• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Crystalline Blackrock in Abyss?

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone foiund Crytsalline Blackrock while mining in the Abyss - or is it only in Ter Mur above ground?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tested it out. I was able to dig up crystaline blackrock from mining in the Abyss.

Stayin Alive,

BG

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tested it out. I was able to dig up crystaline blackrock from mining in the Abyss.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Cool - thank you! I can widen my mining radius somewhat now. I was staying close to Warden house for fear of spawn, but now the reward is worth the risk:)

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool - thank you! I can widen my mining radius somewhat now. I was staying close to Warden house for fear of spawn, but now the reward is worth the risk:)
The area near the Tomb of Kings is fairly clear. If you have positive karma, you should be able to safely mine in the pixie spawn. I don't remeber the terrain around the Silver Sapling, but if you can reach the rocks, then that are is safe too.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was not able to mine around the silver sapling nor the pixie corridor. I was able to chop wood though.
I'm pretty disappointed with mining in the Abyss. There's barely any spots to mine. Can someone give me some clues as to where to take my lowly miner/smith?

Only reliable spot my miner can safely mine is around the bank and up top. I tried east bridge, but got ganked by those hiding creatures :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In Ter Mur, start at the rock wall at the east exit from the city ring wall (where you have a big structure to the north), follow it counter-clockwise south around past the steps to the waterfall - you'll be in guard zone most of it, and with nothing hostile. then, follow the river down towards the south bridge, looking for rock outcrops, then continue past (not across) the south bridge, over to the cliffs, and follow them up to the two building plots that are located up stairs on the mountain overhanging the water (I think a common name for them are "the condo spots"), and you can mine a little up there, and even keep going north from there, and not run into anything deadlier than a mongbat, or any eles you dig up. Eventually, as you get near the NPC housing built into the hillside, you'll have some (but not much) chance of running into hostiles (more than likely, leakers from up on the plateau above the Apts./steps that chased someone down)

O

Old Man of UO

I get quite a few crystalline blackrock from the rat spawn in the Abyss. How often do you find these while mining... wondering which is faster?

X

xStrikerx

I mined for about 1 hour and got only 1. Small sample size though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got at least 6 from about 1000 tool swings - but then, I was mining up garg pick ore elementals in ter mur in addition to getting them from the ground. They were about twice as common on the eles as they were from digging.

O

Old Man of UO

Okay... then if the CB is your only goal, killing spawn is better. I've got 16 in storage that I got just from the spawns. Of course, with mining you get ore and gems.

These ingredients from working spawns the past week or so:

Y

Yalp

sorry to jump in this late.... yes, I mine in the abyss all the time, i get alot of blackrock. I mine all quiet areas around the ratman spawn, the blue bridge, the pathways to the faery dragon spawn. I use garg axes, and have a second account fighter logged nearby, If i pop an ele I get to a safe spot, drink an invis pot, and get the fighter to do my dirty work.

Haven't tracked how many blackrock per swings, but it's considerably higher than doing cavern spawn, and there's the benefit of getting ingots.

G

gjohnson5

Cavern of the discarded works fine. I get plenty of crystalline blackrock from there. You don't have to mess with the Tinkerer's if you can't deal with the archery

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry to jump in this late.... yes, I mine in the abyss all the time, i get alot of blackrock. I mine all quiet areas around the ratman spawn, the blue bridge, the pathways to the faery dragon spawn. I use garg axes, and have a second account fighter logged nearby, If i pop an ele I get to a safe spot, drink an invis pot, and get the fighter to do my dirty work.

Haven't tracked how many blackrock per swings, but it's considerably higher than doing cavern spawn, and there's the benefit of getting ingots.
Good good ... finally a use for my "battle miner". :)

I have 120 parry 115 swords (need a PS here), 95.8 healing, 100 anatomy, 100 tactics and 79.5 Chivalry on my GM Miner. I love to dig eles with it. I have bought way over 100 garg pickies and thanks to this thread i know now, where to get even more blackrock.