• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom "paintings".

G

I may be the only one who thinks so, but these "custom paintings" are becoming a problem.
The lag issues began with these experiments with bitmaps (notorious resource hogs).
But now, the 'experiment' has taken on a life of it's own - no more just a test to study the waters of custom content - they have become a cottage industry with dozens of stores and other lots loaded to the gills with this stuff (much of it copyrighted).
Take a good look at the images - do they look like paintings? Do they have the texturing and 3-D perspective of other paintings in the game?
No, they look like exactly what they are - flat, 2d bitmaps that look the same from any perspective.
Not to mention the space they take up on our computers. My userdata/custom_content_cache folder has over 2,000 objects at 94 mb.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

I have to agree. Whilst they have their uses, they are the root of the lag issues in my opinion. I did not have any lag in TC3 until they were released.

K

Keep It Real

Is there a know way to turn them off so our computers don't store these things? Any idea's?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Does it help at all to clear that cache folder?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dunno..... ok, I'm going in.... cover me.

G

If clearing the cache would solve the problem, maybe they could make it so the game auto clears each time we shut it down.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Does it help at all to clear that cache folder?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dunno..... ok, I'm going in.... cover me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - it just loads up again when you enter the various properties.

G

I entered 3 lots; My own, which has 1 picsickle, and 2 store lots.
My folder went from 0 files at 0 mb, to 288 files at 9.78 mb.

K

Keep It Real

Wonder if deleting the folder would help. I don't think it would bother me to not see others people's family pictures and such.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I entered 3 lots; My own, which has 1 picsickle, and 2 store lots.
My folder went from 0 files at 0 mb, to 288 files at 9.78 mb.

[/ QUOTE ]
The next 2 lots doubled the above.

The lag seems to get worse as I move around from place to place.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wonder if deleting the folder would help. I don't think it would bother me to not see others people's family pictures and such.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope - the game creates a new one.

However - the lag seems almost non-existant (while I am on my own lot).

G

just looked in mine, 3080 files in two folders and 117mb

did you clear it while in game?

G

<blockquote><hr>

just looked in mine, 3080 files in two folders and 117mb

did you clear it while in game?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I wasn't that brave.

G

ok, I cleared mine out, logged in, was able to send an IM without it freezing for the first time in days... but it didn't last long
As soon as I landed it was back to waiting a few seconds for what I typed to go.

The lag isn't as bad but it's still there some, still having mini freezes.

G

As I move around, I collect more CC files, and the lag increases.
When the folder is empty, and I am on my own lot, it is almost completely gone.
Right now, I am on a lot with tons of CC - It is only the second lot I have visited besides my own. Anyhow, I froze up for almost 45 seconds (i guess while the 68 files were DL into my folder, then the lag cleared up to almost normal.

G

I don't know why they insist on using .bmp files which are usually the largest i n size compared to other formats.

They should adapt to .jpg, .png, .gif and the file sizes can be greatly reduced and save alot of room/lag for everyone.

Not using any compression beyond just saving fles as certain extenion types below.

As an example a 100kb bmp file converted to .jpg is 37.0kb
A file converted to .png is 34.9kb
And finally a file converted to .gif is 40.kb

If I messed with compression I could have reduced further the file sizes, but also reducing the image quality. You have top exeriment with compression settings to get decenty compression while maintaining a good quality image.

How bout it Devs can we have some consideration on this?

G

Well DUH to me then for not trying. I just assumed it was .bmp only and we know what happens when we do that now don't we? LMAO

My cache has 3000 files and is over 120mb, but my lag isn't from that at all. Ever since the city merge my lag is upon logging in and entering into houses hanging at 16,35,50,66% and at times not ever getting to enter. This started with the merge not when custom content was enabled, at least for me.

M

Meggers

My cache has 3000 files and is over 120mb, but my lag isn't from that at all. Ever since the city merge my lag is upon logging in and entering into houses hanging at 16,35,50,66% and at times not ever getting to enter. This started with the merge not when custom content was enabled, at least for me.
--------------------------------------------

I know bupkus about what is causing the lag, but it has become unbearable. I have a fully upgraded puter with tons of memory and ram plus high speed internet and no matter where I go it's like swimming in molassas. The devs really need to work on this. If I go to a house that has more than 20 people in it half the time I lock up at 50% and get trapped in the house even tho I am still on the map page. So I can't play that sim until they close. A lot of folks are more worried about their hours than resetting to free your sim.

G

For me, the lag had started before the merge with TC. Emptying that cache file helped quite a bit. I went so far as creating a shortcut to that folder so I can empty it out when I log out of the game.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

If you think custom paintings were fun, wait till every house in town has CC chairs too. We seriously need a built in UI to empty our caches!

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you think custom paintings were fun, wait till every house in town has CC chairs too. We seriously need a built in UI to empty our caches!

[/ QUOTE ]
*Nods*

M

Meggers

For me, the lag had started before the merge with TC. Emptying that cache file helped quite a bit. I went so far as creating a shortcut to that folder so I can empty it out when I log out of the game.
-----------------------------------

Where is it, what's it called and how do I empty it?

G

here is the path to it on my computer:

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims Online\TSOClient\userdata\custom_content_cache\objects\test_center_3"

I delete everything in that folder.

I

imported_SimTripps

<blockquote><hr>

-----------------------------------

Where is it, what's it called and how do I empty it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meggers, I believe it's in TSOClient\userdata\custom_content_cache

M

Meggers

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims Online\TSOClient\userdata\custom_content_cache\objects\test_center_3"

----------------------------------------
Thanks hon

D

donnallg

After reading this, I checked my folder. I had 3681 files. That to me is just insane. I deleted then restarted the game. I landed at my house and had no lag whatsoever. I was happy. I went to my fathers lot and 2 other people landed. I checked the folder then had 44 objects. Then the lag started again.

I have played other games with custom content and we always had a way to turn it off and be able to see a default picture.

I'm hoping they eventually change to that. I want the lag to get better and I don't like having extra files on my computer. It was over 250 mb of stuff from CC.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same. Now everytime I exit the game I empty it.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you have EALand, then the path is "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\userdata\custom_content_cache\objects\test_center_3"

K

Keep It Real

Thanks, just deleted the 980 files in mine and created a shortcut to it so I can empty it all the time now. But....it didn't help with the lag anyway.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks, just deleted the 980 files in mine and created a shortcut to it so I can empty it all the time now. But....it didn't help with the lag anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only helpful when you first log-in. When you move around, you collect more files - plus, I think the cc chairs are having a global effect.

D

donnallg

I want to be able to empty the files while the game is running also. I think if I'm on a lot with no one there and with no CC I should be able to delete those files, not wait til after I log off.

What I really want is a way to turn it off and not have to worry about deleting any files. What I really want is to see a default picture, not all these self portraits of people.

But I'm just a pion, and not a mass, so what I really won't doesn't matter.