• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

definetly tilted to tamers and super dragons

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
OK so I spent 5 hours there with my archer died at least 25 times at a cost of 6k in insurance each time i have 100 plus in all archery skills with archery 115 tac 110 anat 106 and not a single item because the dragons kept eating my targets so i get my tamer on with my super dragon fizbane and in 1 hour 3 items and died 1 time and my archer is 70 suit and my tamer is only 50s its to bad we cant all work together and share and make it fun for all I always pull my dragon back if some one is obviously got things under control as it is right now its just chaos oh and my archer learned a very valuable lesson don't take all your unnecessary insured items i cut my insurance bill in half by using blessed items and carrying the bare minimum

G

You sure? I'm running a vampire samurai and got like 30 swords and shields and 7 cloaks so far.

G

My swordsman has no skills over (at the time of the event) 75, except for Hiding/Stealth at 80/80. Playing smart, I now have an additional 40k gold, six Planeshields, two Planeswords, three Threads, and two Cloaks.

I recognize that not everyone can fit Hiding/Stealth into their template, let alone Hiding, but for new characters I can't recommend it enough. Just have an easy-to-hit Hiding key and jam it while you're doing whatever else -- before you know it, you'll be over 50 and that means you're succeeding more than you fail.

Play it smart ... even if you aggro something, you can run around a corner or indoors and get out of sight to hide. If you have Ninjitsu, there are even smoke bombs!

I just wish that the monsters weren't so fast, especially the fallen warriors. I don't have an ethereal mount, and my horse hasn't yet bonded (I wouldn't bring it anyway, it'd die far too fast), but at the running pace if I get a fallen warrior on me I'm dead 90% of the time unless I can make it to the portal out.

Also, the summoned revenants and Necro-creatures can kill me after I've killed the wisps because I have no way of dispelling them.

EDIT: For an archer, I guess the analogue is to always be aware of your surroundings and just don't get into a position where you can't keep distance between you and the monster. Work -with- the tamers, even if they don't want you to!

G

That's odd. I found my tamer near useless, but doing awesome with my dexer (LJ Swords with Resist).

G

This is what happens when you limit event occurrences to a small portion of the map. Too many people in too small of an area vying for too few resources.

This time couple it with the release of the "super" dragons (these probably should NOT have been tamable in the first place) and the problems above become VERY apparent. Not only were the dragons a lag-causing distraction and view-blocking nuisance in the "story" portion, but become a PvM nuisance in the combat portion.

But beyond the dragons, I can't help but wonder what happened with the event team in general that went from large map scale events such as ToT 2, Ophidian Invasion, Halloween content, and including the rat infestation, which were either large enough to spread people out or had several things happening simultaneously that people had choices in what to be involved to the recent events of Magincia's Destruction and the creation of Dark Moonglow that try to fit a large portion of the player base into a small portion of the map.

In addition, I've already covered the need for items to have desired mods and/or unique artwork, but they also need to get rid of the "unwritten mod" rule in which they tell us that a certain item will have an effect of some kind not listed. If an item has a mod of some type, then tell us what it is in the item properties of the mod, or let us use Item ID (remember that skill?) to identify the hidden mods and in this way unlock them.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
very good idea about item ID i long ago got rid of that it would be very usfull if it worked as you say about now

G

I think it's a little premature to condemn the event in its entirety. This is part of a larger event -arc-, and the story portions even hint at this. Aside from the fact Kronos has become imprisoned extradimensionally in conflict with the Shadowlords in order to save Melissa,

there is the appearance of the Shadowlords and how they affect us as players, as well as the Time Lord who has thus far been largely quiet and only taken a preserving interest,

and beyond that we have Dexter the Apprentice scrambling across Britannia to track down Kronos's notes before "they" do. Even the UO.com website describes this as an event -arc-, with events "TBA" in April and onward.

There's no good reason to decry the event as it currently exists. It's been less than 24 hours since the 'other' Moonglow was made accessible for most servers ... lots of people are still just seeing this for the first time, and already some players are clamoring for "MORE, MORE, MORE!" ?

G

I was using my fencer this morning and worked very well till I saw all the super dragons so I went and got on my tamer. I started to kill the winged things with my dragon and I was doing about 11 to 17 points of damage and I was shocked because with my pally fencer using the Pixie Swatter and EoO I do about 150 to 160 points of damage each hit compared to my super dragon doing 11 to 17 points each hit.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Dont get me wrong I think the devs are doing great atleast this game still has events and has not been abandoned ive played this game since ultima 1 on my 100 mhz processor lol i was just noting that my tamer has a much easier time then my other toons and who knows other parts of this series of events may be better for my other characters no complaints really yet for me

G

I'm not decrying the event as a whole, it's good that we're at least having them at all.

However, I've been trying to aim my posts at being detailed feedback based on the experience by saying "This is what was done well in the past, this is what was done well now, this is what wasn't done well, and this is how things could be done better".

The problem I see with the current Moonglow setup is that it isn't even all of Moonglow being portrayed in Dark Moonglow, just a small portion... a few screens' worth and a MUCH smaller size of an area than even Magincia.

As it was Magincia was a very small area to work with, now they tried to fit 250 to 1000 simultaneous characters, then DOUBLED them into a miniscule location. I'm frankly surprised that the subservers used held out (compared to the telestorming days when Trammel housing opened).

Shoving too many people into a small area NEVER works well regardless where and when it happens be it in UO, any other game or even real life.

G

I was using my fencer this morning and worked very well till I saw all the super dragons so I went and got on my tamer. I started to kill the winged things with my dragon and I was doing about 11 to 17 points of damage and I was shocked because with my pally fencer using the Pixie Swatter and EoO I do about 150 to 160 points of damage each hit compared to my super dragon doing 11 to 17 points each hit.

Maybe due to the blackrock bonus?

I think the problem with the dragons is mainly due to size of the model more than damage output. They make it extremely difficult to see what's going on.

C

Chango Pelon

Heh, I just walked around noble sacrificing for ghosts and ressing pets since I was on my wrestling reporter. I ended up getting a sword for my actions. Not bad for only having the ever-useless-by-itself-unless-you-are-a-chicken-wrestling skill.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
thats weird my dragon took on 3 of them at the same time and with me vetting
had all 3 almost dead untill the fetid essence targeted me (the weak link) and i had to run off then got wacked by another winged thingy (follen i think there called) by the time i got back there were 3 dead and my dragon finally had died to the forth i believe (not sure wasnt there was getting rezzed)

G

Honestly, I have to agree the geography is kind of sub-par. The fences allow the monsters to cast across while requiring players to make very, very long loops (in some cases) if they're not a ranged type -- and then if they try to flee, the monster just teleports over to pursue anyway.

Monster spawn is just as heavy near the entrance portal, meaning that there's no easily-defensible safe place or staging area. Monsters spawn in the houses with that same frequency, making them more like traps than safe places. The healers are often camped by monsters since players are spending all of their time just keep cleaning the portal area.

It's working alright as-is, but there are definitely some 'simple' ideas that could make it more enjoyable for everyone involved ... of course, we have no idea how simple they actually would be to employ in the back-end, so I give the devs the benefit of the doubt for now.

G

Thats the case on siege anyway. The only people doing anything were/are tamers. There are some dexers but they were really just running around trying to avoid dying.

E

eolsunder1

Well i'm doing fine with my archer. Sure sometimes she gets in the middle of a spellgank from the monsters, but most of the time shes fine.

The dexxers are doing good, their pixie swatters make short work of the monsters, while my archer takes quite a bit longer with a slower bow and no fey slayer.

J

J0KING

Unless getting ganked by a bunch of them... having no real trouble with my mage and doing fairly well... at least I like to think

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yep my Archer is doing just fine...figured I"d get OFF my tamer and try her...doing much better actually then on my tamer

G

I know my mage is doing great...she useless against berserkers
but then I heal and rez those that are killing them...everything
else i can either solo or definitely get looting rights.

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTLFC

I dunno, I think I saw about 50/50 tamers and dexxers/mages. And frankly, the dexxers were chomping through the fallen warriors faster than most of the super drags there. No doubt about the fact that when it comes to the essences, the dragons are king. But they are far from indestructable - I watched an Eth Shadowlord chomp through my 950hp dragon in less than a minute. And it wasn't just drags there - I saw a good half dozen cus amongst the Oce crew last night.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that tamers aren't effectively useless with this spawn. Let's be honest - the Ophidian Beserkers were _impossible_ for a tamer. That invasion was just depressing for me - I don't play a melee char, its just not my style. I barely got looting rights back then, and certainly not on any beserkers. This time around - about three hours of carnage, close to twenty deaths to me and a good half dozen for my drag (mostly thanks to griefing, sigh), and a haul of seven Swords, one Shield and five Threads. I've yet to get to an Ethereal Shadowlord before he's redlined, but I'm patient.

Yes, the lag was horrific. I do have to say the speed of these critters is the main reason for most of my deaths - trying to run on foot on my home shard and lagging like I'm on Europa is a bit frustrating heh. But all in all, I'm a happy camper

On an aside, I want to thank the Devs again for the new pet command changes. What with the impossible lag and the heavy respawn rates, this event would have been next to impossible for most tamers. You guys rock