• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] crystalline blackrock

• Thread starter Maximilliean
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes you can. I farm them from time to time to get dull copper ore in a less mind numbing way than mining. You also get gold gems and stuff to unravel or rarely something to imbue.
PS I forgot you also get that minor artifact drop rarely

M

Maximilliean

Yes you can. I farm them from time to time to get dull copper ore in a less mind numbing way than mining. You also get gold gems and stuff to unravel or rarely something to imbue.
PS I forgot you also get that minor artifact drop rarely
Thanks. How often do they drop as loot?

B

BIGJON

I was just down there this am. Granted I did not stay to long. I killed maybe 20 to 30 didn't get one piece of blackrock. Thats just my experience at it. My guess would be you will have to kill a ton.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks. How often do they drop as loot?
Ony one in about 8 or so on average. So if you are going just for that it may be boring. I go for the ore mostly the crystaline blackrock is a bonus as well as maps or other drops. If it's slow I may run around and kill all the other elementals nearby. I usually bring a small dull copper ore and change the larges into smalls and loot everything. I load up after a few of them and recall home to drop it off and then recall back during which time many new ones spawn. If you have a blue beetle it could keep you from having to recall for a while but I don't use one.

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did the shame way too, but found out the respawn of dull copper elementals in Yomutsu mines is faster....just in the entrance of the mines....lead away the earth elemental and the warrior then kill the dull copper one....it respawns almost immediately....drop rate of crystalline blackrock is the same as in shame just faster because you kill more elementals...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I usually go to level 2 in Shame to mine saltpeter, and any Crystalline Blackrock and DC ore I get off the eles is just a bonus.

For outright farming, the Yomotsu Mines are quicker, provided you aren't competing with someone also doing it, or training a GD on a shadow elemental (they get VERY upset if you kill their elemental).
But if you have a miner that is capable of killing elementals, SA mining areas with garg picks can be good (multiple sources of CB), or just going out for mining ore and/or saltpeter in Shame (especially level 2 where the neighboring spawn isn't as lethal) and just defending yourself as you mine, while also trying to get the other gems.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't know - but, then, someoone without SA can't use it or things crafted that use it as an ingredient.
I've not really got a character at the moment to test (I took mining off my non-SA account's BOD runner/crafter, to put on my T-hunter because the %$%#$%ing changes to the maps)

M

Maximilliean

I'm beginning to think I can't but I can use items that have been imbude.
I spent a totoal of about 6 hours in Shame and about 2 hours in the Fire Beetle Dungeon killing Dulls (the dull at the entrance area was alot better then Shame). Also me and my wife killing eles pulled up with gargoyle pick axes, burned through ten pickaxes, without getting any crystalline blackrock drops. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

M

Maltim

Did you learn how to mine gems from Mining for Quality Gems book? According to UOGuide you only need Mondain's Legacy registered to mine them, provided you used that book

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I belive UOGuide is wrong, and that you need SA to read that book.