• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Defensive Mage Template

J

[JD]

What do you guys think about something like this?

120 Mage
120 Eval
80 Anat (defensive wrestle)
90 Healing (healing/curing while moving)
120 Resist
100 Med
70 Parry*

*Ok, so Parry is way lower than I would want it. Obviously this would be easier on a 720 skill account, unfortunately mine's 700 skills.

I could use some skill items, I think I can cut corners on the med or the resist. Or ditch the resist, add chiv and ninja.

With dex at 80, Int would be low so would need to load up on high MR since no room for Focus.

Thoughts on making this better?

Thanks

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
JD,

Lynk posted some of his PvP mage temps a long time ago. One of them is his parry mage which sounds similar to what you are asking.

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Resisting Spells
120 Parrying
100 Anatomy
100 Scribe
80 Med

That's 760 skill points. My recollection was that he got +20 Magery from Crystalline ring and +20 Med from other items. Of course this thread was pre-imbuing. You could optimize the suit better now and don't need to use a Crystalline ring. Remember, with parry you need 80 Dex to be most effective. You also need to fit 70 DCI on the suit.

-OBSIDIAN-

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would avoid using healing in a mage template. The cost outweighs the benefit.

The speed in which the bandaid applies correlates directly to your dexterity. To get a 4 second bandie you need 150 dex.

I'd take those points and invest them elsewhere.

N

NickyDishes

I would avoid using healing in a mage template. The cost outweighs the benefit.

The speed in which the bandaid applies correlates directly to your dexterity. To get a 4 second bandie you need 150 dex.

I'd take those points and invest them elsewhere.
lynk is right, healing on a mage is useless dont do it to yourself....there are way more better skills to choose that will help u way more...for example...id rather have 90 ninja than 90 healing on a mage for animal forms for being dismounted and mirror images.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Lynk / Nicky -- what are the current ninjitsu mage templates you are running? I think the last time we discussed this was before imbuing. You can customize suits so much more now.

-OBSIDIAN-

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lynk / Nicky -- what are the current ninjitsu mage templates you are running? I think the last time we discussed this was before imbuing. You can customize suits so much more now.

-OBSIDIAN-
I have a new one that I'm running now.

120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 mystic
120 focus
80 ninja
60 spellweaving

I managed to cram in 70 DCI.

Pretty fun to spam plague with pixies when you're getting zerged.

Another option instead of weaving would be 60 necro for the omen and painspike.

J

[JD]

Would you guys rather have 120 resist or parry on a myst/mage?

My computer seems to be rather laggy. So whatever will protect me the most. My server tends to be a combination of pvp archers (stealth/nonstealth), mages, and tamers.

F

Feikun

Would you guys rather have 120 resist or parry on a myst/mage?

My computer seems to be rather laggy. So whatever will protect me the most.
My server tends to be a combination of pvp archers (stealth/nonstealth), mages, and tamers.
I'd say every single existing shards are purely composed of PvP archers, mages and tamers. *laugh*

Generally parrying will protect you the most, given that half of UO are one-armed dex monkeys on down syndrome.

That's of course if you:
  • Don't wear a mediocre newb suit to get close to 80 dex.
  • Wear a shield and a shield only, with the exception of bushido variant templates.
  • Mainly fight against melee and like cheese to an extreme level.
If Mythic still counted evaluate intelligence as part of mysticism, I'd be having fun with a necro mystic by now for sure.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have a new one that I'm running now.

120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 mystic
120 focus
80 ninja
60 spellweaving

I managed to cram in 70 DCI.

Pretty fun to spam plague with pixies when you're getting zerged.

Another option instead of weaving would be 60 necro for the omen and painspike.
Cool. How many skill points are you running on Jewelry? Looks like you are 20 over right now and I assume you have another +20 Magery (probably Alchemy Tali and +15 on ring or brace) to let you carry a -20 Mage Weapon. Are you still FC2/FCR6? How much MR with only focus (no med)?

-OBSIDIAN-

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool. How many skill points are you running on Jewelry? Looks like you are 20 over right now and I assume you have another +20 Magery (probably Alchemy Tali and +15 on ring or brace) to let you carry a -20 Mage Weapon. Are you still FC2/FCR6? How much MR with only focus (no med)?

-OBSIDIAN-
Using the crystalline ring and the magery/ep talisman.

Only 8 MR. 6 from crystalline/orny and then 2 on my sleeves. I could fit more, but opted to go with aof/fey/folded to hit 70 dci.

Yes 2/6 casting. I actually have a -23 mage wep that I had pre-imbue that can't be beaten with imbuing but same idea ya.

The character (just like any mage wep char) still has problems with disarm archer zergs.

Am currently revamping one of my old parry templates to go anat/mystic/ninja. I think it will give a slight edge in terms of defense.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I didn't realize faction Crystalline Ring has FCR 3. That is very nice. Pairs perfectly with a faction Orny for a mystic-mage.

The mystic-ninja with anatomy looks viable. You just need +15 skill on the bracelet. You could replace the Faction Orny with an imbued brace (+15 Skill, FCR 3, LMC or LRC, DCI, EP) paired with an Arcane Shield (FC 1 and 15 DCI).

95 Magery (+20 Crystalline; +5 Alch Tali)
120 Eval
100 Focus (+20 Crystalline)
120 Myst
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
80 Ninjitsu

What am I missing?

-OBS-

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't realize faction Crystalline Ring has FCR 3. That is very nice. Pairs perfectly with a faction Orny for a mystic-mage.

The mystic-ninja with anatomy looks viable. You just need +15 skill on the bracelet. You could replace the Faction Orny with an imbued brace (+15 Skill, FCR 3, LMC or LRC, DCI, EP) paired with an Arcane Shield (FC 1 and 15 DCI).

95 Magery (+20 Crystalline; +5 Alch Tali)
120 Eval
100 Focus (+20 Crystalline)
120 Myst
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
80 Ninjitsu

What am I missing?

-OBS-
Well I was going to use the tome of lost knowledge, orny, and no shield. End up with 65 dci with folded/aof/feys and the quiver.

J

[JD]

So I'm thinking of stoning off resist for parry. Or making it interchangeable so I can swap them out and mix it up, anyway.

120 Myst
120 Eval
120 Mage (120 Trained +20 crystalline Ring + -20 Mage Weap)
120 Focus (100 Trained +20 Crystalline ring)
120 Parry
85 Ninja (Llama form, Mirror images)
35 Med

This char is a gargoyle and carries a -20 Mage weap with 25 DCI plus a shield (have macro to disarm shield and drink pots.

• Is this setup ok to use with Parry? What type of changes would you make?
  • What stats should I go for? Obviously 80 dex with items... just wondering how low my str/int will end up being!
  • Should I go with Wrestle or Anat/eval instead of the DCI weap? I kinda like saving all the skill points and having the DCI weap - with weap I have 70 DCI (yes I can be disarmed, but it rarely happens)

Thanks

N

NickyDishes

So I'm thinking of stoning off resist for parry. Or making it interchangeable so I can swap them out and mix it up, anyway.

120 Myst
120 Eval
120 Mage (120 Trained +20 crystalline Ring + -20 Mage Weap)
120 Focus (100 Trained +20 Crystalline ring)
120 Parry
85 Ninja (Llama form, Mirror images)
35 Med

This char is a gargoyle and carries a -20 Mage weap with 25 DCI plus a shield (have macro to disarm shield and drink pots.

• Is this setup ok to use with Parry? What type of changes would you make?
  • What stats should I go for? Obviously 80 dex with items... just wondering how low my str/int will end up being!
  • Should I go with Wrestle or Anat/eval instead of the DCI weap? I kinda like saving all the skill points and having the DCI weap - with weap I have 70 DCI (yes I can be disarmed, but it rarely happens)

Thanks
we dont have zerg dexxers on this shard...its more of a mage/myst or mage/necro shard.....altho there r lots of archers its not like other shards......i found myself not using my parry mage at all anymore.....i run:

120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 spellweaving
120 Ninja
110 med

I could fit another skill in and make a more versatile toon but everything i had at 120 already and its been very useful in grinders and in the feild

N

NickyDishes

i would drop 35 med and put the rest into ninja for better chances at wolf form for extra hp increase imo