• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Demon Slayer Katana

H

Hopeful

Im new to the forums so please forgive my edicate. I ve been mostly crafting in UO since returning 2 years ago. I was lucky to meet a soon to retire player that bestowed upon me many many resources that I had little understanding of.(BODS,RUNICS,INGOTS,ETC)
Ive learned abit since then, but shed a tear over hammers burned while at 80 smithy skill and weapons smelted because I thought "I cant use this ". :(
Anyway... I reached Legendary awhile back and have been trying to craft a full set of super slayers.
- Is it possible?
- I have some beautiful Viking swords that might as well be walking canes due to speed... I choose katanas since I rarely get max SSI on heavier weapons of 1 handed type. Is there a connection between the intensiities of damage output/speed Vs. slayer type ? I ve made nice mana leech elemetal slayer viking swords but lizardman slayer katanas with high stamina leech (uselessIMO).
- It seems when I do make a Super of any type the other mods on it are few ... Does the SS property account for %200 intensity?
- Also ,when I make anything from iron I more often get max intenisity on mods . Should I continue on my quest for this item this way?
I truly beleive that the most powerful weapon I use shuold be made be my hand. Thanks for any help

G

gjohnson5

Im new to the forums so please forgive my edicate. I ve been mostly crafting in UO since returning 2 years ago. I was lucky to meet a soon to retire player that bestowed upon me many many resources that I had little understanding of.(BODS,RUNICS,INGOTS,ETC)
Ive learned abit since then, but shed a tear over hammers burned while at 80 smithy skill and weapons smelted because I thought "I cant use this ". :(
Anyway... I reached Legendary awhile back and have been trying to craft a full set of super slayers.
- Is it possible?
- I have some beautiful Viking swords that might as well be walking canes due to speed... I choose katanas since I rarely get max SSI on heavier weapons of 1 handed type. Is there a connection between the intensiities of damage output/speed Vs. slayer type ? I ve made nice mana leech elemetal slayer viking swords but lizardman slayer katanas with high stamina leech (uselessIMO).
- It seems when I do make a Super of any type the other mods on it are few ... Does the SS property account for %200 intensity?
- Also ,when I make anything from iron I more often get max intenisity on mods . Should I continue on my quest for this item this way?
I truly beleive that the most powerful weapon I use shuold be made be my hand. Thanks for any help
I rarely craft super slayers as well
Yes when you craft a super slayer , the other mods are reduced heavily. IMHO this is probably a good idea.

IMHO the change EA made several years ago when swing speed was changed to X seconds was a major combat nerf. I'm not sure about completely repealing that nerf , but swing speed for melee weapons could use some positive changes mainly with larger weapons and 2 handeds. Almost noone uses lajatang , no-dachi , war hammers, lances , war maces, large battle axe , viking sword , long sword and broadswords. They swing too slow. I agree

H

Hopeful

Thanks for responding. Has anyone crafted a decent super slayer greater than a Reptile katana? Undead katana? Even a Scimitar with a SS prop ?
When I look at peoples dolls to see what theyre using I see mostly artys, so its hard to gauge.
I went to the test shard to try making some but without my 60+ hammer or a tally I dont know if I can hit 100% intensity more often (or not?)
After an hour or so (or the equivalent of 5 real lifetimes of playing and getting the runics to do this) I saw some really nice weps I would sell but never use. Many more helpful than SSs with the mods.
I didnt get one single SS this time out but Im sure its just a bad run.My question is "Has anyone made a Demon Slayer Katana?

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question is "Has anyone made a Demon Slayer Katana?

I have a crafted katana that is a demon slayer,I have had it soo long I forgot how I got it,I know I didnt craft it though,and I also hav crafted an undead katana myself. It seems that when I craft weapons with shadow I get mor undead slayers,I am not sure if it is the RNG that got me or the fac that shadow iron gives more undead slayer.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I crafted an elemental slayer katana with 50% life leach (DC runic) I want to make an elemental slayer axe for my axer to go kill DC elementals for the ore but haven't succeeded although he has 2 reptile slayer axes.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Slayer, whether Super or regular counts as 1 property. It's always at 100% intensity since there are no levels to the Slayer property.

The slayer property does not effect the other properties you roll on a weapon. They all have just as much chance to hit 100% intensity whether your weapon has a super slayer or not.

Continue on your quest, but you may want to switch to Gold Ingots. You get a little luck and lower requirements on every weapon.

D

Dmaninuo

ive gotten into the habit of making all of my weapons with Iron, that way if I get somethign thats SOOOOOOOO close, I can imbube it. Also if I get somehting thats WTF on a crap weapon, I can hopefully remove it :p who knows if thats how it will pan out, but my fingers are crossed. Oh btw, I made a demon, repond & reptile slayer this weekend. Granted, the attribs all sucked - but still useable weapons. GOD, a demon slayer with mana leech.......please someday........

B

Baciver of CCC

My smith is not legendary, 107+ really and I crafted super slayer True Radiant Scimitars (Arachnid, Demon and Reptile), with good di. With swing speed of 2.5 and special moves of whirlwind and bladeweaver I am pleased. I do have 80 dark sapphires to try for more. The Demon slayer came from a Bronze hammer and the reptile from a shadow hammer. I have also made some other slayers using these two types of hammer with lower defense and multiple leeches.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GOD, a demon slayer with mana leech.......please someday........
3 Years ago from an Agapite Hammer (before the Arms Lore Bonus and 100% possible intensity from any hammer):

The intensities aren't very high, but the combination of properties is perfect for a Paladin hunting Succubi and Balrons.

R

RichDC

In my experience stick to iron, simple reasons.

With all other metals there is a mod there (damage type lower req. durability etc) when crafting there is a chance to "enhance" the already present mods, this counts towards your properties.

Iron has no additional mods so all of the mods are added giving a higher chance of hitting the "good" mods.

Keep at it ive burned probably 100dc and shadow runics and hit 2 Super slayers (arachnid and repond)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Slayer properties can be quirky.

Back during the orc invasions of Cove, Yew, etc. (what was it, about 4-5 years ago?) I promised someone I'd make them an orc slayer. I burnt through 6 DC hammers, then a shadow, then SIX MORE DC hammers, before getting a REPOND slayer - and didn't get an orc slayer until two swings after the Repond (I was crafting 5 at a time with a macro and they both came from the same macro). IT was really weird, because I HAD been averaging between 1 & 2 orc slayers ever hammer I used, prior to then, but had sold out on my vendordue to the invasion.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Made my first ever elemental slayer today. Time for payback with the efreets.

I've got an old double slayer war axe in the bank, when did the double slayer property stop being craftable? It's orc/gargoyle, would have been reasonably useful in Hyloth circa 2000.

H

Hopeful

Thats good news. Thanks to all. I totally forgot about the radiant scimitar (thought it was 2 hander). I dont know if my smithy has that recipe or not.Most of the recipes I have are from purchasing around my shard. I figured some of the newer weapon types might give me better odds but I ran out of resources quickly.
Looks like I should head to heartwood to do some quests (or look through discarded bags :) )
Just one thing off topic. I made a few so-so weps with durability in the 300s one in 400s.(all in iron) I tried to fortify one and it made it 255/255. Do you suppose Imbue will do the same thing?
I have been crafting in iron mostly lately for reasons mentioned in above posts. My guess is the 40 shadow runics I have will be used to craft /unravel
but give very little resources (200%)if Im reading correctly.
Anyway thx for giving me some hope. I stated before that I beleive all the stuff I craft/wear/use should be the most powerful. Im a big hater of artys aside from some cloth based types. I can't wait for a big nerf on them so everyone has to learn to play like the old days. Sorry Im drifting........

K

Kallie Pigeon

Holy smokes. I didn't realize it but in my quest to make an elemental slayer axe, I made 2 arachnid slayers, 2 reptile slayers, 2 repond slayers and an undead slayer and demon slayer damn ....just can't get that elemental slayer

H

Hopeful

Funny, I ve crafted many ele superslayers that I would give you ALL of them for just one demon slayer. But like others stated , without a good mod added to it ,its really useless.
I have a katana that has 55% di and 62 % ml. Its my goto wep. I have a reptile slayer with 40% di and 44% stam leech. Without high MR this is only good for killing lizardmen.
I have about 60 dragon slayers (collected and crafted).Only last week did I loot one with ml on it (35% the minimum of useful ).
Please dont tell me that there is no scale for superslayers. If there isnt one , why have I crafted so many low end slayers but so few (none) high end. On test center I used all the hammer types on all the metal types until I had no more ingots of any type and still had no demon slayer.
I crafted back to back to back to back lizard man slayers with killer mods. Piles of fire and water fire ele slayers. Arachnid slayers abound.A handful of useable repond slayers (none that would replace a soul seeker with its 60%ssi) The reptile slayers all had major "this is gunna get me killed" mods on them. But not one Demon slayer.
I guess Ive answered my own question. "I" cannot create one. To those of you who have one fast enough not get you killed, hold on tightly to it. Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. I have many issues with the game lately and I was venting :(

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is slightly (by a hair) easier to craft a regular slayer than a super.

But the truth of the matter (and Basara and Kallie can atest) the hardest slayer to craft is always the one you currently need or want.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IIRC, the scaling for Slayers is as follows:

A. considered 100% intensity, regardless of slayer type.
B. There is a 100-point spread WITHIN that, of the various slayer types.
C. Some of the of the regular slayers have higher commonality than others (more points in the "roll" of the random number).
D. The "Superslayer" property is a 1-point value somewhere in that 100-point spread for slayers.
E. If the "Superslayer" number comes up, another roll is then made to determine which type. IIRC, some, like Demon, are supposed to be weighted more (something like a roll between 1 & 8, with Demon and one other type having a 2/8 chance instead of a 1/8 chance - undead, perhaps, since it has no "normal" slayers in its category?).

A dev went over the specifics in a post long ago, but it was probably one of the posts lost when the crash ate our archived posts.

And, IIRC, it was late 2003 or early 2004 that double & triple slayers went away, though they still popped up from the Haven Paladin quest (usually on a slow swords weapon - katanas were possible, but relatively rare) until Haven blew up. Weapons with a guaranteed Slayer property from a ML recipe also could be double slayers, but there are mixed reports as to whether the "cannot have two hit proc of same category" fix last year did away with this or not.

One of my main weapons, until they turned the "double damage from opposed type" effect back on (it was off for at least a couple years, from sometime in 2003, through somewhere between SE & ML, IIRC), was a Paladin Quest old-style "Long Sword" with 28% and some mana leech, to go with Undead/Repond double slayer.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also have had good luck using Shadow hammers, making Undead, Demon, and Elemental super slayers.

Withe the advent of SA , I would advise you stay with IRON, that way you can possiblly imbue further mods onto whatever iron slayer you craft.

K

Kallie Pigeon

This one is from a while ago but it has the prorperty you want

H

Hopeful

Thank You Basara.... Im a little less crazy than I thought . Great breakdown. I recall there being alot of posts about this aswell. I just cant find them. The odds are againest me but Im gonna keep going.
I switched to Radiant Scimitars (thanks for the reminder) and got some interesting stuff with iron. But I like the double strike move on katanas.I think thats why I went with it at first.
Given the dependency on ML my template requires combined wth my reluctance to use the artys I earn (mostly junk because I stink) If I do get a demon slayer ...it better be a real charm.
Thank s to all.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Demon slayer USED to be alot easier to create because at one point they were classified in the percentage tables as a 'regular' slayer. On the flip side - Blood Elemental slayers were treated like 'super slayers'.

Once they fixed that - it is much harder to make Demon's and easier to make blood slayers.

I seem to remember them converting 'Deamon' slayers to 'Demon' slayers as well. Maybe that was part of the fix. It was so long ago - my memory is getting fuzzy.

Basara? Set?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yeah, That's because you had Daemon slayers and Demon slayers (with the only thing that was not in Daemon were the gargoyles). They fixed the property tables at the same time they made all existing Daemon slayers Demon slayers.

O

ObsidianVIII

To be honest... here are the odds you have when trying to craft slayers...

When the hammer decides at random what properties to put on the item you craft ...

when it does this...you have a 6 in 24 chance of making a super slayer...

25% chance for a super slayer... and a 1 in 24 chance at the super slayer

you want equals 4.1%...i hope my math is right...???

the six super slayers are repond, arachnid, demon, undead, reptile, elemental

most of the time you will craft the other 18 slayers in ultima...

here is the link for the slayers in ultima online

http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/slayerweapons.php

websites have given hints as to which metals to use... because i am superstitious...lots of UOs myths are lore based...

shadow ore rumored the nemisis to demons (never made one but tried)

good luck...!!!