• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Current era tamer template?

I've just made a new account and am getting back into UO after being away forever. Anyone have some recommendations for an EZ moneymaker build as a tamer for the current era? I don't really want all of the extra nonsense involving necro, spellweaving, and such. I really just want to zerg content with pets, do some healing, maybe do a bit of cleanup once my pets do most of the work. I'm not sure that this sort of build is even viable anymore. Thoughts?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you want the best/easiest template to rip through pets you are going to have to rethink the "extra nonsense involving necro, spellweaving" stuff. I have tried about every tamer under the sun except the disco/tamer and imho the Mage/SW/Tamer is the most effective and easiest to play. Solo'ing things like Mel, Medusa, Dread Horn are easy, especially since the recent pet revamp.

I suppose I just don't want a high-maintenance build with dozens of spells to be using at any given time. One of the things that turned me off about changes to UO over the years is how complex it has become. If there's a small rotation of spells for both magery and spellweaving, then I might be open to it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There is really only one spellweaving spell used for your pet..

gift of renewal - gives the pet a couple minutes bump in hpr with very little cool down time between the time it stops until you can cast it on the pet again.

But Word Of Death alone is worth it to get in and get out fast. With a decent amount of sdi and a level 6 focus you can throw out 700+ damage to top end mobs from the time they are at about 40% health. Another spell "Attunement" gives you a nice little damage shield if you happen to be the target instead of your meat shield... and the main reason I carry it is "Gift of Life".. that is a self rez spell you can keep on yourself anytime you want. No more having to run and get rezed up to stay in the fight. For me it is a must when I am going hit the higher end "instanced" bosses solo because sometimes crap just goes wrong lol.. but especially for the returning player imho. Die and can't rez? Ya gotta walk out and scrap the fight totally.

A couple of other sw spells makes running a spawn a lot faster - Thunderstorm and Essence of Wind.. I like them both better than the mage standby of EQ. Those two spells and WOD can make the diff between hitting a spawn and getting out before the raid or not.

So magery would really be more of a supplementary thing then, yeah?

120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
100 Magery
100 Evaluate Intelligence
100 Meditation
100 Veterinary
100 Spellweaving

Would this be a solid build? Stat recommendations to focus on? Thank you.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Veterinary
100 Spellweaving

You would need 120 weaving for maximum effect, technically a little less than 120 but more than 115. I don't have eval on my mage-weaver-tamer.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Veterinary
100 Spellweaving

You'll want 120 weaver, and prolly need some skill gear or drop a few points off eval.

Pair this template with something like a fully trained up (5 slot) Disco/AI Cu and I think you would have a fairly formidable setup.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The only hole in what you have there is the Word of Death fizzles a heck of a lot at 100 SW so most run 120... bad part is there are no +SW Jewls etc. This is my exact build:

Natural -
natural.jpg

With items -
Sw Tamer.jpg

It is nothing to get 830+ points on a temp now with how jewls are...

When it comes to stats.. heavy mana (I carry 200 - wod burns it and if you do not have a lot of MR on your suit so does the new taming masteries if you use them), max lmc.. I barely have enough dex to stand up lol.. and around 110 hp's.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My tamer now is:

120 mage
120 eval
120 spellweaving
120 taming
120 animallore
120 med
And like 80+focus

It is running a max spell damage increase suit, and the Artie's and stuff that fall into place lend a lot of skill bonus for the focus, as well as Mana Regen, which is huge because you can cast and run consume damage on your pet at the same time. I haven't used it much yet but it seems effective. My biggest complaint is I always forget to get a weaving focus

If you want the best/easiest template to rip through pets you are going to have to rethink the "extra nonsense involving necro, spellweaving" stuff. I have tried about every tamer under the sun except the disco/tamer and imho the Mage/SW/Tamer is the most effective and easiest to play. Solo'ing things like Mel, Medusa, Dread Horn are easy, especially since the recent pet revamp.
Disco/Tamer is probably my favorite template to play. Debuffing resistances and skills makes short work of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Disco/Tamer is probably my favorite template to play. Debuffing resistances and skills makes short work of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disco and spellweaving are definitely my favorite two to add to a tamer, but they are hard to get (effectively) on the same character.

Spellweaving is definitely more productive on a tamer with a full SDI suit and disco on one of the newer pets is great because once the pet discos it's target it will focus its mana on other specials.

I think the weaver/tamer wearing 100+ SDI with a 5 slot disco pet (I like the Cu or Lesser Hiryu) is pretty darn powerful build now.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think the weaver/tamer wearing 100+ SDI with a 5 slot disco pet (I like the Cu or Lesser Hiryu) is pretty darn powerful build now.
I have always like the benefits of disco when other around have it.. but training peace and provo were enough for me, never wanted to hear that much music again in my UO Career lol. But a pet with disco hmmmm... yeah, that sounds like a plan. Now to go see if I can figure out how to squeeze Chiv/AI/Disco on a Cu.. probably a no go tho

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I love my peace/disco/tamer running peace songs.
She is very effective, but the suit for that is quite expensive to build.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have always like the benefits of disco when other around have it.. but training peace and provo were enough for me, never wanted to hear that much music again in my UO Career lol. But a pet with disco hmmmm... yeah, that sounds like a plan. Now to go see if I can figure out how to squeeze Chiv/AI/Disco on a Cu.. probably a no go tho
Chiv and Disco are magical abilities, so you can only have one of them, sadly.
Since I carry disco on my tamer, chiv is my pick.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what I have been doing on my max SDI spellweaving tamer. Run. Cu Sidhe with disco ai and conductive blast which halves the targets energy resist. So I can pretty much just ebolt the hell out of anything the switch to word of death

kazeandi

Adventurer
My current main tamer runs peace songs. Disco comes from the pet.

tame120/lore120/vet100/mage100/music120/peace120 rest meditation
you could have tame/lore at 110 and get some more medi if you need.

all you need for gear is lrc, lmc, manareg. cheap and effective.

All of this input is greatly appreciated. I think I can convince a buddy to return with me which will mean solo'ing won't be necessary. I'm just concerned that the expenses will be a bit much for a mage+sw build. I remember bard tamers used to be the premier build ages ago and were ridiculously simple so this is all new to me.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
I'm currently running two tamers. One is a disco/tamer but I run it with 120 med and no Vet:

120 Magery
120 Med
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Music
120 Disco

I use this template for farming non-peerless mobs. Although it easily can farm Navrey and below but takes longer. The reason I have med on it is because with med + my MR from my suit I can maintain constant Consume Damage allowing my pet to go into large lvl 6 and 7 treasure chest guardians packs, and not have an issue. I pair this tamer with my mystic/AI cu. This tamer is also my full luck suit tamer for artifact/item finding.

My other tamer is my Caster Tamer. :p I say Caster because I rotate skills with soul stones based on what I'm doing. General all purpose is:

Base skill setup:
120 Magery
120 Focus
120 Myst
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet

Swapped Skills:
120 Med
120 SW

I use this tamer for multiple purposes - he is my go to for taming new creatures. He's a gargoyle so the movement speed is awesome. For taming I use the base skill setup. I use this because Rune Colossus allows me to clear out tames if I want to cycle for colors. Swapping to Myst Mastery makes the RC pretty amazing imo. If I'm fighting peerless I'll swap out Focus and Myst for SW and Med. With the MR on this tamer, I am also able to keep consume damage up full time. Note that I swap focus when using mysticism because it acts as Eval Int.

If I had to recommend and all around good tamer template, where you can do everything - I'd say do SW Tamer or Disco Tamer. If you can drop a some cash into the shop and get a few soulstones, or pick them up from other players then you can always customize like I have.