• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #5: Essence of Purity, the Unicorn

E

Elyssar

(note: this would have been posted last night, but the Third Dawn client locked up my computer, losing everything I had written. Yes another reason for me to dislike it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

A mainstay in fantasy literature, from the days of the Canterbury Tales to modern day Mercedes Lackey and Piers Anthony, unicorns have only recently found their way into Ultima Online's Britannia, by way of Ilshenar. Unicorns spot in one location only, Spiritwood of Ilshenar, located between the Sacrifice and Spirituality shrine gates. They spawn two at a time in the company of grizzly bears, pixies, and normal horses.

In their early testing days, when viewed in the 2D client unicorns had this appearance:

But before they were released to production shards, unicorns changed hues, going from the silver grey to a milky white, like that of a white wyrm.

Unicorns are tameable and rideable only by females. They can be transferred or friended to males, but will never accept them as riders. When slain and a bladed item is used on its corpse, it produces no meat or hides. In addition, the corpse also reverts to the silver-grey appearance, not the icy white of the living beast. Their loot consists of 250-300 gold, low level scrolls, a potion, and a jewel. Unicorns have approximately 250-280 str and a mana pool of on average 200.

These creatures are not comparable to nightmares. They have half the hit points of a nightmare, deal less melee damage and lack firebreath. But research has proven they are highly trainable, capable of taking down such creatures as powerful wild white wyrms with veterinary. A unicorn can first be tamed at 95.1 taming, a second tame at 95.1, and a third and final tame at 99.9. (Confirmed by testing) These are one of the only creatures whose taming skill does not increase for the second tame, a possible glitch overlooked by OSI as no one has yet figured out a way to exploit it and turn it into a real threat.

Many bugs are also attributed to unicorns. If an etheral mount is used in the company of a nightmare, the etheral mount has the capability to go wild as if it were a real horse, and only a Gamemaster can fix it. Also, a unicorn rider often gets bucked off her mount if locking down or releasing items in a home. When adding a person to a party, a unicorn rider will often get the message "you are unable to dismount to that area" along with the party invitation message.

Unicorns are a good-aligned creature, and will attack anyone or anything with negative karma, including both players and monster pets with the exception of the ki-rin or other tame unicorns. Once tame, a unicorn acts much like a white wyrm, and only attacks when asked to or when it is being targetted. It will not attack negative karma just for being negative karma then, and even a lady with low karma may ride a tame unicorn.

Now its everyone else's turn to reflect on unicorns, tell tales of their unicorn friends, write haikus about them, or just add any info I neglected.

S

Spirit of Europa

hmm I prefer the original silver-grey colour. I hate that whitewash effect, it has no definition and reminds me of an optical cataract!

I find it strange that unicorns are weaker than nightmares and yet are comparable in terms of taming skill required (I personally can't be bothered with them for this reason). I did hear a rumour that OSI would definitely make unicorns, ki-rins and drakes easier to tame... can anyone confirm this?

S

Socko

personally i dislike wild unicorns mainly beause they try to kill me.
Theres only a few unicorns i like hehe there all tamed /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

Never send a unicorn against a white wyrm, do to some unfortunate circumstances this occured, and it was really hard to keep her alive. I had to use manda dumps along with bandaids.

They enjoy attacking ebil people with negitive karma dragons.
Don't take a dragon around them, they have the habbit of attacking them, and dying. You'll loose karma for some reason, just another nerf of tamers.

I got bored one time in uo3d one day, and decided to see if i could skin a unicorn for its horn. They give absolutely nothing. No hides, no meat, so if tailors come in saying there killing them for hides....

THEY LIE /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Fin~

<font color=red>Zeyke the Hermit</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Chesapeak Legend</font color=blue>
<font color=green> Baja Seer of Justice </font color=green>

<font color=blue>Ape </font color=blue> of <font color=red>God </font color=red>
<font color=purple>founder of OLA Ostard Liberation Army </font color=purple>

W

WolfZbane

Unicorns might not be as strong as a nightmare in melee, but the unicorns manadump is enormous! Combo's are frequently used, and quite advanced ones as well!
A great way to train them is by using water elementals or another tame unicorn: it will boost up their magic resist quite good.
A tame unicorn will not attack a tame dragon. At least not when you're in a guild and are owner of both the dragon and the unicorn.

Wolfsbane

G

They are very pretty - but I don't find them good companions for hunting, just yet.

I do enoy taming them - however. very peaceful and calm there.

M

Mordanna

<font color=green>i also preferred the silvery look unicorns had in the alpha testing stage over the "frosty" white, but what i was really hoping for was the gorgeous coloring of silver steeds applied to them *sigh*.

i love my unicorn and hunt with her frequently. when i started training her she was barely able to kill a lich without assistance, but now she is definitely superior to a drake in her abilities. while she will never be a match for a nightmare, i use her to hunt the same creatures: daemons, dragons, even white wyrms. the battles are challenging, but my veterinary abilities have never let me down, the fights just take a bit longer.

i like the well-behaved personality of an unicorn, which makes them a lot more fun to use where other players are present (e.g. the current orc spawns).

<center>

Mordanna of Pacific
<a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/strat/tamer.shtml>Stratics Tamer Essay</a>
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/prc.php>PRC Taming Website</a></center>

J

Jaiden

Ahh unicorns my definate favourite mount

I was so glad to see that OSI were going to put them in the game and i always remember my first tamed one Aspen.

I was about 94.9 when they first came out and i tamed like mad to get the required skill necessary and after multiple crashes in Ilshenar i was as happy as a dog with 2 tails when i finally got one.

My poor mare Angel hasnt seen the light of day since the unicorns came out and both my tamers ride them. When my poor Aspen died to lure griefers in Ice dungeon it was my saddest day and only when i found my new pet Isis was i able to feel better. But then she too was lost to me when the server warped and i logged on to find myself next to my wild WW Lynx who was tearing into poor Isis.

Hopefully its third time lucky with Diamond my latest friend :))

Charleigh, Mage/GM Tamer
Mica, Mage/Bard
Xanthia, Bard/Tamer
Darkchild, Bard/GM Archer
Jaiden, Mad axewoman
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Jaiden on 06/12/01 07:09 PM.</FONT></P>

L

Lemia

Prance graceful white one,
Atop fresh green blades of grass.
Show me thy magic!

Witness the miracle of birth as the young monkey hatches from its protective shell...

Lemia-GM Smith/Miner/Fisherman
Lemina-GM Warrior
Mia-GM Tailor/Master Scribe/Carpenter/Tinker/Mage
Nadia-GM Tamer/Master Mage
Ayla-GM Thief

G

Yes, I say that should be fixed. I want unicorn chops!

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you get booked on Oprah.
<font color=006400>Thaqui, Grandmaster Tamer of Catskills</font color=006400>
<font color=00008B>Dreafor, Lvl 4 Treasure Hunter and recovering alcoholic</font color=00008B> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif

G

I was hoping for a silver steed look myself -- only saw one once - absolutely gorgeous.

But I do like the icy white they are now. very pretty :)

much better than the kirrins - im sorry - but to me SO ugly.

D

Dominicus

im a male tamer so i cant ride a unicorn but ive found they make great dragonn fodder while im killing pixies. = P

SONOMA

G

Noble Unicorn
Why is it that you eat meat?
It messes your fur.

Tekelili

"Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with peanut sauce."

W

WolfZbane

You're sooooooooo right Tekelili! I thought unicorns would be friendly creatures, but in fact they are flesh eating monsters! Well, that ain't nice..

Wolfsbane

S

Spirit of Europa

Aye I think you should be able to saw their horns off.
Would make a cool necro reagent.

W

WolfZbane

Nah, a theurgist reagent it would be, not a necromancers reagent...

Wolfsbane

S

Spirit of Europa

Thank you for introducing me to a new word. I thought I was l33t for knowing what a thaumaturgist was... *grins*

But judging by the speedy incorporation of necromancy in the game, I think theurgy might be a bit too much to hope for! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

W

WolfZbane

*laughs* The difference is the essence:
- necromancy is 'evil' and deals with death and the dead.
- theurgy is considered 'good' and deals with friendly supernatural beings.

Yeah, it would be great if necromancy was finally placed in the game as well... Too bad that will never ever happen. Instead, we get 3d lands...

Wolfsbane

P

Puppy

I have some unanswerable questions about the unicorn:

Why do they eat meat?
Why did they look so nice in 2d on the test shards but now they look like someone erased a horse-shaped spot in your monitor?
Why can my male tamer own a unicorn but not tame one?
Why why why?

Because he can't tame them--the only tamable creature in UO that he can't tame--my tamer frankly hates unicorns. He kills them whenever he comes across them in Ilshenar, the ugly beasts, and he'd happily skin them and saw off their horns too if he could. Unicorns are just great big LIES--sure they look all pretty and girly, but they're only trying to get those females to come try and tame them so they can slay and eat the raw steaming corpse! Bleah! Meat-eating monsters!

Stupid lasers!

W

WolfZbane

*looks in a disturbed way at Puppy* Hey, I'm supposed to be the nutcase here!

Wolfsbane

G

perhaps once tame the unicorn throws off her persona as the ultra feminist and decides the best way to eat men is to let the enemy closer still...

W

WolfZbane

I don't want to hear the theory about the kirin... Honestly, I don't!

Wolfsbane

S

Sonoma Sam

unicorns white glow
"cataracts" say some
But "elmers glue" I

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Moonblood- Sonoma

F

Falcon225

Then what was that film where the devil needed all the unicorn horns? hmm

neway,, as soon as i got TD i went to testeuropa (where u had all ur chars and stuff as on reg shard!) started up a female tamer and got myself a uni,,
I hadnt heard nething about the str so i went to despise for some cyc`s wel 2 cyc`s and a titan decided to play with my uni and she KICKED ASS,, yup I think Uni`s are great hunters :}

So close no matter how far,, nothing else matters

D

Dk_Legion

they sound very weird in 3d thats all i know about them being a big strapping male

<font color=purple> One Day the nightmares shall come, they do for everyone, but on that day only the ones who have the purple will sleep safely </font color=purple>
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gif DO NOT UNDERSTIMATE THE POWER OF PURPLE /php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gif

K

Kylie Nightangel

glowing white monster
ripping through some girly flesh
no males will you have

all the unicorns I get cast magic reflect on me constantly for the first week, then mysteriously stop... Ryna rides one sometimes and usally neglects Ryne (mare) and Zandu (frenzied) more then she should...

G

<font color=000080> hehe
unis are so sweet and lovely. I just prefer my trusty old mare -- I am second owner - but I just cannot part with her for a self tame.

S

Spirit of Europa

Oh I know the one you mean... umm *thinks*... Legend!
That was a great film. A young Tom Cruise too, if I remember right.
I actually thought the devil was sexier though...

W

WolfZbane

*laughs* Makes sense: the devil tempts people. So he better looks tempting *grins*

Wolfsbane

G

After a recent post, I wonder if we'd be able to get Canned Unicorn in Natural Oils?

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you get booked on Oprah.
<font color=006400>Thaqui, Grandmaster Tamer of Catskills</font color=006400>
<font color=00008B>Dreafor, Lvl 4 Treasure Hunter and recovering alcoholic</font color=00008B> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif

W

WolfZbane

Uni's are love! And excellent fighters combined with a dragon against 4 scouts... The moment the scouts want to get away, Wolfy does his fireball and Cheriour a sweet combo. In other words: that scout won't be teleporting again!

Wolfsbane

T

Trompe L'Oeil

Well My Nasy which was a gift from Jaiden *smiles* is still alive and well doing.
I'm taking great care of her :)
She has been well trained and she now can get 2 cyclops on her own...
Against a titan, she needs some help, just to make sure a wrong FS wouldn't be casted at her.
But i luv her so much...
I bought a mare lately and have barely wandered with him :)
If i could tame them myself, I would simply spend my time doing so =)

soon... soon... :)

Nasy, who once again thanks Jaiden for the Precious Gift, I'll cherish it more than my life...
:)

T'O, The Holy Knight
Goth Thornsten, The Treasure Hunter,
ShriNeerune, The Archer/Fencer
Tristania, The Chef
Nasy, Nature's Daughter

P

PacificDamien

gack the devil was sexier in legend?! the devil was played by tim curry! aka the butler in clue, aka dr frankenfurter from rocky horror picture show.. hehe..

anyway, I read somewhere from fantasy books.. that only young, pure, virgin females can ever ride or touch a unicorn. that says something about those in UO who ride nightmares still ...::coughs::

anyway... now that I finally made a female tamer, I can say I still love kirins more... they hop like ferrets in UO3D!! it's so incredibly adorable!

I, as well thought that unicorns should look like silver steeds.... they have the new white wolves that look like silver wolves.. why not make the unicorns like silver steeds? eh well..

Damien- Suicidal *GM* tamer/warrior

W

WolfZbane

Old legends tell that the unicorn was the symbol of purity and hunted for it's legendary horn. In the Middle Ages people even traded in pieces of 'real' unicorn horn and were the unicorns hunted down.
People who hunted them used virgins as bait. Unicorns were supposed to be extremely agressive, but when they saw a young female virgin, they would automaticly calm down and sit next to the virgin.
Then, a hunter would kill it with arrows, or club the unicorn to death: it would never be agressive near virgins, so it wouldn't resist and allow itself to be butchered.
In that context, they seem to represent the savage nature, being controled by those who believed and feared God, and had His blessings.
Pretty much like the story of Daniel in the lion pit (c'mon people, don't say you don't read the Bible!), someone who was pure of heart could control the wild forces of nature.
The origin of the unicorn is Arabic, where a legendary Persian hero was the owner of one of the last unicorns. It would have died along with his master in an epic battle. Through the Crusades and the occupation of the Arabs of southern parts of Spain, the unicorn made it's way in European literature.
Funny thing is however that I once saw a picture of this Arabian Unicorn, but damn: it looked like a ki-rin! I've checked other pics, and they depict the unicorn like a kirin. It seems the Arabs copied their unicorn of the Chinese Ki-rin (silk trade route?), after which they were introduced in Europe where they took their common form of a horse with a horn on it's head.

Wolfsbane

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WolfZbane on 06/16/01 12:45 PM.</FONT></P>

G

Geo_Of_LS

*Applauds*
Thank you Mr.Not-Real Legendary Knowledge, hehe.
Seriously though, that was pretty neat.
Now just scrape up some info on the Ki-rin AND all those awesome Daemon names, you know them, El Chupacabra, Satanchia, Be'elzebub, etc.

Osi is to banning as Americans are to sueing.
People suck =[

G

The unicorn's magery is quite high as well.

Quite often you can walk them into Wind freshly tamed, like white wyrms.

J

Jaiden

*smiles*

I was more than happy to give Nasy to you as i knew you would take care of her and i am so glad you and Nasy are doing well .

I know we both love our unicorns and would die defending them to the end, and dont worry the time will soon come when you can tame one yourself :)

Charleigh, Mage/GM Tamer
Mica, Mage/Bard
Xanthia, Bard/Tamer
Darkchild, Bard/GM Archer
Jaiden, Mad axewoman

S

Shanira

<blockquote><hr>

write haikus about them

<hr></blockquote>If you insist! ^_^ two haiku's rolled into one (I'm sure this violates several rules for Japanese poetry but I'm a western girl ^_^)

With soft gentle steps
and mystical appearance
she approaches me

Not to harm or hurt
but to whisper in my mind
the pure need not fear

Shanira

Sage here I come!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Shanira on 06/16/01 10:32 PM.</FONT></P>

W

WolfZbane

*laughs* The deamon names are very easy:
El Chupacabra is a legendary monster from Puerto Ricco that sucks the blood out of goats. El Chupacabra means: "the goatsucker." UFO believers think it's an alien, others think it is a genetic monstrosity, created in a laboratorium that the States had on the island. Others claim it's a creature that already excisted in the time that the dino's walked the earth. Others claim it was created by a local mage. It's depicted as "winged, clawed, having red eyes and extremely agressive." Human corpses with the signs and bitemarks of El Chupacabra have been found.
Satanchia is a derived form of Satan, it's used in a grimoire if I'm correct. *checks his sources* The original name is Satanachia and is used in the Grand Grimoire, a book that describes various black arts and demons. In the infernal hierarchy, Satanachia is the Commander-in-Chief of the deamonic hordes.
Be'elzebub is a derived form of Beëlzebub; the deamon of the flies. In the books of Mathew 12:24 (Mattheus) and Marc 4:22 (Marcus) "Beëlzebul" is the leader of the hordes of demons. Originally his name is Baäl ze Bul, meaning "Lord of the House." It was a Deity worshipped by the Persians and a lot of other nations in the East. Baal ze Bul was the god of the dead and fertility, in other words: the Lord of the House = the Earth. The souls of the dead were said to leave their bodies in the form of flies.

And there are of course various others, but we'll wait for the "creature feature" that has Deamons as subject. *grins*
Decent info about the Kirin is written in the Hunter's Guide.

Wolfsbane<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WolfZbane on 06/17/01 04:52 AM.</FONT></P>

W

WolfZbane

Shan, great haiku! I like it! And it's always better to have to much, than too little, so 2 haiku's at once is always good! *grins*

Wolfsbane

E

Elyssar

Wait wait you're ruining it! Bah now my next Feature can't be on daemons. *pouts*

*points to title* UNICORNS. The daemons will have their day.

Ah well, just gives me more time to make a complete list of their name varieties used in UO...

No raw rib for you Wolf! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

W

WolfZbane

Ok, and I will give their mythological background. Oh, and Beëlzebubba is a creation of OSI *grins*

Wolfsbane

T

Trompe L'Oeil

*grins*
Indeed I'm taking great care of her...
Haven't had any problem so far and she can handle many deadly opponents.
I surely need to stay behind her to make sure nothing unexpected occurs, but I gladly do :)
She already saved my life more than once as well...
We are doing a great job together!!!

:)
Thanks again
*hugs*

Nasy

T'O, The Holy Knight
Goth Thornsten, The Treasure Hunter,
ShriNeerune, The Archer/Fencer
Tristania, The Chef
Nasy, Nature's Daughter

G

Hail thee unicorn. I tamed you the first time I laid my eyes on you. So beautiful and sp peaceful, walking amongst your friends in Ilshenar. You bent to my will and thou followed me. I mounted you and we rode against the winds to the heavenly gate...

Ya, I sure was breathtaken when I first had the ability to tame and mount one of these wonderful creatures. We had loads of fun about 4 days, killing jukas mostley and it helped me out a lot when I hunted for Ridgebacks in Ilshenar. He handled all the "reddies" that came along. Awww I sure loved him for that.

Today we went for some more Jukas and I had 2 unis along with me. Some .... went in there and came back with a golem. Im not very strong yet with magery only at 70 and no fighting skill, so I sent one of the unicorn against it. Hear my advice.. NEVER DO THAT! First, it refused, so I tried again. NEVER DO THAT EITHER! Want to know why?? Well.. You all here are pretty impressed with the powers it has... So was I.. Until it made me all OoOoOoO:ing in Wrong Dungeon.
He attacked me furiously. After a while, all ressed up again, I released him. He calmed down after a while and stopped attacking me so I tried to tame him again.
Sure.. He was tamed.. NOT! He refused to obey me. He wouldnt even follow me.
So, I said a hard farewell to him and walked away.

Now to the q... What the heck happened????????
Can someone please explain the mysteries of the unicorn to a
not so intelligent tamer /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif I might add, that it was not bonded.

Have loads of UO fun!
Mira

I

imported_lord richard

this probably won't be read, since it's at the bottom of four pages, but here goes anyway. I was doing my level one tmap clean up one time, when all the sudden a ogre lord, two dreads, and a fire ellie popped...oops, was an adeptly instead, well, I VETTED MY BUTT OFF, AND TOOK THE INITIAL SPAWN AND ALL THE SECONDARY WITH MY LITTLE UNI. I also have worked dragons with it, and done well. My first one to tame, was with a low karma condition, and the darn thing was attacking me as were the pixies...whoa, what a disaster that was. I like all my tamed creatures, some are a bit better than others, but the are all fun to play in the correct circumstances.

B

BlackPhoenix

Wow, now this is a dinosaur topic, 3 years old /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

So? They are still there aren´t they? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
/Mira

S

Shadow Weaver

It might have just been hungry. Many times if a pet is hungry they will ignore their masters until they are full.

G

Thank you for the tip, but this uni didnt just ignore my command.. It killed ME! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
OoOOooOooo....

/Miramis