• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crafting with a runic, best type of bow to make and best wood to use?

M

mookin1

Is there a general best type of bow to make, and best wood material? Paticuarly when crafting with a heartwood runic.

I actually need a bow for my mana intensive pvm template with chivalry and bushido with no med but +10 mana regen from items. Bow needs high mana leech with no other leeches aswell as lots of damage increase and swing speed increase, hit chance increase and hit lower defense are good bonuses to have. If it has demon or undead slayer that's a huge bonus aswell.

So now consider what i'm looking for, what type of bow should I craft and which type of wood should I use to best achieve those results?

C

Connor_Graham

When I use a runic, I usually make heavy crossbows and use Ash wood for the chance at the 35-40 SSI that's possible.

G

I go with Conner on using Ash for the SSI, with a Heartwood Runic I'd definately stick to the bows I had 100% chance to make, and probably the 100% exceptional ones as well. I'd hate to make a great bow with 0 DI, or even worse waste a charge and make zip. I'm not big on the heavy as I see that being a 1 shot pvp then swap weapon, I prefer the composite as its faster and has nice specials. If yer willing to risk it the magic shortbow is nice, even just the 10 ssi from ash is enough for speed, the specials aren't that great for pvm, but its machine gun speed at 10 step range can't be beat.

Rey~

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have made double slayers on test by making a slayer longbow exceptional with a runic. Can't bring myself to try it on a regular shard.

M

mookin1

I didn't think you could make exceptional slayer longbows? Looking at the menu exceptional isn't a possibility.

M

mookin1

Connor, is heavy crossbow with a runic really the wisest choice? With GM fletching and a decent talisman i'm getting 89% success chance with 49% exceptional chance, meaning there's a good chance i'll miss the 40% damage increase from exceptional.

Wouldn't it be better to stick with a bow type that gives higher exceptional chance? Or am i missing something?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
heavy Cross bows work better with the leeches because of the larger damage they do so the faster the heavy you have potentialy more damager and more leech power than you will have. with the faster bows. I have a short bow with 40's in leeches and 30 ssi but hardly notice the leeches when they hit compared to my heavy that only has a 20 somthing leeches and I notice every time it hits just wish it had better ssi
personaly though I dont like the specials on the heavy's i have no use for things like dismount

I

imported_GFY

How come no one is trying Yumis with 30-40 ssi and Life leech? They hit a ton and use arrows in stead of bolts. You do need ninja or bushido, but really how many archers don't use one or the other?

That being said my favorite bow is the composite. I like the specials and with 30 ssi and mana and life leech this bow type rocks.

Sorry one last question:

Why not use high end woods, yew or heartwood, for multiple mod bonuses in stead of just ash? If I'm not mistaked doesn't one of them include a ssi bonus?

M

mookin1

I'm talking about using heartwood runic fletching kits though, is that what you make with those? Heavy xbows? With only 49% chance for exceptional meaning you waste approximately half of your bows?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
personaly i do not if I want a good heavy i loot a decent one then enhance i think your chances of getting a good one seem alot better that way im with you i would use the runic on one that you have a high chance at exceptional there is nothing like wasting a charge on a runic

M

mookin1

Yeah and this is where i'm confused since conner said he makes heavy X bows but with the exceptional chance to low that seems like a waste when you could make something like a normal bow and you won't be wasting any.

So what should I go for then with a heartwood runic? Which bow?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Conner I think tends to like the heavies more but he knows way more about archery than I do if I were you I would pick the bow that has the specials you like the most. and just go for it
the bow the cross bow and the composite I believe will give you the best chances for exceptional with the bow being 100% the cross bow has 4.5sec swing delay though I believe good luck and post what you make Im currious

G

Yumi's are slow as heck even with 35 ssi, they're also pretty risky to make, even with a good tali theres a chance to not make anything, and I think 50% at best to get exceptional. I might make em with a yew, but no way I'd want to risk a heartwood charge on a Yumi. That said I do love the specials on the Yumi, I know velocity will hit with both arrows from the double shot special, dunno about other hit effects.

Rey~

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

yes yumies ar slow as heck but heavies are .5 seconds slower and the dismount special I have never used as I am always mounted for 1 and 2 I very rarely fight anything mounted so if I use a heavy I only get 1 special to use.
I do know you get a lot more effect from leeches with the harder hitting bows weather it is a crossbow or a bow the main reason I use bows is I have easy access to arrows from centaurs and nobody has been able to point out a good loot spot for bolts so you have to collect feathers and make them yourself or buy them at 15kto 18k per 1000 in 10 min I can have 1000 arrows for free plus the gold of about 300 per centaur and hides and magic items hmm which to choose lol anyway thats just my way of thinking

[/ QUOTE ]

i collect arrows and sell them to buy bolts.

like you say, spend 10 minutes to get 1000 arrows, some gold and some hides, take all those to the bank and sell them for 30k to buy 2000 bolts.

same time twice the reward.

G

Changelings carry both, you can stock up on both by wiping the vermin out. I generally hunt the centaurs for arrows, and harpies to get feathers for bolts. Swoops is good for feathers too, if someone is hunting em they almost never take the feathers

Rey~

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah and this is where i'm confused since conner said he makes heavy X bows but with the exceptional chance to low that seems like a waste when you could make something like a normal bow and you won't be wasting any.

So what should I go for then with a heartwood runic? Which bow?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're forgetting about the talismans that increase the chancs to craft the exceptional bows. I happen to have a pretty decent bowcrafting tali, which puts me up near 80% for exc chance, so don't miss many with the DI.

Just so you have something to compare, my Demon Slayer heavy has 7% mana leech. That's it, yet while fighting a DF, I'm at full mana almost the entire time, with the only time it drops more than 15 points is when I cast EoO, Divine Fury and Cons Wep consecutively. Even then, my mana is back to full in no time since I'm hitting from 130-267 damage. That's 5-9 mana being leeched from 7%.

Not too shabby.

M

mookin1

How can I get a good one? What is good anyway btw? Mine is pretty crap at only like 20% bonus and exceptional bonus, chance is still to worth risking it. Nobody selling them on my server and i can't seem to find better than 20/20.

C

Connor_Graham

The only ways to get decent ones are from the Bowyer quests, strongbox quests, or Peerless drops. There's a very slim chance of getting one from "small/large bag of treasure" quests, but the odds are low.