• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom Content...

G

...will not be approved this weekend. For the first time in months (yes, MONTHS!), I've decided to take an entire weekend off. You can still upload custom content, but it won't be looked at until next week.

Have a great weekend! See you next week!

G

Good for you! Enjoy your well-deserved break and try not to break too many laws in the process.

I

imported_rpsky3

have yourself a wonderful weekend! i am surprised you waited so long to take one! have fun and dont think twice of us.. ENJOY IT!!!

I

imported_Shirl1211

Enjoy your time off and for Pete's sake rest and have some fun !!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

...will not be approved this weekend. For the first time in months (yes, MONTHS!), I've decided to take an entire weekend off. You can still upload custom content, but it won't be looked at until next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a wonderful weekend!!

G

Have a wonderful weekend and thank you so much for the pics!!! Loved 'em!

I

imported_Cherri Bear

Have a beary good weekend Parizad!!!

Hugz, Cherri

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought EA had a policy about not taking time off? As long as you met the 82 hour minimum workweek, maybe they won't go too hard on you.

Have fun with thatever cc you enjoy on your own time

P

pfmonaco

Since the topic says CC, may I borrow this thread?

I've noticed some stores posting something to the effect of "The Resale Of CC purchased from this store is not allowed, please report all CC theft"

I can understand that you can't "rip" someone elses CC and upload/craft it as your own but not to re-sell?

That's just wishfull thinking on the seller right? I mean the game is based on economies and buy/sell interations.. If I buy CC from someone and later choose to sell it, then that's my choice. Correct? Of course seeing those signs makes me wanna rush those stores with my other sims, buying them out and reselling just outta spite. *evil grin*

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a nice weekend, and Enjoy it while it last. spend every last minute.

G

Well thats a good question actually.

If it still has their name on it as the creator its not stolen work. But lets say you want to sell it and they still have more of the item for sale on thier lot. If you re-sell it for more they lose profit, if you sell it for less you undercut them. I guess if you give them a chance to buy it back and they refuse then that would be different too. But I dont think they can stop you as long as the item still shows them as creator.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've noticed some stores posting something to the effect of "The Resale Of CC purchased from this store is not allowed, please report all CC theft"

I can understand that you can't "rip" someone elses CC and upload/craft it as your own but not to re-sell?

That's just wishfull thinking on the seller right? I mean the game is based on economies and buy/sell interations.. If I buy CC from someone and later choose to sell it, then that's my choice. Correct? Of course seeing those signs makes me wanna rush those stores with my other sims, buying them out and reselling just outta spite. *evil grin*

[/ QUOTE ]

That is when you will find yourself being booted, banned, and reported. Word travels fast.

It is one thing to buy something, decide you don't want it later, and try to resell it, as in one object, it is totally different to be going around grabbing up stuff to make your own shop with. I create custom content to sell myself. I do not create it for you to make a profit. I try to keep my prices low so people can afford it in this poor sim "economy" we've got going on. And I'll be damned if someone is going to make money off my work. It's bad enough there is so much content theft going on in game, uploads off sites, no credit to the creators let alone them even knowing it's going on --&gt;yet&lt;-- it's not funny. IF, and I see that as a very big IF, EA Land becomes actually any where near as popular as Second Life, those old creators just might come have a look and want to sell their own work. How would you feel if you got in game and discovered you can't sell something you made years ago because someone else is selling it already, who really has no right to?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That is when you will find yourself being booted, banned, and reported. Word travels fast.

It is one thing to buy something, decide you don't want it later, and try to resell it, as in one object, it is totally different to be going around grabbing up stuff to make your own shop with. I create custom content to sell myself. I do not create it for you to make a profit. I try to keep my prices low so people can afford it in this poor sim "economy" we've got going on. And I'll be damned if someone is going to make money off my work. It's bad enough there is so much content theft going on in game, uploads off sites, no credit to the creators let alone them even knowing it's going on --&gt;yet&lt;-- it's not funny. IF, and I see that as a very big IF, EA Land becomes actually any where near as popular as Second Life, those old creators just might come have a look and want to sell their own work. How would you feel if you got in game and discovered you can't sell something you made years ago because someone else is selling it already, who really has no right to?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but if you want to sell your things exclusively then you need to raise your prices. There is nothing wrong with someone buying all your stuff and reselling it for a higher price if they want to take the risk. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. The creator can order as many copies as they want and keep costs low.

There is nothing against the rules that forbid anyone from buying and reselling objects someone else uploaded in the game. If anything, you should be flattered that someone would even bother with it.

Your name as the uploader stays with the object. I would consider it just more advertising and a way to get your name out there.

G

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I have had many people ask if they could stock my objects in their shops, and I've told them no. At least they had the common courtesy to ask. I do not want to supply other stores with my stuff, and I think it would be wrong for them to buy to resell without permission.

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I have had many people ask if they could stock my objects in their shops, and I've told them no. At least they had the common courtesy to ask. I do not want to supply other stores with my stuff, and I think it would be wrong for them to buy to resell without permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think it would be nice to see stores with all different kinds of Custom Content. I wonder if they could make some sort of copy right for CC.

G

It is not like they are stealing the custom content, making illegal copies of it, and redistributing it. They are buying the custom content and reselling at a higher price. You are getting the SAME amount of money as if they got it from you. The only difference is a third person is making a little bit for reselling. To me, this seems like an ADVANTAGE for CC makers...

C

Cruz Cavera

Right but, I see it as this.. If you spend hours making a chair from scratch. Then you sell it, then a person comes along and buys them up, marks them up and sells them. It's kinds of like.. Stealing someones perfect Essay, erasing their name and putting yours on there and calling it your own.

G

Well, if you include in the description your name, they can't exactly erase it. The way I look at it is buying something on clearance and then reselling it on ebay for a higher price. The store made its money, thats all they care about. The person who sold it made a few bucks because they found a good deal.

C

Cruz Cavera

I agree with this too. I guess there is 2 different ways to look at this situation, lol.

G

If I wanted to do this to make other people a profit, I would. If it comes down to that is what I have to accept doing, then I don't think I'll be bothering to make anything anymore.

C

Cruz Cavera

Or, you could do special requests. I have actually tried to place a request with a few CC makers and they are busy. I think it would be a good turn out.

P

Paula777

If I wanted to do this to make other people a profit, I would. If it comes down to that is what I have to accept doing, then I don't think I'll be bothering to make anything anymore.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't about you doing it for other people to make a profit, it's about you doing it to be creative or to make a profit or whatever your goal is. Other people making a profit is just an outcome, and it is part of the economy. You have the cheaper prices, so people will still be coming to you. The "suppliers" will also be buying from you...so really you aren't losing anything at all. You're actually gaining free distribution...

Is it really that much of a problem if other people make a slight profit off of sitting at their store all day to sell a piece of your custom content (which they bought from you at full price)?

You aren't losing anything, so I really don't see the problem here...

I

imported_corpatortis

Hate to say this but if you put something for sale, people are allowed to resell it however they want to. lol.

You know this happens irl, right? Stores buy items straight from warehouses and jack up the cost for their own profit.

Your personal copyright or whatever you want to call it can't possibly be compromised because your name is forever on the CC.

You may as well ban all stores then bc EA worked hard to create the objects.. and then to give store owners a discount so they could resell for profit.

G

not when you have spent anything from 2 hours to a day or more making it and have the same profit margin as someone that comes in and by and reprices it which takes all of two mins, if they want custom content they should learn to make it, not make outta other people

G

That commemt sounds very much like a threat or did i misread

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

this one

G

<blockquote><hr>

not when you have spent anything from 2 hours to a day or more making it and have the same profit margin as someone that comes in and by and reprices it which takes all of two mins, if they want custom content they should learn to make it, not make outta other people

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully suggest that if you want absolute control over your CC, that you never sell it...loan it and take collateral....and chase down anyone that defaults.

Other wise, it is a free market....and if folks *are* buying your stuff and reselling for a profit, then you are either underpricing it or they have a much better sales technique.

You can't have it both ways...selling it *and* keeping control of it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You know this happens irl, right? Stores buy items straight from warehouses and jack up the cost for their own profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our shop is not a warehouse for other stores. That is where the difference is. Some people may want to supply any and all stores with their goods, and that should be their right. Not all of us choose to do that, and if we don't want to, we should not have to. If I wanted to create, but didn't want to have to deal with putting things in a store and setting them for sale myself, then I would go looking for stores to supply to. Instead, I chose to live in a store so that I can sell my own goods.

I think people should respect the wishes of content creators, and luckily, most have the decency to do just that.

G

Nothing wrong with our sales technic at all in fact we have regular customers, mainly ones that respect the time we spend making the cc, we are not top of the List but thats cos we dont put 10 to 20 afk visitors in our property and therefore do not show on map - The point is we are a shop not a warehouse, there is a difference and we are not about to charge high prices, we make so others can enjoy affordably, I personally buy cc from other stores to place in one of my other houses no way would i resell someones elses work, if i dont want it i sell back - my loss

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Our shop is not a warehouse for other stores. That is where the difference is. Some people may want to supply any and all stores with their goods, and that should be their right. Not all of us choose to do that, and if we don't want to, we should not have to. If I wanted to create, but didn't want to have to deal with putting things in a store and setting them for sale myself, then I would go looking for stores to supply to. Instead, I chose to live in a store so that I can sell my own goods.

I think people should respect the wishes of content creators, and luckily, most have the decency to do just that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand your feelings in this, but the fact is that when you buy something, you acquire control of it (just like the seller acquires control of the money received). Having control of it, it is your right to dispose of it if you choose.
Otherwise, we would not be able to re-sell (or even throw away) anything we have bought - a car, a house, a refrigerator, a newspaper, etc. (all of which are someone's creation).
This is true in manufacturing, art, music, etc.
The only caveat is the copyright - I can sell my copy of a music cd, but I can't copy it for distribution without permission.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I have no intention of running a store, nor do I have any intention of creating custom content in the near future, so I believe I am unbiased on this issue... Just a thought: What if, instead of struggling to police a free-market system within the game, which can only lead to a lot of hurt feelings and ultimate burnout, why not make the free-market system work for you?

I have seen your work all over EA-Land, and I have to say, you do a wonderful job in your creations! But why carry the burden of trying to maintain exclusivity of the sales of said objects? If so many stores are chomping at the bit to stock your stuff, why not change your business model to match? Instead of trying to be an exclusive store, why not be a wholesaler? That way, you get fair and just compensation for your work, the stores help you distribute your stuff far and wide, and you won't have to lose sleep at night and get stressed out trying to police the entire game population making sure nobody is trying to resell your work.

It just makes perfect sense.

P

pfmonaco

Wow.. responses from both sides of the fence, great dialog guys.

As long as EA supports the fact that as long as the creators name is on the CC then it's not theft, fair market rules.

Ban me if you like, now that we have 6 sims per account we all have "throw away" sims, so it's irrelevant.

So my strategy is if I can get it at a cost low enough to still re-sell for a profit, I will. But honestly, it's not so much CC that's the hot seller, it's those stores selling $300 Pizza tables and traditional craftings for less then the cost of crating it! Huge profits re-selling those!

Thanks for your input and a civil discussion.

M

master_of_none

<blockquote><hr>

Well thats a good question actually.

If it still has their name on it as the creator its not stolen work. But lets say you want to sell it and they still have more of the item for sale on thier lot. If you re-sell it for more they lose profit, if you sell it for less you undercut them. I guess if you give them a chance to buy it back and they refuse then that would be different too. But I dont think they can stop you as long as the item still shows them as creator.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found a handful of outright public stores that have bought up a handful of custom content items and priced them bit higher then the orginal seller. Those they hadn't gone window shopping first before deciding their purchase, have unknowingly supported those said stores by meeting their price. Partly I assume they are doing this, the store keepers, is so they can draw the customer in by stating custom content found on their lot in bio scribe. Personal view, I frown on this style of marketing, but it I believe is legal.
Flip side of the coin... we as sims can only have limited amount of objects per lot, per inventory. When the customs first came out, everyone went nuts! Buying new, and still... look on many lots, alot of great custom work out there, people buying laying out on their lots to view and enjoy, however, how much of the items theme together, or just laid out in a aray of everything? Believe going to come a time where people are going to want to organize their precious items. There is more everyday of new, things we want but no room to have! Solution, take our extra sim, have a home small store... and have a yard sale! For the prices on many things, especially the chairs and such that do cost quite abit, why should the buyer be totally out of pocket loss? If we need room to buy more, there should not be "rules" on unable to resale used items. We do all the time with catelog content, it will be the norm for custom content.

Parziad... hope you've enjoyed your weeked!!! Least you know with all this reading, you didn't come back to your virtual in bored mode.... grab your coffee and happy reading!

L

legscroft

TTL

The weekend is over &amp; I still have custom content that hasn't been approved.

Does anyone know if it's being approved today or is it still on hold?

I

imported_Spacey

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

The weekend is over &amp; I still have custom content that hasn't been approved.

Does anyone know if it's being approved today or is it still on hold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people probably submitted CC over the weekend, so I am sure she has quite a bit to go through. I have one to be approved too, but I don't expect it to be approved right away. It'll get done

L

legscroft

Yep, you're probably right.

I'm not in a big hurry, was just wondering.

Thanks for responding.

G

I'm still waiting on items since Friday. Uploaded one today in TC3 it got approved but everything done over weekend is still been waiting on approval.... anyone have any updates to this?