• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dermott or other KR gurus

• Thread starter T_Amon_from_work
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
T

T_Amon_from_work

What causes the apparent no-draw on the scenery? I took the character (Spin) for a walking tour around the keep but these areas look like sand with plants in them - in KR. There is a 2D link to demonstrate what it should look like.

2D example of what I should see

KR example of what I see

These are on Photobucket and have been cropped some but should demonstrate.

System:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
RAM: 512 MB
VID: AtI Radeon 9000 Pro - 128 MB vidram
Monitor: Viewsonic 1703wb (widescreen)
Resolution: 1152 x 864 when pics were snapped
HD: Western Digital 320gb EIDE - 75% open, defragged Monday
Drivers: As current as I can make them - MS or vendor

Thanks!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

2 thoughts as possibilities:

1. Corrupted video drivers

2. Corrupted texture files

For 1, you'd want to try and uninstall your current drivers, then install either the latest version, or the previous version to see which one works better.

For 2, it would have to be to replace the specific art files which will probably mean a re-install.

M

meridus

Your KR screen looks exactly how my old computer drew things. It was the video card.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Your KR screen looks exactly how my old computer drew things. It was the video card.
Welp, the vid was not this bad when I used it before and in fact was quite nice. KR is not my main client but I do try to learn it so I can replace 2D. This is the first time where I had this happen and ... the scenery didn't fill in. <shrug>

Thanks, folks ... I'll try the uninstall/reinstall route first I think. It's really less painful than trying to reload the ATi drivers.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Welp, the vid was not this bad when I used it before and in fact was quite nice. KR is not my main client but I do try to learn it so I can replace 2D. This is the first time where I had this happen and ... the scenery didn't fill in. <shrug>

Thanks, folks ... I'll try the uninstall/reinstall route first I think. It's really less painful than trying to reload the ATi drivers.
Wait ! First ! RAM: 512 MB ... try MORE of that !

Just saying ... KR wants 512m memory ... all for itself ...
the OS of any flavor IS gonna "get a CHUNK" of the base ... THEN whats left over for KR ...
run the EAGames KR folder EAsy info app ...90% chance it shows "fail"

or open just KR and THEN ctrl-alt-del windows task manager > performance > Physical memory (k)
the OS of any flavor HAS "a CHUNK" of the base then KR ... then "whats available"(whats left for use)

More Memory dude ...
quick and easy http://www.4allmemory.com/?p=377&k=177532 (check my system)

*tips hat*

T

T_Amon_from_work

Wait ! First ! RAM: 512 MB ... try MORE of that !

Just saying ... KR wants 512m memory ... all for itself ...
the OS of any flavor IS gonna "get a CHUNK" of the base ... THEN whats left over for KR ...
run the EAGames KR folder EAsy info app ...90% chance it shows "fail"

or open just KR and THEN ctrl-alt-del windows task manager > performance > Physical memory (k)
the OS of any flavor HAS "a CHUNK" of the base then KR ... then "whats available"(whats left for use)

More Memory dude ...
quick and easy http://www.4allmemory.com/?p=377&k=177532 (check my system)

*tips hat*
Yup - have considered that as well, however KR has displayed well and (after the optimizing patch) actually ran nicely. Funds are somewhat tight as I prepare for retirement ... can we say damn near zero debt? But that's a good site and I've bookmarked it.

Thanks!

Z

Zodiac19

I get that from time to time but it usually only happens when I recall back and forth between two spots alot like when i'm farming zoo donations. I can usually recall to somewhere else and back again and the world displays correctly.

CPU: AMD Athalon 64 FX-57
RAM: 2GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
monitor: Dell 24" WS

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi T'Amon,

What causes the apparent no-draw on the scenery? I took the character (Spin) for a walking tour around the keep but these areas look like sand with plants in them - in KR. There is a 2D link to demonstrate what it should look like.

2D example of what I should see

KR example of what I see
Simply put... system resources. Specifically... system RAM and video.

RAM: 512 MB
VID: AtI Radeon 9000 Pro - 128 MB vidram
512m just isn't enought these days for a WinXP system... not with WU patches, fixes and services packs. Then whatever else you're running on top of your OS, like AV/AS and additional security. You need at least 1g minimally, preferably 2g of system RAM.

On the vid. By today's standards, the ATI 9 series (like yours) and the nVidia 5/6 series are falling out of date (both lack capabilities and speed expected in modern vid cards). Here is a quote I posted on UOF about a slightly different issue, but to a degree applies to your situation:
Nok said:
The difference is in the video cards, DirectX, and the coding of the game to detect the combined capabilities of each video card with DirectX.

First the 5500 and 7800 have entirely different GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit). The 7800 supports graphic capabilities that the 5500 does not... like better aliasing, more artifices, better shading, more surfaces, and so on.

Also the features of any particular GPU needs to be supported not only in the game, but also through DirectX. DX10 does more than DX9, DX9 more than DX8, and so on. I may be wrong, but I do not believe the nVidia 5 series (like the 5500) doesn't support DX10, and about 90% of the capabilities of DX9.

Most games today when you install them, check your video card, DirectX, and system capabilities & performance before running the game the first time. Then tells the game what drivers to use and what modes to run in for the supported hardware and software.

How X game looks with a certain vid card & DX version depends on how the game was coded for the expected hardware and software. For some games, differences can be huge... and other hardly noticeable.

Hope that helps.
How this applies in your situation, is that Kingdom Reborn (with the Gamebryo engine) is expecting a certain level of system resources and graphics capabilities that your system doesn't have. This is not a KR issue, but a Gamebryo issue of a gaming engine being designed for more modern systems. Gamebryo doesn't support older video cards well. Consider getting either something from the ATI Radeon 1k/2k/3k series or the nVidia 7/8/9 series that'll work in your system and at least 256m of vid RAM.

I read that you are nearing retirement (IT guy I think I read too), so cost is a consideration. What this boils down to is not overhauling your entire system, but reasonably bumping up the system you have without spending so much that you could have just bought a new system. Something to hold you over to another day. Namely an affordable, but new vid card; some inexpensive RAM; and maybe a cheap aud card to free up some more resources.

SIW (System Info Window) from MajorGeeks.com will tell you what type of RAM you need and how much RAM your systemboard is capable of. Also what slot type of vid you need if you don't know already.

Drivers: As current as I can make them - MS or vendor
SP3 is out and stable now. Also double check for chipset drivers for your systemboard, and HD (could help the system I/O throughput, especially using EIDE).

Hope that helps.