• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dear FoF Santa,

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I want for Five on Friday is a KR patch.

Or a statement confirming that you have infact scrapped production on it, so I can stop hoping.

Thanks.

I

imported_Specialshoes

Or even a statement that the keyboard shortcuts and pack gumps will be fixed in the future.

B

Belmarduk

/signed
I would like to reactivate my subscription again... about 80 days left till is runs out..

G

<blockquote><hr>

/signed
I would like to reactivate my subscription again... about 80 days left till is runs out..

[/ QUOTE ]

so you have played uo in 2d for years and now that kingdom reborn exists you refuse to play the game unless you can play KR? what if they never created kr...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

/signed

[/ QUOTE ]

so you have played uo in 2d for years and now that kingdom reborn exists you refuse to play the game unless you can play KR? what if they never created kr...

[/ QUOTE ]

He played 3D. If he started playing UO with the 3D client, having to move to the 2D client could be culture shock. Just like all the 2D players that refuse to play KR. He's no different from all the 2D players that threaten to quit if 2D is discontinued.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

/signed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He played 3D. If he started playing UO with the 3D client, having to move to the 2D client could be culture shock. Just like all the 2D players that refuse to play KR. He's no different from all the 2D players that threaten to quit if 2D is discontinued.

[/ QUOTE ]

quitting because 2d is more of a legitimate reason, uo started in 2d and was 2d with nothing else for years, the original 3d was pretty bad as am sure most can agree, true KR is better than that but still just something to try to compete with wow

G

Everyone has their own perceptions. If someone started playing UO in 3D then to them UO is 3D. Just like most people started in 2D, to them UO is 2D. The ability to adjust to different clients is whole other subject.

<blockquote><hr>

quitting because 2d is more of a legitimate reason

[/ QUOTE ]

Quitting because of 2D is no more legitimate than quitting because of 3D or KR for that matter. Quitting is one persons decision. To them, that is all that matters. I'm not talking about the community. I'm not talking about the subscription numbers. I'm talking about the point of view of one person. Their reason to quit is just as legitimate as anyone elses.

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

/signed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

quitting because 2d is more of a legitimate reason, uo started in 2d and was 2d with nothing else for years, the original 3d was pretty bad as am sure most can agree, true KR is better than that but still just something to try to compete with wow

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I bought 3rd Dawn Spring 2001 and started UO from there on.
I never liked 2D but thats opinion - They deactivated 3D claiming there would be a great new client - Anyone remember how even the majority of the 2D community was thrilled?
Then it went downhill from there on...:
The client was claimed Gold when it wasnt even in real-beta state....
I would call KR beta NOW
If the bugs were fixed,it run on more computers (MIDLEVEL machines ! and not on a certain spektrum of machines which are lucky enough to fit its specs...), graphic-issues were fixed,the graphics for certain items,creatures etc were changed and other things so it would on the whole be more playable and presentable I am sure more people would use it - When KR had REALLY gone Gold they should have released it and deactivated 2D AND 3D at the same time !
Furthermore they should have kept the players in the loop more instead of presenting them with graphics many players dont like - Thats the way I would have done it. EA obviously thought their way was better... Now it seems they have given up on it and then try to keep quiet about it.
As far as I know - Correct me if I am wrong:
There has been <font color="red"> ONE </font> official statement about the Status of KR in the last 6 weeks..... " We are not ignoring KR " What the hell should that mean ? We will now and then fix a few small things in the client????

This is like having a house that is <font color="red"> an unfinished wreck </font> and then now and then planting ONE plant in the garden - Yes the house has a roof,but I would like a kitchen and heating BEFORE the winter.

You might just aswell completly deactivate KR if this is your future policy about it...
What we want is <font color="red"> an official statement </font> about KR.
Plain and simple english - No talking around the bush etc
I thought Jeremy has been doing a good job till now but there has not been a SINGLE statement from her about KR since...
Whatever - I care/have cared enough about the game to have kept waiting and waiting and waiting for better times for UO - but I am losing patience now fast.
I have allready deactivated the automatic rebilling of my subscription and HELL I am not reactivating it if there is not SOME reason for me to do so...
Belmarduk

I

imported_Electrolyte

<blockquote><hr>

All I want for Five on Friday is a KR patch.

Or a statement confirming that you have infact scrapped production on it, so I can stop hoping.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... let's see some KR luvin'

-=\E

G

For whatever reason people in this thread may quit...

Can I have your stuff?...la

B

Belmarduk

Yep
Advertise a great client - Ruin the old client during the progress trying to juggle too much at the same time and then give up completley a few months later......Lame.....

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]UO has had a secondary client for longer than it hasn't, and while the 3D client kept getting worse and worse with regard to avatar graphics, the client DID have many nice features that took them forever to port to 2D, and we still don't have any of the additional movement features that already exist in the 2D client.

If someone was used to 3D, yeah, the 2D client, from their standpoint, would be a step down.

KR needs work. Sadly, it needs an interface overhaul too. And crisper graphics -- WAY crisper graphics.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Like the hedge maze... I'm still miffed about that.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah... there's no reason that they should have borked the 2D client just to make "improvements" for the KR client. There are so many areas of the game now that even the 2D client doesn't do justice to anymore, all in the name of fancy schmancy tiling that honestly, the clients shouldn't even care about in relationship to each other.

And breaking the cool secret path into the building beneath the house in the center of the maze (plus all the other changes) are all unacceptable.

But EA's been producing sub-par games for ages.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, you've been around long enough to know that anyone from EA can't do this...they are all at Legendary skill level for ****ting their way through tough questions while making sure to answer questions on simple things that are easily found in the KB.

*Wonders how long this post will remain before one of the Mods (especially a certain one) moves it since I badmouthed EA and/or Jeremy again.*

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, you've been around long enough to know that anyone from EA can't do this...they are all at Legendary skill level for ****ting their way through tough questions while making sure to answer questions on simple things that are easily found in the KB.

*Wonders how long this post will remain before one of the Mods (especially a certain one) moves it since I badmouthed EA and/or Jeremy again.*

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would expect nothing else from EA....

Hehe I am keeping a strict rein on myself and trying not to get into extreme,abusive language about EA atm....

Whole point of this thread is we want a proper statement about KR - Not more... Not less....
But I very much doubt we will....

Lord Djinn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
You got that damn right.

This graph shows the facts with UO at @ 70-75 thousand subscriptions. Yes, the sky is falling.

<center>
</center>

WOW is off the charts with over 10 million! Fact is, all the MMOG subscriptions are crashing down and WOW is shooting straight up like a rocket. As much as I love UO, 2d or 3d, has no factor at this point. Ten years running while trying to still please hardcore UO fans like myself is bitter sweet. IMO, the focus should be placed on 2d. The birds eye view is what sets UO apart from the other's.
<center>
</center>

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

For whatever reason people in this thread may quit...

Can I have your stuff?...la

[/ QUOTE ]
AAA ! tsk tsk !

thats begging ...
NOT stealing ... at best its idoq'ing (in danger of quiting)

still ... trash picking ...
hehehehehe

Need a diversion ? to freshen your skills ? stealth around with a piece of blackrock ... no ... NOT to PvM a shadowlord ...
to spawn blackrock infected critters ... ... make sure there's one of those luck statues handy ... boost the overall loot's
Just saying ... gotta BE somethings to be Stealings somethings ...
get ready incase some of it spills over into fel ...

btw ... whatcha think the chances are ... That "Ricardo" was inspired by: TheScoundrelRico ??

I always believed it to be so ...

Light touch and swift feet to ya ... Thou bootless onion-eyed jack-a-nape !!

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, the sky is falling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it will reach the ground soon if nothing happens....
It doesnt matter which client you use, better realise this...

UO is obviously totally understaffed and the remaining staff are trying to make everything look good by doing a few random events...bah
One client scrapped - the other one damaged in the progress (certain tiles in 2D etc)
Stygian Abyss - Vaporware
I could make a VERY long list now but whats the point...
The merge in autuum was not bad it was a catastrophe....

F

Fayled Dhreams

FACTS !?!?! you sully the word

it is a chart ... nothing more ...

want "apparent" facts ?

see Tabula Rasa ... what "facts" are there ... ???

now

hows them facts work out for ya?

there is <font color=red>NO SKY </font color=red> in UO ... foo

Lord Djinn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, the sky is falling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it will reach the ground soon if nothing happens....
It doesnt matter which client you use, better realise this...

UO is obviously totally understaffed and the remaining staff are trying to make everything look good by doing a few random events...bah

[/ QUOTE ]

and players are actually going along with it, too.

Reminds me of a movie Jaws quote........

<font color="red"> Mayor Vaughn </font>: "I don't think either one of you are familiar with our problems.
<font color="green"> Hooper </font>: " I think that I am familiar with the fact that you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you on the ass...

G

How about this for a reason...

I started playing over 10 years ago with the 2d client. I was using a 17in Sony Trinitron monitor and everything looked fine, especially for the timeframe.

Later I upgraded to a 19in Viewsonic flat CRT and everything was still fine.

Then I odd-graded (upgraded in technology, downgraded in size) to a 15in LCD screen and things were still ok.

Then I upgraded to a 17in LCD and the 2d client became small. Luckily by that time, the 3d client became very playable and I got used not only to having the proportion of the game window as it used to be, but for a larger resolution setting, but also the expandable containers for storage.

Then I upgraded to a 19in LCD and things were still ok, the 3d client worked well, however the 2d-based environmental graphics were rather pixelated being zoomed in because of how the 3d client kept the game window at an 800x600 resolution equivalent, but it was easier to see that than an 800x600 window in 1280x1024 setting.

Then KR came out... later it would gain compatibility with large resolutions.

Then I upgraded to a 22in widescreen LCD which KR works BEAUTIFULLY on. Not only does the game window size appropriately proportionally, but it does so WITHOUT becoming a pixelated mess, I can store everything nice and organized with grid view, and I have functionality that neither the 3d nor 2d client gave me.

So while I COULD go back to 2d, personally, I feel that I would simply lose too much of my gaming experience in terms of client quality to desire to continue to play UO and enjoy it.

To make a comparative question... what do you think the outcome would be if UOA was completely blocked from working with UO... how many people would quit if they didn't have that program to augment the short-comings of the 2d client?

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

So while I COULD go back to 2d, personally, I feel that I would simply lose too much of my gaming experience in terms of client quality to desire to continue to play UO and enjoy it.

To make a comparative question... what do you think the outcome would be if UOA was completely blocked from working with UO... how many people would quit if they didn't have that program to augment the short-comings of the 2d client?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - Good Post - Hits the nail on the head

I very much doubt we will get an answer - It will be the usuall Fof with questions like "How do I regenerate mana faster" hehe
Uasuall winding themselves away from difficult questions hehe
EA should lecture politicans

G

<blockquote><hr>

/signed

[/ QUOTE ]

How's EVE online doing? I'm itching to get my grubby hands back in the market scheme. Have they implemented walk-in stations yet or is that still far off?

J

joblackjon

I had a career in new product development and re-developement (not games but business is business). Here's how I picture KR's short history...

1. Sales Management Meeting -- "UO is not attracting enough new customers. We have X.y years before we become unprofitable and close down. When we tested UO among non-users they laughed at the graphics. We need new graphics to attrack new customers to stay profitable."

2. Art Department mocks-up a series of concept art for new UO graphics. They are internally tweaked and approved.

3. Market Research conducts a series of focus groups among the non-user target market and the new concept art is well received.

4. Management decides to implent the new graphics and Programming begins.

5. The new concept art is shown to the current player base (remember?) to great approval.

6. The current player base are used as a substitue for an expensive Quality Assurance Department (that may have required a staff of 100). This gets KR into a reasonably playable condition.

7. KR code is deleveloped/debugged to the current level (last KR patch).

8. Market Research selects a sample of the non-user target market to test KR's graphics in-game. No one is impressed because the in-game implemention bears little semblance to the concept art.

9. Management halts all development on KR. Management scratches collective head.

10. Management seriosly considers transforming UO into a sports game based on a central character named Madden The Mage of the Magincia Gridiron.

11. Management seriously considers transforming UO and renaming it "Need For Speed, The Night Mares Return"

12. Management seriously considers eliminating all combat from UO and renaming it "Sim City 2 - Martha Stewart Runs A Smith Shop".

13. Management examines precise week-by-week data on player attrition and new player acquistition. This data is plotted against weekly operating costs. Management pinpoints the exact week in which UO will become unprofitable. Management tries to decide whether it makes good business sense to once again spend capital to attempt to attract new customers or simply allow the game to run it's course. (It may be a game to us players but it's a business to them!)

14. UO's fate flounders in a sea of poor business/management decisions.

15. To be continued, at least for the time being...

I

imported_S!ckLoveR

3 to 8.. Just about the case.. ;P

However I don't think anyone expects a game's quality to be close to released concept art pictures. Those are manipulated in too many ways to be accurate.

UO is Sims with Combat, and it offers many NFS elements in upgrading and tweaking your car- errr.. I mean char so it can run as fast as the rest. Some people have already invented NOS too. It's called SH in Ultima; SpeedHack. ;P

And as for sports challenges? We already have that Luna field.. Give EA a month and instead of fixing cheats they'll find you a way to play UO Football, maybe even make the Luna field instanced so that many teams can play at once.

Back to being serious, they apparently haven't stopped working on KR. Last week I reported 2-3 paperdoll art issues which as of 2 days ago have been fixed. That's good.

But KR -UO as a whole- needs a lot more, a lot faster. Same ol', same ol'...

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

/signed

[/ QUOTE ]

How's EVE online doing? I'm itching to get my grubby hands back in the market scheme. Have they implemented walk-in stations yet or is that still far off?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ambulation will come out Summer/Early Autuum this year

Eve is running along - Subscribtion-rate slowly but continuessly rising (like it has the last 5 years) - Patches coming out (sometimes with few minor bugs which are fixed FAST) - On the whole running along like a healthy mmorpg should...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Back to being serious, they apparently haven't stopped working on KR. Last week I reported 2-3 paperdoll art issues which as of 2 days ago have been fixed. That's good.

But KR -UO as a whole- needs a lot more, a lot faster. Same ol', same ol'... "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
They was a client side patch? - Not that I know of
"needs a lot more,a lot faster" Yupp..........