• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creating Communities

• Thread starter Major Miner II
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Major Miner II

So how do you feel about what TGN is doing to create community here at Stratics?

Thumbs up?

Thumbs down?

Indifferent?

I personally feel that they really aren't doing anything to create community here. They are more like riding on the coattails of someone else's effort and hoping someone comes up with a good idea to make them more cash.

Chasing away a good number of posters probably wasn't a good idea either.

Can anyone point to a good example of community building on Stratics in the last 4 months?

M

Major Miner II

Wow. Not even the staff can come up with something. lol

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Your trolling is weak. The community is sound. The TGN guys are learning from the UO community.

What is it you hope for? NHB to come back? Not going to happen. That bridge was burned.

I miss it too. I do not see it ever coming back. Not like you are familiar with. Racist attacks. That was the end.

This is a gaming forum.

M

Major Miner II

Your trolling is weak. The community is sound. The TGN guys are learning from the UO community.

What is it you hope for? NHB to come back? Not going to happen. That bridge was burned.

I miss it too. I do not see it ever coming back. Not like you are familiar with. Racist attacks. That was the end.

This is a gaming forum.
*chuckles*

Not at all. It seems to me TGN which, by their own admission, builds communities, has basically left Stratics alone.

They took over, what, 4 or 5 months ago?

I know you'd like to spin this out of existence, but it's a legit question.

What have they done to help build community here?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Quite a lot actually. I am not going to waste my time convincing you.

K

Kiminality

What Kelmo said, give or take.

Speaking for myself, I was ignoring your cries for attention.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Sorry Kimi... I just felt some pity and threw the starving troll a bone.

M

Major Miner II

What Kelmo said, give or take.

Speaking for myself, I was ignoring your cries for attention.
lol

Whatever. That's the defense of losers.

How hard would it be to list one. . .simple. . .thing?

I'm curious.

The fact that no actual posters are answering speaks volumes. The fact that staff can't answer means they higher-ups can't give them something to respond with. lol

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Seems you were right, Kimi. I should not have fed the troll..

M

Major Miner II

Seems you were right, Kimi. I should not have fed the troll..
*yawn*

It's funny actually. Everything you can't answer becomes a "troll"

How convenient.

How is this a troll? Just answer the question.

One. . .simple. . .thing.

Anyone???

M

Major Miner II

Okay. . .I found one thing they did.

They added a buttload of ads.

Not sure that really build's community, but it's something!

:D

See? I'm trying!

K

Kiminality

lol

I'm curious.

The fact that no actual posters are answering speaks volumes. The fact that staff can't answer means they higher-ups can't give them something to respond with. lol
Defense of losers?
Let's be honest, pretty much the only reason you post here is because you've got your panties in a bunch, and you're looking to stir **** up.
Then when things get "interesting", you go and post all about it on the other forum.

How are your posts trolling?
You're posting to stir up trouble.
That might have been fair game of NHB, but as I'm sure I don't need to point out, this isn't NHB.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yes. Well said Kimi. Ban his ass.

M

Major Miner II

lol

I'm curious.

Defense of losers?
Let's be honest, pretty much the only reason you post here is because you've got your panties in a bunch, and you're looking to stir **** up.
Then when things get "interesting", you go and post all about it on the other forum.

How are your posts trolling?
You're posting to stir up trouble.
That might have been fair game of NHB, but as I'm sure I don't need to point out, this isn't NHB.
Nah. When the mods get unreasonable I post about THAT? Can you tell me anything I've posted about in another forum that isn't directly related to the uneducated responses of the mods?

I can understand you're afraid to answer.

George may get pissed. lol

M

Major Miner II

Oh. And to be fair, it's not "forums," it's "forum"

You know, the place you chased all of the REAL OT posters off to?

Come on.

You can give me one. . .simple. . .thing.

Can't you?

Other than ads?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You have issues with UO Mods? See the RoC. There is an Email adress for that. You could just PM Petra. Tell her how you feel.

M

Major Miner II

You have issues with UO Mods? See the RoC. There is an Email adress for that. You could just PM Petra. Tell her how you feel.
I did. Still waiting for the mods to fix their last screw up.

Not holding my breath.

But I'll email her about your post if you like.

Now. . .back to the question.

Anything? One. . .single. . .thing?

K

Kiminality

Nah. When the mods get unreasonable I post about THAT? Can you tell me anything I've posted about in another forum that isn't directly related to the uneducated responses of the mods?

I would have no problem answering, if it weren't a colossal waste of my time.
I've seen your method of "debate" often enough to know that there's no way to dissuade you from your current line of reasoning. Especially since it's one you're taking to cause contention.

You clearly would rather a more hands-off approach from the mods, and more freedom of expression tolerated.
That may have been the case for for the original (and current) OT:NHB, but you wouldn't, and won't find such on the general forums.

Given the evidence, I'd actually suggest that the problem doesn't lie with the mods at all.
It lies with you being ill-adjusted to the general forums. In addition to your general attention-seeking behaviour, and eCrusade against TGN.

M

Major Miner II

I would have no problem answering, if it weren't a colossal waste of my time.
I've seen your method of "debate" often enough to know that there's no way to dissuade you from your current line of reasoning. Especially since it's one you're taking to cause contention.

You clearly would rather a more hands-off approach from the mods, and more freedom of expression tolerated.
That may have been the case for for the original (and current) OT:NHB, but you wouldn't, and won't find such on the general forums.

Given the evidence, I'd actually suggest that the problem doesn't lie with the mods at all.
It lies with you being ill-adjusted to the general forums. In addition to your general attention-seeking behaviour, and eCrusade against TGN.
Mods are suppose to help build the community. Check the handbook.

You guys don't do that.

That leaves TGN to do it all.

Anything other than massive, invasive ads.

M

Major Miner II

The REALLY funny thing is, you don't need to answer, although you should.

Anyone could answer. And they're not.

K

Kiminality

You guys don't do that.

Mods work with what they get.
We get you.

Since a community is a collection of interacting people, the moderators act as more of a normalising influence. The onus of maintaining community doesn't fall solely on the the moderators, it falls on the community members themselves.
Honestly, your posts are largely antagonistic and inciteful. So, perhaps you're right, that the mods aren't doing enough to build this community, by allowing such posts to remain.

Perhaps a form of forum martyrdom is what you're aiming for, in the first place.
That way you can go to the other forum and say "I got banned", and get more attention.

M

Major Miner II

You guys don't do that.

Mods work with what they get.
We get you.

Since a community is a collection of interacting people, the moderators act as more of a normalising influence. The onus of maintaining community doesn't fall solely on the the moderators, it falls on the community members themselves.
Honestly, your posts are largely antagonistic and inciteful. So, perhaps you're right, that the mods aren't doing enough to build this community, by allowing such posts to remain.

Perhaps a form of forum martyrdom is what you're aiming for, in the first place.
That way you can go to the other forum and say "I got banned", and get more attention.
You are really going out of your way to not answer a really simply question.

And I'm only one poster in a sea of posters. Don't be afraid. Just do your job and help create a community.

You can do it. I have faith in you. ;)

You want to demonize me? Be my guest. It's always easier than participating in a discussion.

K

Kiminality

I already explained why I wasn't going to answer your "One. Simple. Question."
But, let's go back on that, shall we?

There's an awful lot going on behind the scenes to improve the tools the staff have to work with, and the general progress that's happening there has improved morale of a lot of staffers, who are the backbones of communities.
Also, there was already community here.
If you add stuff to a community, it's still a community.

I don't need to demonise you - you do a good enough job of it under your own steam.

M

Major Miner II

I already explained why I wasn't going to answer your "One. Simple. Question."
But, let's go back on that, shall we?

There's an awful lot going on behind the scenes to improve the tools the staff have to work with, and the general progress that's happening there has improved morale of a lot of staffers, who are the backbones of communities.
Also, there was already community here.
If you add stuff to a community, it's still a community.

I don't need to demonise you - you do a good enough job of it under your own steam.
ROFL

Free Starbucks cards? A Santa Trollie for the holidays?

Okay. If you're the backbone of the community, what have YOU done to improve it.

You're not talking to someone who hasn't been a staffer before. I know what it's about.

You guys just suck at it. You take it for granted and just thing everyone is going to revere you because of your shield.

It doesn't work like that.

4 ****ing months!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously! You guys can't show ONE thing you've done publicly to help build community over 4 MONTHS except inundate us with ads?

REALLY?

lolol

You're trying your best to make this about me, when it's really about Stratics and their management.

Please. That's the oldest trick in the book. :p

S

SWATJester

Hi Major Miner II:

If you have a complaint about something the TGN team is doing, please contact [email protected] and we can address it. Otherwise, I'll ask you to stop badgering the mods about it. I'd also ask for them to go ahead and close this thread as nothing good can come from it, and the appropriate outlet is the address above.

Thanks!

M

Major Miner II

Hi Major Miner II:

If you have a complaint about something the TGN team is doing, please contact [email protected] and we can address it. Otherwise, I'll ask you to stop badgering the mods about it. I'd also ask for them to go ahead and close this thread as nothing good can come from it, and the appropriate outlet is the address above.

Thanks!
So a simple question goes unanswered?

So be it.

Fear is a sad, sad commentary on TGN.

M

Major Miner II

Hi Major Miner II:

Thanks!
BTW. . .did something in here violate the RoC and I missed it? Or are you just afraid of the question?

I guess locking treads is par for the course when you are confronted with things you just don't like???

T

Thorstein

Hi Major Miner II:

Thanks!
Would it do any good? The people who volunteered for the Off Topic community asked for just a couple things. Each and every request was ignored, or I should say momentarily patronized, by the TGN team. Hell, even the honorary title Mags gave me after years of service was censored. The only good thing that comes from MM emailing that address is one less bump to this thread.

You can call him a troll, but every damn gripe he has with Stratics is legitimate. You should realize, MM put his time in as staff here too. It's not just MM, a good percentage of the off topic people are, or were, staff at one point, and it was the one thing that kept them around. What's going to keep the volunteers around after they're burned out now?

Ah well, at least y'all have UO to keep bringing in the fresh blood.

Z

Zin

Yes. Well said Kimi. Ban his ass.
Come on now... Not how a shield should react. Keep it cool... Roll with it, or address it... Whatever. But don't do this kind of stuff in public. It's already been said... This isn't the other OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.