• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #32: Hiryus of a different color

E

Elyssar

(Pardon my extended absence...shortly after the last CF my computer decided to sort of...not work anymore...so took some rather expensive repairs. Then real life got in the way...but to make a long story short, here's a new CF!)

In this Creature Feature we'll be examining the hiryu...both the lesser and the greater.

Hiryus are relatively new, rideable dragon-type creatures who remind me of a mix between archeopteryx and a Thanksgiving turkey with an attitude problem. The greater hiryus are relatively durable and can take quite a beating and come in various colors.

Lesser hiryus are also durable and colorful, but their lower hitpoints make them more difficult to use as tanks against extremely difficult foes. Both hiryus have low cold resistance which puts them at a disadavantage against melee cold monsters like white wyrms and lich lords.

I personally have enjoyed my greater hiryus and have had them tank everything from Dark Fathers, killing shadow knights solo (though my mare can also do that), to tanking against a paragon balron. (I don't have any lesser hiryus so can't post on their abilities, but hopefully others can!)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lesser Hiryus:

In my experience, having one of these tank a Para Blood Elem is like sending a WW to fight a Para Dragon, AW, or Para AW. It's NOT a good idea.

P

psions55

I strongly Disagree with that, I have one, and I am a Tamer. I can't have a Standard Hiryu Yet as I have not enough skill, to say they were designed for samurais is partly true, but I have a 4xGM Lesser, and they can kick some severe ass, Mine will solo a dragon with little healing. So If you don't have quite enough skill to have a Hiryu, Give a lesser a Try and train it up, It's definatley better than a drake+Rideable which leaves you with a fantastic mid-level pet.

Atheryn

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But according to Stratics, Hiryu's and Lesser Hiryu's both require the same level of taming skill - 98.7 taming required. If you can tame a Lesser Hiryu, you can tame a Greater one. The only difference is the risk involved.

Cheers,
Atheryn.

B

BlackPhoenix

Yup, Greater and Lessers both require the same amount of skill to tame and own, hence i would rather go with a greater /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

T

TangboytheMage

I am not very experienced with they Hiryu because i think it looks freaking hilarious. it looks like a hunched back turkey, look at it.. it just looks funny! anyway i must be prejudiced to my mare and WW. but they are fun to kill in the Tokano champ spawn, lots of fame and gold /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

I hate these things with a passion.
We have been asking for a rideable dragon for years and we didn't get one, then they give us this rideable chicken-dragon, which is small (obviously to keep the non-tamers happy because they won't have to complain about not being able to see anything) and really really ugly.
And to add insult to injury, they are tougher than dragons...even the lessers. A friend told me on icq that he was in Destard killing dragons with his new Hiryu, then i met him later to do a Tmap...lvl4 i think. He just wanted to dig up the map he got and i was there to help him with the spawn if he needed me, which he didn't. It wasn't until the chest was nearly empty that i realised he was using a lesser hiryu!
And this is a non-tamer pet?!

I will kill every one of these stupid things that i see! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/mad.gif

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lmao,geez WolfWays your not irked or anything. Yeah they are ugly, but the colors make up for it. I tried to just use hiryus, but I couldn't do it. I just collect them. I still use my trusted white wyrm and mare. I've tried to put one of my tamed Greater Hiryus up against a wild one, and I couldn't keep it healed. Guess I haven't trained it enough. Me vet is 110, and i used greater heals in between. It just doesn't seem to hold up to my WW/Mare combo. I am going to try to train one up really good to see what kind of results i can get then.

G

Irked? Me? Nah...
Btw, i play in 3d so they are all the same colour to me...especially when their dead rotting corpses are lying before my triumphant white wyrm /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

G

gourami

lol.. I have to say I almost agree with you Wolfways.

I use 2d so it comes in colours - from peacing for other tamers I've actually acquired a cobalt blue greater with pretty nice resists - buut... I just can't take something that looks like a deformed turkey seriously, specially when it's supposed to be a dragon -.- I was soooo disappointed when I saw the Hiryu art.

I'd use it in preference to my ww/mare for camping in Doom, that's about it.

G

Just kill it, you'll feel much better....honest /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

T

TangboytheMage

yes... i have to agree with using it in doom only. because its as tough as a dragon and u can log out on it. so have an ethy (just 12 more days and i can finally ride one!) and use your hiryu as tank! anyway thats the only thing their good for besides WW food! Wolfways you are very wise and i agree whole-heartadly!

W

Wizard of ATL

Ah! I finally understand why I haven't seen any colored Hiryus. I play in 3D!!! I will have to try to log in in 2D and maybe my Hiryu is of a color that I am looking for! Thanks for the clarification.

H

hiai

Okay, granted they are ugly....but still, they are very useful. And I think of mine as a WWI biplane. Cuz just run it back and forth...tell me it doesn't look like a biplane taxiing down the runway! lol

Besides, they make excellent tanks. If they took 3 slot instead of 4 I would love em to death, but as is, I still get good use out of mine. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

B

Britney

Remember when people were disappointed with the ki-rin and then the swamp dragon. *sigh*

E

Entomologist

I will say I LOVE My hiryus.. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo so so so so much.. that I've actually been using them instead of ki-rin! (what me without a ki-rin?? weirddddd).

I can solo ancient wyrms with a hiryu and bandages... and nothing else. no gates out, no magic (what can a warrior do with magery anyway?) .. just good ole vetting.

I did come face to face with a paragon skeleton dragon. that killed him right fast it did.. hehe

G

Personally, I love my hiryu, Noroi. It's been a long time since I've hunted so much with my pets. I rarely hunt for more than half an hour, but with this hiryu, I hunted for one to three hours. He also helped me get my first minor artifact (yeah I know, it's about time /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif). /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

I don't mind my hiryu having no magery. His ability to stand up against a couple of dragons makes me impressed. And the time we spent together... well, we're pretty good partners! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

After spending some time with a certain tameable and getting to know them better, I always find they're great companions. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

I

imported_Pinky

LOL The swamp dragon has got to be the funniest mount in the game in my opinion. They are just hunchback dragons who never sat up straight in dragon training class so now they walk along side Hotdogs tripping over people when they turn.

I'm not suprised anyone playing in 3d would say Hyrus are ugly. Their colors don't even show and in my opinion the 3d client is more then terrible though that's another subject entirely. In 2d the regulars are ugly yes. I rather ride a normal trained stat/skill color of my chossing then a reg with high stats & wrestling. I remember I was hunting minding my own buisness and some guy with a reg Hyru out of nowhere tells me, "Your Hyru Sux". I said well I know his default stats are normall but he is fully trained & a very nice blue, I have one much better in the stable such as yours with no color but he is ugly and I ride in style, I kill in style, I make it look good if I can. Now I have a pink/purple one and she is beautiful I love her and I always feed her right! I just recently tamed another one I found by being at the right place at the right time but I ended up giving it away to a friend for helpin me out once. She wanted one as bad as I did so I was happy to help.

The Hyru is my favorite pet but because they are only light melle hitters I don't use them very much for hunting right now unless I need it to tank something. I've had fully trained ones tank paragons very well but they aren't hitting enough, fast enough. That's why I wish I could find one with the stats I want and the color I want but that would take forever.

B

BlackPhoenix

Hiryus are dragons, too many people have the Western Stereo type about how a dragon should look, while alot of Eastern variaties of dragons are like the Hiryu, which are not to be confused with Imperial and Royal Dragons which are considering the "traditional" Asian Dragon type.

K

Killah Kitty

hey i love swamp dragons. they are ALWAYS smiling. they NEVER STOP. i love it

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just kill it, you'll feel much better....honest

<hr></blockquote>

Killing hiryu doesnt really offer the right kind of excitement.. its sorta like killing ogre lords with a warrior in the old days.. its dangerous in a boring sorta way...

Exciting needs flashy flashy death.. i want to be afraid of fireballs and lightning, i want my corpse to be smoking remains.. i want to be poisoned paralyzed cursed paralyzed flamestriked paralyzed flamestriked bleed paralyzed dead.. i want my deaths to be memorable..

Hiryu doesnt do deaths you remember.. if they hit one of my tamers the tamer is dead in one hit.. wheres the joy? You'd have to be on the UO live team to enjoy that (*thinks generals and stuff*)

They make for ok pets.. they dont tear enemies apart the way rune beetles do, the fights last longer.. theres allmost time enough to notice there was a fight (with rune beetles its sorta debateable if they ever fight if they encounter something less than paragon bloods.. or maybe rune beetles)

G

Ah, the good old days...when a fight would last so long you could apply a bandage or two before it was over...
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

J

Johnny Phoenix

"Exciting needs flashy flashy death.. i want to be afraid of fireballs and lightning, i want my corpse to be smoking remains.. i want to be poisoned paralyzed cursed paralyzed flamestriked paralyzed flamestriked bleed paralyzed dead.. i want my deaths to be memorable.. "

Yeah, go sit in the Shadow Wyrm Lair, don't sneak out up top or to the Daemon area, just sit in the Lair. You'll love it!

J

Johnny Phoenix

As for the topic at hand, I don't like them at all. I dind't like the Rune beetles either at first, but I finally pulled out my Hiryu last night and he wouldn't listen to me at all. Killed Ogre Lords fast but would run into the corner and barely come when i told him too. 109.9/104.9 taming/lore and he wouldn't listen. Today, he got trounced by a Para Stone Harpy, then my a couple Generals, one at a time, Orge Lord G then a Cycoptic Warrior G. I then release it's ghost and put my 3xGM on auction, i don't want them clogging up my Stables.

B

BlackPhoenix

Ya need better skill and better skill in using tames, its real easy to keep a Hiryu alive against all of those /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

J

Johnny Phoenix

The Para Stony was after I was dead, so one on one he got whooped, vs the Ogre Lord General he wasn't moving the meter at all and then the OLG disappeared. I prefer magical things, but I still have one Hiryu left that was my first and i'll keep him around for S&amp;G.

S

SallyWard

<center>
I am willing to trade:
My "<font color=8B7500>Yellow</font color=8B7500>" Hiyru (non-lesser) FOR your Lesser "<font color=green>Poison</font color=green>" Hiyru
OR
My "<font color=8B7500>Yellow</font color=8B7500>" Hiyru (non-lesser) + up to 500k in UO Gold FOR your "<font color=green>Poison</font color=green>" Hiyru (non-lesser).

This is a screenshot of the "<font color=green>Poison</font color=green>" Hiryu that I want

This is a screenshot of the "<font color=8B7500>Yellow</font color=8B7500>" Hiryu that I have to offer

My character (Spirit) and this trade must be completed on Napa Valley. My offer for this "<font color=green>Poison</font color=green>" Hiyru will only rise!

Contact me:
AIM: Anatoniel
Or reply to this post.
</center>

P

Pix

Talking of colour ...

I have only seen (in the wild) the red striped/grey ones ... is there a trick/place for get the coloured ones from ?

P

Pix

I only have 2D installed .......

I see OTHER people riding these nice spiffy coloured 'Hooroos' and I want one.

I regularly go to the 2 spawn spots I have found and only ever see the drab red striped/grey ones ....

S

SallyWard

It doesn't work if you're playing on 3d, you can only see them on 2d.

P

Pix

I don't even have 3D installed on my PC I only play in 2D .....

So where are all these niffty coloured 'Hooroos' hiding ?

D

DanaRogar

If you are lucky, you will see a colored Hiryu upon arriving at the spawn location. Most likely you will see only red and grey ones. The trick is kill, kill, kill, and kill some more. When you are done killing all the Grey Hiryus, then kill all the grey ones which spawn after that. (Did I mention you have to keep killing all the Grey Hiryu's which spawn?) Finally, you will kill the last Grey Hiryu which spawned and a colored one will spawn. Tame it. If it's not the color you want, then start all over again.

H

Harm_Chessie

What serve is that "poison" on? Does anyone know the going spawn rate on those? I think they are a whole lot prettier than my bright blue.

I

imported_Kulgan

Pix said: "I was really scared that was the case.

Thanks for the info ....."

Yeah. I know a lot of people that just don't understand how rare the colored hiryu are. I mean, sure, you see a lot of people riding around on them at the banks and stuff...but you also see people running around decked out in half a dozen Doom artifacts, too, right?

As a legendary tamer, I get orders from people a lot that want specific colors and I have to break the news to them that it could be anywhere from a week to a month or more before I actually come across what they are looking for. I've even seen adds on Tradespot where someone wants not only a specific color, but very high end stats/skills. Yeah...good luck with that! You'll probably nab an Ornament of the Magician in the gauntlet before that happens.

And if you happen to be hunting for them during primetime hours...forget it. As soon as other people see a pretty colored one in the wild, you'll be fighting LOTS of other tamers trying to tame it at the same time as you. Then, there will be the usual squabbling, "I saw it first. ...No, I did! Quit trying to steal my tame you jerk." Blah, blah, blah.

You get the picture. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

B

BlackPhoenix

I love my gold Hiryu Kaiser:

689 STR
125 DEX
60 INt

535 HP
125 Stamina
60 Mana

70/87/25/41/44 resists

all skills at 100

Now try finding a colord Hiryu with better stats then those :)

I

IOSH Mayor

im looking for a tamer to tame me a Hiryu. =( unfortnityly I cannot, even more so that I do not have a Tamer.

G

blue are the most common, i'd say i get a blue 1/100...... the neon purple/pink and the poison one are the rarest, i'd say 1/5000

in one week of killing them for about 3 to 4 hours a night i got 7 blues of all shades, 2 gold ones (#3), a #4, and a #2

A

AtlMoonStar

#s 2, 3 and 7 have been most common for me this week.. in the past few days ive gotten atleast 2 of each

N

nukem

great oics matey.can anyone give a ruth selling prise on them and also what each pic colour is?

G

I can't take credit for creating the collage, I only edited it to include the numbers for easy reference, copied it to my webspace and stuck it on this thread.

The original was posted back in November by GvP

U

unicorndestiny

Is nice, though... I finally got a teal one. Traded a #5 for it...happily so too. Will be WONDERFUL once ML goes live and i can see the color in 3d.

H

Honkwomp

<blockquote><hr>

I only have 2D installed .......
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt;I see OTHER people riding these nice spiffy coloured 'Hooroos' and I want one.
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt;I regularly go to the 2 spawn spots I have found and only ever see the drab red striped/grey ones ....
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

By now you probably already know that colors only spawn after the "plain" ones have been killed off repeatedly But just in case :)