• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Curious about Wigs

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have always wondered what a wig does for your char. Does it give you a random new hairstyle while you wear it? does anyone have any before/after pics they can post? i'd love to see what they look like while worn.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BUMMER!!!
thanks for answering though :)
it would be super cool if you could wear them.
i wonder why they made a wig you can't wear.

C

Chaosy

Probably because it's easier to go to the hairstylist and spend 10k gold.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but it would be cool if wigs allowed you to have crazy hairdo's not attainable by other means, like beehives and pompadours. i know, i know... no one had those styles in medieval times... but it'd be cool anyway. then people all decked out in their glacial clothes (gag) could have a beehive too :)

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasnt it the old disguise kit? cant think what the name of the one now is called, for thieves to change there char to someone else.

K

kray2s

there was a diguise kit that looked like a minature wooden head on a pedastool (cant think of a better way to describe the graphic) and it was imaginativly called a disguise kit:p

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YEah Krays2 thats the one :) didnt the wig use to be the old version? not 100% on this but remember hearing something way back.

S

Smokey of LS

i dont know for sure, but my guess is they were never meant to be gotten by anyone, so they were purely decorative, probably just picked up somewhere, like alot of other things such as wall blood tile, idol statue many things just deco never meant to be taken, but thats my guess

K

kray2s

i dont know for sure, but my guess is they were never meant to be gotten by anyone, so they were purely decorative, probably just picked up somewhere, like alot of other things such as wall blood tile, idol statue many things just deco never meant to be taken, but thats my guess
From what i have heard and i dont know if this is 100% true as i wasnt around in uo at the time. Apparently they were (the wigs i mean) little more than loot off orcs when that dungeon with the orc brutes 1st appeared. I guess they dont drop as loot anymore if this is true due to the value they sell at.

As i said before this is purly what i have heard and i not definate that it true. Maybe someone with more knowledge could fill us in?

TirNaNo'g

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what i have heard and i dont know if this is 100% true as i wasnt around in uo at the time. Apparently they were (the wigs i mean) little more than loot off orcs when that dungeon with the orc brutes 1st appeared. I guess they dont drop as loot anymore if this is true due to the value they sell at.

As i said before this is purly what i have heard and i not definate that it true. Maybe someone with more knowledge could fill us in?
I recall hearing that wigs were a drop on orcs too, but it was told to me long before that orc dungeon ever opened - more like during year 1 of UO. At the time they didn't seem worth keeping. It definitely wasn't during the time of the orc dungeon as I'm sure I'd have saved plenty from hunting there the day it opened. It's possible there were also server birth ones, but the question is - what shops would have had them? There were no hairstylists or ways to change your hair back then, so no need to decorate a shop with that theme. They would have been oddities out of mansions if anything.

The thief disguise kit is a wig stand, quite different from a wig, but the two might look good put together. Can't recall ever seeing an original wig stand server birth, which makes me favor the orc spawning origin for the large number of wigs that did exist as rares.

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't sit exactly right, but this is how I have displayed my wig for the last 7 plus years ;) From all I have heard, they were a server birth item. I got mine about 8 years ago when they were still pretty cheap.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wigs were not server births. In the first days of UO (I was there; I've played since beta) they appeared as monster loot--just like the furs. They were considered a nuisance and most folks dumped them.

K

kray2s

So the info i had about them spawning on orcs could be true! However it would appear not on the orc dungeon opening day that i was told. Hmmmmmm *thinks* who could tell us exactly when and where these did 1st appear? Meaning n what monster(s) where these looted from? Also, how come they are no longer loot? (not that i would want them to reappear lol - it would devalue mine:))

Sorry for all the questions i just like to know the history and stories etc behind items that i have in my collection and this thread seemed to contradict what i had been told and assumed was true so please bear with me on this one hahaha