• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Darkfall

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i've been playing uo for 8+ years consecutively without quitting ever, countless mmos have been created since uo came out, the only one i tried was wow when it was in beta, didn't like it so i never bought it, however i heard about darkfall years ago in development and it looked interesting... now that it is finally out and has been since the end of february i highly recommend it. Theres nothing wrong with playing 2 different mmos, its kind of like UO-2

ok heres what it consists of, developed by a company in greece called aventurine, it has finally been completed after about 7 years in development, at the moment only 1 server exists located in europe, it has many aspects of UO in it as well as WoW, but mostly uo. It is a 3d game and actually looks good, not like kingdom reborn, UO must always be 2d to be good no ands ifs or buts about it, u can't change a game from 2d to 3d, it stays with what it starts as which is fine. So anyway in darkfall, yes it is like felucca only, there are towns with guard towers in them, there are 6 different races and 3 alliances, humans-elves-dwarves are 1 alliance, orks and mahirim which are wolf type of people are another alliance, and something called alfar are a 3rd alliance, each alliance can attack another alliance without getting any penalty and kill eachother without consequence, u can also attack people in your own race or alliance but u go gray and red eventually just like in uo, however its much easier in df to go blue again

you can also make clans which are like guilds where any race can be in it, any of the 6, and u can establish clan cities which can be fought over by other clans, melee pvp with weapons takes place in a 3rd person view where you see your character infront of you, and archery and magery is first person where you see your hand with the mage staff or bow infront of you and a cursor in the middle of the screen to aim with, you must aim your spells and arrows to hit people, it doesnt just auto hit someone if u double click, also if u swing a weapon it can hit anyone infront of u so u have to aim that somewhat too which i think is more fun cause its a challenge

best part, if you are killed, you lose everything on you, armor weapons whatever, just like how uo was before AOS, no insurance, mounts come in statue form and when u summon them someone else can jump on it and steal it if ur not careful, people can also attack your mount while u ride it which is cool

the game offers so much, these are just some of the features so please if you're tired of uo cause lets face it... all there is to do is champ spawns, peerlesses and em events that dont give any reward except a plaque with your name on it, give darkfall a whirl you will not regret it ! it does help if you played first person shooter games before cause u move with W-A-S-D not right clicking like in uo. Dont get me wrong uo is a great game and i still play just not as much, this is just an alternative to keep you occupied until stygian abyss comes out which will hopefully bring a lot more content because uo gets repetitive if they don't keep adding new things which they do take a while to do, don't judge it till you try it :) and no im not the spokesman for darkfall, i just thought many more uo players would be playing df, many people in my clan did play uo before aos though, theres a lot to do beside pvp trust me :) http://darkfallonline.com/

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are you write this in UHall forum?
Moderators, please move thread to 'UHall Off Topic'.
P.S. Darkfall - sux :loser:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall is rapidly losing players and hasn't even managed to fill up one server yet. Also if you consider the best part to be "if you are killed, you lose everything on you", that is pretty messed up. Usually you say the gameplay or the PVP is the best part.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im a 10 year vet playing almost every day. I got DF when it first came out 8 weeks ago or just over that. Anyhow, i have not looked at UO since. Its old school UO, which most of todays players dont like or they would be all playing in fell. If you like tram more than Fell DF is not the game for you.

Its hard, Its very hard, but once you get used to the idea that its not youre loot unless its in the bank, then and only then will you start to like DF. Once you get youre head around the idea of, once you take stuff from the bank its as good s gone, its not a matter of if you lose it, its just a matter of when you lose it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that sure sounds so fun (not at all fun in the least)

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that sure sounds so fun (not at all fun in the least)
Are you being sarcastic?

Some would say I am sarcastic, at times.

I thought about a DF subscription.

Then I thought "Naw...why bother?"

And that was that.

Why bother the 8 folks playing the game?

:wall:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall is a pile of crap only rivaled by Kingdom Reborn, and likely to be overshadowed by Stygian Abyss.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
after reading this i realized that i havent even tried or bought any MMO besides UO since it came out. i diddnt even go for ever quest when that was cool. weird.

C

Clair

I understand trying other games. I tried Star Wars Galaxies when it came out. It was horrible. After that I did the closed and open betas for City of Heroes. It was fun, but after the beta I didn’t feel like playing. I opened a live account for a few months, but quickly shut it down. Compared to UO, it was shallow. I stopped playing MMOs for a few years. Then, my wife wanted to come home. We started playing UO again. UO still has what I want in a game. I love the “UO look.” It makes me happy when I log in. The real key to what makes UO for me is depth. There is so much to do in UO and so much I haven’t done. I love my guild and all the familiar faces. UO is where I want to be.

Darkfall sounds cool. It looks lovely. I started playing UO in late ’98, and I remember the moments when it felt so real. I remember working up skills in the Moonglow Graveyard, looking over my shoulder for the real danger of some player killer. Those are some of my favorite UO memories. The problem is the idiot who kills you then acts out urinating on your body or worse. This idiot gets off on inflicting emotional harm on other players. Their goal is to make life as miserable as possible for others. These people are the reason Trammel exists. As for me, I have no interest in killing other players, so non-consensual PvP brings more negatives to my game than positives. Darkfall has no attraction to me because I wouldn’t go back to the way UO was before trammel, and that seems to be one of the selling points of the game.

Demon, I hope you guys are having fun. You are missed. If you get the urge, I think UO will be here for you. Try not to be a stranger.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall is rapidly losing players and hasn't even managed to fill up one server yet. Also if you consider the best part to be "if you are killed, you lose everything on you", that is pretty messed up. Usually you say the gameplay or the PVP is the best part.
a clear trammy, play uo when felucca only existed (which i myself did not) and then you'll appreciate it, its such a good feeling looting everything off a person when they die, and its a risk yourself carrything things

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you being sarcastic?

Some would say I am sarcastic, at times.

I thought about a DF subscription.

Then I thought "Naw...why bother?"

And that was that.

Why bother the 8 folks playing the game?

:wall:
hundreds of thousands of people play darkfall, hence why the game was sold out in less than an hour each time it went for sale for 2 months, uo has less than 50k players

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahhhhhh if only uo never created tram :/ whata shame

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a clear trammy, play uo when felucca only existed (which i myself did not) and then you'll appreciate it
Um... You never played pre-Ren so how the hell would you know, n00b?

And Trammel is what kept UO from dying. Accept it, move on, goodbye.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would know because i had pvped for years and enjoy being in fell, hence why i like darkfall, trammel didn't keep uo from dying, do u have any idea how many people played from like 97-99 and then quit cause of tram? thousands, aos made it even worse and things like samurai empire added on to it.... how samurais and ninjas fit into a medieval game is beyond me

G

Grumm

The only people that quit because of the introduction of Trammel were the gank squads that preyed on defenseless crafters. The amount of people that would have quit without the introduction of Trammel would have spelled the end of this game.

Which Facet has the biggest population?

Make no mistake. Darkfall will indeed struggle to survive. If anything remains constant, it's the majority of players distaste of only one playstyle.

Darkfall is nothing more than a niche game catering to only one playstyle. Sounds like a company that doesn't want to fully tap into the MMO players pool. After all these years and online games to learn from, the DF developers fail to grasp the overwhelming preference of consentual PvP.

Enjoy it while you can.

F

Foolio the Bard

Heads up, people!

The Darkfall North American server opens July 7th!

T

Tazar

Honestly, I can't believe how well Darkfall is doing...

I know many, many people who signed up for it... and most all were trying to sell their accounts within 2 weeks of opening it - even the hard core, old style UO pvp'ers...

F

Facehugga

I played DFo on release.

Well the idea is pretty nice, but the problem is:
Only large groups/guilds will survive and have "fun" (if this can be called fun).

20 Peoples whacking on the same goblin is really funny you know!
Also the economy doesent seems to grow fine. For a player runned economy there is a need of Gold for players, where no Gold can be get there wont be an economy too.

I stopped playing where the whole game was turning into a gankingparty - since then i didnt ever thought to return to it. Rather i play another 10 years crapy graphics and have fun in uo

C

changoff12

I have been hearing about darkfall for two years now, constant disappointments about release dates and betas. the forum is filled with people who are eagerly waiting to play, and they already have their guilds ready. most people on the forums are former UO players.

the game definitely has its cool features, but is more a rip off of UO, like most games.

I would try it out for sure, but cannot say I would do more than check it out.

I got a beta invite but let it pass a while back, there was too much crap involved.

T

TheGrayGhost

Was in the Beta, Played at release, left a month or so after. The game had good ideas but a bad follow through. It isn't UO:2 as many (Including myself) hoped it would be. The PvP was fun for awhile but that fun quickly died after it was buried under mounds and mounds of tedium. If your into more of a large arena free for all then DFO may be for you as long as you can stand the grind and the long travel times to find the PvP. If your looking for an MMORPG then no DFO is probably not for you. The RPG side of DFO seemed to have been left out. I wish I could explain better but while it had some nice combat and I did like a lot about the game it was just missing that something, I have no idea what it is thats missing or how to explain it but it just is no where to be found.

They tried and did an ok job so props to them, but it just isn't my cup of tea and it certainly isn't a UO:2 lol.