone might tell you if you ask around on your shard. All crates are not considered equal. However, I would try the herbalist & provisioner shops' crates in Moonglow, and even the barrels on the docks. I remember training on them last year.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It probably hasn't worked in 16+ years, or never did, on the legal shards. Though, I didn't actually read it, but rarely is something based on a pre-AoS freeshard applicable to vanilla UO anymore.

Still, one thing to consider is that there are something like 5 different levels of crates in NPC shops. There are guides that give an idea as to which locations have which levels, but they may buried DEEP in the Thief or TH forums from a decade ago. Or, someone might tell you if you ask around on your shard. All crates are not considered equal. However, I would try the herbalist & provisioner shops' crates in Moonglow, and even the barrels on the docks. I remember training on them last year.
Makes sense. No shortcuts on this one then. :) Thanks!