• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) Dear friends (enemies), memories and the Umbra Hub.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I received a PM some time ago from Hera... Tanner Blackfell passed away on Nov 20th. Hera sent me this news as he kinda thought I would care. Hera was correct. I have mulled it over for quite some time and I am going to merge two of my service houses.

The Hub is coming down as is the Memorial for Cliff (Aeric). This will be a gradual process and I expect little to no interruption of The Umbra hub. I will announce any interruption of the hub in advance.

My goals are to create an even better public teleporter hub. A public service house that also honers those friends and enemies that we would like to remember.

Aeric Horn will be remembered at the Hub I have in mind. Folger, Tanner, and maybe some others I do not know of. I feel this will be a more fitting way to honor those players. I envision a park... with trees and stuff.

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know Aeric loved Minoc. I met him on his very first day on siege.
I think some sort of small park near the minoc moongate would be a befitting memorial. He would have liked that.
There are several nice spots near the gate, that will not place a house.
If you want to have a contest for the design, I will happily make a nice donation.
I don't see why the community cannot make this happen.

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kelmo, there is on Atlantic a "Hall Of Players," so named because players donated the house and every exhibit in it. Over 350 UO players are exhibited there. The roof is reserved for those UO players who are no longer with us except in memory. Tanner Blackfell is welcome. If you have anything with his name on it, or a book about him, just drop the items in the mailbox there. I will make sure Tanner Blackfell has an exhibit. The Hall is located out the Luna south gate on the Malas Road across from the Brigand Camp at 41N,24W. There is a rune to the Hall in the Secret Chest out front of the Book Store.

Also, if you wish, you might talk to Kattasrophe about a similar project here on Siege. She is working on a "Museum Of Players." She and Victoria may want to contribute to your honor park.

It's the players who make a game. Programmers, like architects, may build a city but real people have to give it life. It is fitting that we remember those who gave a UO a real history.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a shame. I know I had just mentioned him in the other thread, but it is good to have closure on knowing he has passed and no longer suffering. Sounds like a good plan you got Kelm.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you are doing the right thing in merging the memorial with the hub. Firstly, one player (like Queen Zen before you) should only be expected to shoulder the cost of a monument for so long. Secondly, more people will probably see the memorials if they are placed in something like a public teleporter hub.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I wish I had more stories of Tanner and the JD guild. I am pretty sure WyRm was a member of JD. Yes... I have been here for a bit.

I do remember a meeting JD called for the leaders of Iantown... Over a decade or so ago some few of us came here to Siege. It was a different place then. Guilds used to make reservations to go raid and kill Iantown.

I do remember that meeting. I am pretty sure Tanner was there.

That evening JD pretty much said... "we are little bit tired of sweeping in and killing you all everyday. some of ya try ta fight back... but yer obviously villagers.

The thing we noticed is ya keep coming back. We appreciate that and will keep that in mind.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Good times.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
r
I think you are doing the right thing in merging the memorial with the hub. Firstly, one player (like Queen Zen before you) should only be expected to shoulder the cost of a monument for so long. Secondly, more people will probably see the memorials if they are placed in something like a public teleporter hub.
I can not even remember how many years I kept the AericHorn memorial going behind the Umbra Hub, while also trying to remake the huge vendor house which once was Aeric's and MYTH and lot of other folks sold their wares out of that as well also Umbra hub area but a bit further back.
Aside from shouldering the cost ie keeping some extra UO accts. open to host/house any Memorial, it is difficult after so long to live in there too or try to work/play and maintain the memorial, any memorial. It takes an emotional toll on oneself as well. Many the times be it on my Miranda the one that owned the Aeric Horn Memorial house, co owning it to my Queen Zen and male chrs. there would be many days when you are as if 24/7 surrounded by the memorial, all the books he wrote, crafts he made on display, etc. and you are asking yourself, time and time again...is this how a once rl active in game and rl lively fellow would wish us to remember him ?

Would he wish to be remembered in some memorial which after time becomes or seems like some mausoleum of non life ?? I had often thought maybe just some pretty fountain or trees that somehow say I am alive just elsewhere or something instead of him being sorta *entombed* in the memorial we had pretty and respectful as it was, after longer and longer time passes, yu almost can hear him saying... it's been a long time now, please let me go, just remember me in your hearts and minds !!! or do something else like a living tree and just tack my name on it. Memorials are great but they can over long long periods of time nearly emotionally suffocate whomever is trying to maintain it for as long as they can, and ya may even think you are hearing them say, let me go, make just something simple like a fountain or tree to remember me by. :(
It is not easy to keep a memorial somehow as vibrant as the life that once ran all over a game shard leading, following, doing so much for so many, so alive...whom we do miss and always will miss them, being in UO/us and a part of us as a whole community of Siege. . plus the new transfers over to Siege need to know those that came before and did so much here, for Siege while they were here, rl alive and part of our game world.

I wish ya luck and good direction within yourself and ur heart in the planning stages of the memorial for more than one we lost here. I still remember Folger with fondess too, and oft wondered where is HIS memorial. :) So good luck Kelmo, and I wish ye the best in the new fangled creation to make a *multi personality* sorta memorial for everyone Siege lost to rl death, just keep in mind, someone FIESTY like RL Cliff may whisper in ur ear...make it simpler, this go round, a simple firey tree with my name in front of it, maybe one of the books I once wrote, few of the guilds I was in or a part of or created with the player towns, in one book, about me, will do nicely ! :)

Cuz trying to 'live' with ur characters as caretakers, in a 'mausoleum' with the one ya trying to remember, hoping others remember, is no easy task & after so many years go by, ya about hear them scream; LET ME GO remember me in ur hearts and minds with a tiny token to mark my former presence/activities or worth here, that will make me happy enough.

Last edited:

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
;
You know Aeric loved Minoc. I met him on his very first day on siege.
I think some sort of small park near the minoc moongate would be a befitting memorial. He would have liked that.
There are several nice spots near the gate, that will not place a house.
If you want to have a contest for the design, I will happily make a nice donation.
I don't see why the community cannot make this happen.
:) He built an entire new player run town up there. Began sort small but by time I came to Siege 2004 it was of pretty good size up there by Minoc way.
RL Cliff always told me he felt sorta sad that for whatever reasons it just didn't do as well as he had hoped. Not like that was the end of his player run town building many more came, Myth town close prox. to former Wintermoor, and later on the entire Stonehaven/Umbra sets ups as well and beyond.
But yep I do remember that player run town up there Minoc way. He was hosting a scavenger hunt and more so my new to Siege self went to all that stuff. That was where I first met some DTA folks like Lady Pyrite, met some KSS folks, met some guy named Castor and met a lady named Skylark, you were there *I remember* and this one guy some KSS knight commander at the time, whom Aeric former KSS himself, wanted this fella to give some speech in the new town, and speechifying speaking he sure did, on and on, and on :) yall think I talk to long hahha, he roleplayed this long glowing speech...his name was Py Lethius. That weekend went like who's who on Siege Perilous, at the time. :)

THEN some vile vampire hordes came a calling, during that weekend of Minoc area player run events. I got my first extermination, as my Queen Zen chr. exploring this shard, off some one shouting at me [DIE INSOLENT BLUE...] his name was WYRM, at those events. I laughed my head off, as I croaked, and decided then and there SIEGE was the shard, for me. :) So yeh aside from my prior meetings with Shalimar and Freja whom Shal had introduced me to, and meeting Lady Pyrite of DTA, all from some place called, NEW guild house, at the time, I was new here and in no guilds not even NEW yet, was at that time just exploring Siege on my noob chrs. here, getting to know Siege as a shard and community, deciding if this old UO vet from 1998 pretrammel Chesapeake, would even like Siege, 2004.

But yep it was those player run events, held by Aeric Horn and his Ginsu and etc. chrs. up there by Minoc-way one weekend, I felt like I was getting a really good bird eye view of Siege and it's community of players.
Somehow though I did know in my hues of gray that after my death I seen in ghost view and watched some weirdo fight, to the death, between that speechifying chap with the KSS tag on him, and the other one VMP lord of the damned shouting; DIE INSOLENT BLUE....I felt I found for me, a shard well worth staying on. peeps were fighting and dying and they had NO insurance and it didn't seem bother any of them. YAY UO as it was meant to be I thought. :) I was smitten then and there on strange shard, called.... Siege Perilous !

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Tanner had been here from the start of Siege I think, 10-8-99 is my first record of him in my journals.
Tanner BlackFell: [Romad, CE]

Looks like he took a break and he was back 8-10-2003
Tanner BlackFell [J-D]

J-D was started of Alice Cooper: [Guildmaster, J-D]
J-D came to the shard like many other red guilds, with the goal to own the shard. They started with killing all on sight and dry looting. I remember they annoyed me and I found their forum and blamed them for the dry looting. Like other new red guilds, they claimed, they died a lot and needed the stuff as they was always dry looted. One of them got annoyed of me and told he would find me in game, forgot his name but he did find me in my house. I went out to fight and died. To my surprise, I got a res and no looting :p
Most of this guilds did not make it, but J-D learned and stayed. Think they started in 2001.

SwampfoxOWL

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Freja is correct

I do remember Alice being the GM of J-D as the new kids on the block and unlike so many learnt their place quickly and actually got better

If I remember one brash player called WORD was also in that guild

Sad to hear about Tanner

Not sure of the CE reference unless you mean one of the first guilds on SP called Criminal Element

So long ago

Swampfox

or better known on SP as (Ozatar)

*waves*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Not sure of the CE reference unless you mean one of the first guilds on SP called Criminal Element
I remember Ozatar and yes it was one of the first guilds on SP called Criminal Element, I had forgot I had known Tanner that long, my old journals are a great place to refresh old memmories

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
A few names on at same days as I meet you ingame, hope it will bring you some memories :)

Ozatar: [Guardian, ROK]
Ozatar: (Defender, True Britannians)
And you are from Australia

(11-18-00)
Lard Buttrash: (Defender, True Britannians)
Debain Zataurous: [knight, B*A]
frost: [The Cold Angel, B*A]
You see: Old Salty Pete
You see: Camio DesouL
You see: Zackery
You see: Killian
You see: Moses
Rachael: [Baroness, B*A]
Rachael: (Defender, True Britannians)
Q'uatir: not worth 1k
Q'uatir: [Page, KSL]
Spartin: [Strategic Commander, G0L]
Simon De Laplace: [Ranger, G0L]
Palix Strongarm: [B*A]
Palix Strongarm: (Defender, True Britannians)
Kima: [RAT]
Elbereth: (Mystic, Council of Mages)
Brutus: (Defender, True Britannians)
Brutus: [Guildmaster, 11]
Caramon Fey: (Defiler, Minax)
Caramon Fey: [Avenger of Minax, ToD]
Poison Elemental: (Defiler, Minax)
Talindar: (Defiler, Minax)
Chobosan: (Avenger of Mondain, Minax)
Dusty: (Defiler, Minax)
Dusty: [The village Idiot, KOS]
Major Smackdown: (Defiler, Minax)
Chobosan: (Avenger of Mondain, Minax)
Kurse: (Defiler, Minax)
DarkRanger: (Mystic, Council of Mages)
Ozatar: [Guardian, ROK]
Fear (evil)
Gem: [Guild CraftsWoman, BTE]
Agamemnon: (Defender, True Britannians)
Agamemnon: Do you wish to call it a draw?
Who will you use the bandages on?
You begin applying the bandages.
Freja: ?
You finish applying the bandages.
Freja: you mean_?
Agamemnon: Neither shall win
Heather: [Lady Pirate, W@R]
Eminem: [Warrior Trainie Klan, GOD]
You see: a corpse of Dakkon of SAS
Rellik: [Warlord of Klan, GOD]
Hellfire: [Guildmaster, GOD]
Freja: You have hidden yourself well.
Excalibur: [Slave, UDL]
Fogma DevilDjinn: [Squire to BG, UDL]
Elessar: [Outlaws - O, TDO]
ybird: [Newborn - R, TDM]
RASPUTIN: [Veteran - V, TDO]
Panchito Bandido: [Recruit - R, TDM]

Freja (Siege Perilous)
10:48:31 11/25/00
Diana: [the Dark Lady, ITB]
Stone Henge: (Knight of the Codex, True Britannians)
Dr Moriarty: (Defender, True Britannians)
Dr Moriarty: [Guildmaster, none]
Josephine: (Defender, True Britannians)
Kurrdar: (Defender, True Britannians)
Girl Scout: (Defender, True Britannians)
You see: a corpse of Elessar
You see: a corpse of Freja
Billabong: (Defender, True Britannians)
Ozatar: (Defender, True Britannians)
Stone Henge: An Corp - Resurrection
Ozatar: need a rez Freja ?
Girl Scout is attempting to heal you.
You have lost a lot of fame.
Ozatar: nice evening Freja :)
You see: Tela
Ozatar: 11.23 in Australia
Ozatar: cya all
ENERGIZER: [Evil is Good, A&W]
Phoenix: [the Craftsman, ITB]
Ebonsteel: (Defiler, Minax)
Ebonsteel: [Disciple, DTM]
Pagan: (Dread Knight, Minax)
Blacknight: [Outlaws - O, TDO]
Eric Draven: [Death Knight - Void, GOD]
Diana: [the Dark Lady, ITB]
Cloren: [The Honest, ITB]
ORE: [FA]
You see: Belladonna
You see: ybird
Excalibur: [Slave, UDL]
You see: X'Ortarath
You see: Welcome Rain
You see: cobra
Miss America: (Bringer of Sorrow, Shadowlords)
Deed Lit: [Queen, FA]

Freja (Siege Perilous)
07:34:13 12/10/00
Doc Holliday: [Fighter - O, TDO]
Mudcat: [Justicar, SMC]
Cypher: (Defender, True Britannians)
Cypher: [Magestic Slayer, BiH]
loratab: [Mystic Warrior, B*A]
Zima: (Purveyor of Darkness, Shadowlords)
Nebuchadnezzar: (Knight of the Codex, True Britannians)
Nebuchadnezzar: [Mercenary, BiH]
Maliki: (Purveyor of Darkness, Shadowlords)
Maliki: [Shadow Enforcer, TSG]
Fury: [Holy Paladin, =M=]
Fury: (Archon of Principle, Council of Mages)
Bushmaster: (The Sheriff of Minoc, True Britannians)
Bushmaster: [Guildmaster, ROK]
raven: (Defender, True Britannians)
raven: [WarBird, B^M]
Mooskim: [Lord Smith, 815]
SiR BuRnS: (Agent of Evil, Shadowlords)
Boren: (Keeper of Lies, Shadowlords)
Boren: [The Fighting Smith, SLS]
Guilhem: (Guard, True Britannians)
Jessee: (Guard, True Britannians)
Conary Mor: (The Finance Minister of Minoc, True Britannians)
Conary Mor: [Knight Crusader, ROK]
Dark Man-X: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Kush: (Agent of Evil, Shadowlords)
Kush: [YEW) Knight-Ranger, Y*R]
Ian Glowember: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Ian Glowember: [-G-]
Julien Savah: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Max Glowember: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Molly Glowember: [Problem Child, -G-]
Molly Glowember: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Sinjin Glowember: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Asparouh: (Servant, Shadowlords)
Morgoth: [Yew) Knight-Ranger, Y*R]
Morgoth: (Purveyor of Darkness, Shadowlords)
You see: Ozatar
You see: a UDL slave
Din Sha: (Sentinel, True Britannians)
Sephanie: [Evil Scout, PMS]
Sephanie: (Purveyor of Darkness, Shadowlords)
Aldrick
ccc
You see: Lady Ginger
You see: Edward
Tamara: [Honey Bee, FM, IFF]
You see: Nuressa
Phoenix: [the Craftsman, ITB]
Rucrose: (Sentinel, True Britannians)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I met Aeric only a couple weeks after coming over to Siege from Sonoma. We would hang in Sloan's old place and chase more "aggressive" players around. Of course, I did more spectating in black and white than I did chasing, but it sure made RoT fly by and was by far the most fun I'd had in UO since 1997.

Good times