• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Crystalline Blackrock Mining

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I have been trying to mine for Crystalline Blackrock in Ter Mur. I select the mountain spot I want to mine with a Gargoyle's Pickaxe, then double click a Prospectors Tools and select the same spot. I then select the Gargoyle's Pickaxe again and start mining. Out of 400 times using this method, I spawned 2 copper and 1 shadow elemental. All three spawned within the first 10 picks, then nothing after that. I have GM Mining and was wearing +5 Mining gloves.

Questions:

Is this a normal spawn rate, or did I do something wrong in the way I used the tools?

I couldn't hurt the shadow elemental with EV's or a Greater Dragon, but killed it in 3 hits with my warrior, Why?

I only got 1 Crystalline Blackrock while mining and it did not come from one of the elementals, Is this the average I should expect?

Thanks, Katrena

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds about right. Shadow eles are immune to pet and summon damage. As for getting blackrock of the eles, you're chance is highest with Valorite elementals and lowest with DC elementals.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for the number of elementals from the picks, you got hosed by the RNG.

Average is 2 eles per pick, though sometimes you can go 3 picks without getting one - or get a bunch from one pick.

My personal records are 5 eles in 9 pick swings (and I never stopped mining, and 3 of the 5 were dead by the time the vein ran out, from my autodefending with an ele slayer), and 11 elementals from just one pick.