• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creative Much?

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'm at work, so of course I have plenty of time to sit here and think about video games (;)). Anyway since SotA is taking such a open source aproach to their game, which by the way I absolutely love, I thought it would be an awesome idea if WE here at Stratics came up with a group idea that was so well thought out, so refined, that the SotA crew simply had to add it in to the game. We would always be able to look back and say, " Yep, I helped design that. "

Anyway I will be thinking of some starting point for the remainder of the week, but feel free to jump in here, all it takes is one.

Last edited:

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Here are some options:
  • the miniscule (a single weapon, armor, or item we all agree we would like to see in game)
  • a PvE encounter (boss monster, resource area (farming materials), "spawn area", etc)
  • a PvP encounter (arena, mini-game, pvp zone, etc)
I have more detailed ideas on all these options here but I would like other people to chime in, it is always more fun to develop an idea with others than it is to sit and do it alone.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've got my Gypsy Wagon idea below... that's gonna be the main one I'm shooting for, but will chime in on others if desired.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Very well here is my first idea: PvP encounter: mini-game

The village of Dathanna which lies at the mouth of Karn River is world renowned for its production of berries and vibrant dyes. Twice a year, once just after planting, and once just after harvesting the citizens of this village hold a giant festival in order to celebrate their good fortune. People from all over the continent come to participate. The highlight of the festival (aside from the great food, and company) is the berry toss. Crates and crates of multi-colored sweet smelling berries are brought into the center of a large arena (specially constructed just for this festival) which has been covered in white canvas. Participants are separated into two teams and given a crate of berries to split among themselves (as ammunition). Once the elder makes a speech thanking everyone for coming to the festival, the arena erupts into pandemonium the teams duck for cover each lobbing, pitching and pelting the other team hoping to get the required 5 hits elimination. The game will continue until there is one team left standing which means with a little luck and dexterity one man can take two. Once a team has secured victory and all the festivities have died down the walls of this arena are taken down and hung up or sold as art, a "Dathanna Berry Painting" hangs in the halls of many lords of the realm.

In Depth:
  • Festival is held twice a year
  • Players are auto-sorted into two teams
  • Given ammunition (30 berries?) with the option of refilling at their teams' side
  • 5 hits per person to eliminate them
  • 10 players per team
  • Mini-game is only available as long as the festival is
  • Berry Paintings can be bought afterwards but are in limited supply (one per person, as available)
That's it for now. Feedback appreciated.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I heartily support this line of thought and will gladly highlight it to the team at SOTA :)

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Here is another idea.
PvE encounter: Boss Fight

(Though not as specific as my pvp mini-game idea, the idea I'm trying to get across here is not specifically the boss fight, just a way of turning boss fights into a puzzle (sort of) )

For simplicity's sake lets say the Adventurer is exploring an Ice Cavern. After performing whatever ritual it takes to fight the boss of this Ice Cavern, the Adventurer would then be given the option of fighting the boss, for the sake of argument lets say a gigantic ice golem. Provided they were able to clear the dungeon and puzzles the boss should present a signifigant challenge but in the end be defeatable. HOWEVER if they notice that there are hot springs in the boss' area, and they can get the boss to walk thru one or two, then the boss becomes easier and possibly has a diffrent loot table, maybe even a totally diffrent set of moves.

In Depth:
  • Less hack and slash, more thinking and observation
  • hack and slash does have its place too, but options are always nice
  • bosses should be killable either way