• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crafter's Template

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's dozens of threads of that type in this forum.

One thing to consider is that there are enough crafting and crafting support skills (those for this forum, and those found in other forums - Alchemy/Glassblowing, Cooking, Inscription) to more than fill TWO characters' skill slots - and that some of the skills are required in combination for some items. So few people will have similar arrangements of skills.

I have to run to the store. When I get back, I'll go through some common combinations.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
think I'll end op copying this reply later into the new FAQs.

Crafting Support Skills

Arms Lore - A must on any armor-producing and/or weapons-making crafter - Adds additional bonus points to the Exceptional Quality bonus that crafted items can get.
Mining - Required to dig ore, granite, gems, sand, and the special large gems used in crafting (some of these require reading special books, once you reach 100 skill, to unlock the functionality). Also required to recycle smith-created items to get their metal back (what metals can be recycled and the percentage of return (0.66% * Mining skill) is based on the mining skill, despite being a function of the blacksmith tools). Does not HAVE to be on your primary blacksnith, but not having on it means not being able to quickly recover items not fitting your needs.
Lumberjacking - Harvests wood, and now can finally make his own boards. No longer needs to be piggybacked on Carpentry or Bowcrafting unless you really feel like it. Best put on a PvM Axer, preferably one with Bushido skill.
Magery - not really a crafting skill, but required for some Carpentry items, and most crafters and resource gatherers will need a means of transport (to get supplies, claim and turn in BODs & quests, etc.), and being able to heal from blundering into a monster is a plus. Non-Carpenters may opt for Chivalry instead, especially is only a semi-crafter that has weapon combat skills.

Standard Crafting skills
(*can be raised to 120 cap with power scroll use)

* Blacksmithing - Making of metal weapons and armor. Requires Mining to recycle rejects. Has Runic Tools for creating magic items gotten through Bulk Order Deeds (that can also be used with the Imbuing/Reforging advanced crafting skill to Reforge normal iron metal gear into magical items).
Bowcrafting/Fletching - Making of Bows, crossbows, blowguns and ammunition. Has Runic Tools acquired through Quests in the Elven cities of Heartwood and Sanctuary. Can't harvest wood on their own, but can turn logs into boards with an axe, if they are able to craft with that wood type. Items cannot be recycled for materials.
Carpentry - Making of most wooden items not covered in Bowcrafting or Tinkering, including Wooden weapons, shields and Elven Wooden Armor. Has many crossover items that require both Carpentry AND one other skill to craft, for decorations, useful items ( musical instruments, fishing poles), and house add-ons that other crafters need to work (forges, ovens, looms, etc.) At 100 Skill, you can read a book on Stonecrafting, that allows you to craft stone decorations, stone weapons and stone armor (the latter two worn by gargoyles). As with Bowcrafting, Runics are available through Elven city quests.
* Tailoring - Making of clothes, as well as Cloth Gargoyle Armor, and leather armor for all 3 races. Like Blacksmithing, gets its Runic Tools through the Bulk Order Deed system. Unlike Blacksmith, is its own recycling skill, though the return is less (capped at 50%) and requires a pair of scissors.
Tinkering - Making useful metal and wood items of a small sort, ranging from Knife weapons, to crafting tools required for most other crafting skills to clocks & golems. This skill has NO RUNICS, but does have some recipes for magical items.

"Artistic" Crafting skills
These are the skills NOT covered in this forum, but can sometimes be found in templates with them.

Alchemy - the making of potions and poisons. At 100 skill, use of a special book opens up Glassblowing, which can make decorations and a few Gargoyle weapons out of sand.
Cooking - Creates food and drink, some of which may have magical properties if made from special stuff
Inscription - Creates spells, books, spellbooks, etc. Is best used on a dedicated mage type as a support skill, as it adds to the potency of many spells, and your ability to make Magery spellbooks with special properties has its chance for those properties based on your Magery skill level.

Advanced Crafting Skills

* Imbuing - Allows adding specific properties to existing magic items. Requires some base ingredients (residue, essence, relic fragments), gems, and (if imbuing near maximum strength, or a Boolean property (one that is either present, or not present)) other special ingredients. Uses a soulforge to add these properties.
  • Reforging - not a stand-alone skill, but an aspect of Imbuing that opens up at high level. Allows use of Runic Tools at a Soulforge to infuse a simple weapon or armor (made with base properties and base materials, with at most only exceptional/arms lore crafting bonuses) with a range of abilities much greater than normal runic crafting, but drawing multiple charges from the runic tool.

Common Templates:

Basic Crafter:
  • Arms Lore
  • Blacksmith
  • Tailor
  • Tinker
  • Bowcraft, Lumberjack or Mining (if the account has access to soulstones, will train up all 3, and swap between these skills as needed)
  • Carpenter
  • Leftover skill points in Magery; Can use magic items to get to 45 music if instruments need made.
  • Note: This template can use runics and craft basic gear, but depends on others for Leather to Tailor with.
Mage Crafter:
  • Alchemy
  • Carpentry
  • Cooking (or another casting skill, like Mysticism)
  • Imbuing
  • Tinkering
  • This Template can make all kinds of house bling, but can only make Spellbooks, potions, magical food, minor weapons and Gargoyle-only stuff with someone else gathering the resources (and those items won't have the Arms Lore bonus unless you soulstone a skill off and put arms lore on). Still, it's a good Merchant crafter template, and can even defend itself (or even go on the attack!) with summons. Used IN CONJUNCTION with a Basic Crafter, on the other hand, they can take the basic crafter's items and imbue them, or reforge them with the Runics the basic crafter has acquired from BODs. This is a good one for Gargoyles as they get NONE of the resource gathering benefits of Humans or Elves, only bonuses to Imbuing.

Dedicated Skill Crafter:
Choose ONE group from below
  • Tailor, Blacksmith & Mining
  • Carpentry, Bowcrafting & Lumberjacking
Then ADD
  • Imbuing
  • Arms Lore
  • Magery
  • Evaluate Intelligence or Tinkering with any leftover points.
  • Note: These Templates allow you to go straight from crafting the blank item, to reforging, or from Runic crafting to additional Imbuing. One is for Conventional armor and weaponry, the other for wood & stone items.

Gatherer/Crafter:
  • Mining or Lumberjacking
  • Bushido or Chivalry
  • Weapon Skill
  • Tactics (with Arms Lore on a soulstone for when you actually get around to crafting)
Then add one of the following groups
  1. Healing, Anatomy and 1 basic crafting skill, if a thrower, archer or two-handed weapon user
  2. 1 basic crafting skill and 200 real skill points split between (Parry, Healing & Anatomy), with those skills (And the 4 shared by all versions) augmented further by equipment with skill bonuses. Some of these templates can end up over 820 total skill points.
  3. A life Leech weapon, lots of HP Regen on the suit, Parry and 2 basic crafting skills (or 1 crafting skill and BOTH mining and lumberjacking)
Note: This can do some some serious damage to things that give leather, or to ore elementals that come from digging with gargoyle's pickaxes (a BOD reward as well as loot on random gargoyles), and all the skills except Smith can be used in the field AS YOU GATHER, so you can fill tailor BODs, make shovels and tools with tinker as you mine, or even train carpentry or bowcrafting between trees, so you don't have to haul all that wood around.

While there's 4 basic choices above, they actually work out to over a dozen variations that you can change even further.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My worker have as basic template :

magery 101
black 120
tailor 120
mining 100
tinker 100
imbuing 120
arms lore 100
------
720 (+15 +13 +13)

He has carpentry, lumber and fletching in SS. Also he uses +13 magery ring and bracelet and tokuno +15 magery spellbook and +5 mining gloves for the 105.

I hope this also help you.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My worker have as basic template :

magery 101
black 120
tailor 120
mining 100
tinker 100
imbuing 120
arms lore 100
------
720 (+15 +13 +13)

He has carpentry, lumber and fletching in SS. Also he uses +13 magery ring and bracelet and tokuno +15 magery spellbook and +5 mining gloves for the 105.

I hope this also help you.
Is getting to 100 imbuing bad?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
costly and monotonous, yes;
hard, no.

I think the total time it took me to go from 100 to 120 was less than 6 hours.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda bites, I'm no UO baller. I think the most I've ever had was 5 million gold. Maybe it's worth saving up for :)

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 2 crafters that share all the crafting skills (except poisoning, don't have a use for it and inscribe that I only use on my mage).
Basically one is my "main" crafter and has always on her 50 magic and50 music for special carpentry crafts.
She has tailor, smith, carpentry tinkering and usually mining.
The other one has alchemy, cooking, imbuing, bowcraft and usually lumberjacking.She also has fishing so she can get pearls and scales for imbuing, and the MIBS provide a nice amount of money also.

I don't use all the skill points so I'm able to easily exchange skills between them. Most of the time it's mining and lumberjacking that I'll swap around.
I specifically chose to have my main as human and my secondary as elf, it's very useful to gather ore and lumber : you want more special resources ? gather with the elf, otherwise the human will get more quantity but mostly of the basic materials and can also carry more.

The only drawback with this system is that neither is able to go into dangerous places alone as they are no fighters.
But they have high HP and an almost all 70 resists armor so they can take some hits without too many problems (low to mid level mobs of course).
It's specially when fishing that I have to be careful because of the sea serpents and water ellies, I just take along my tamer on my secondary account for protection, she sticks the pets on the mob and quickly invis my crafter then once the fight is over she also heals her if need be.

As for imbuing you can cheaply raise it to almost GM (probably to GM and maybe even higher but I'm not there yet so I don't know for sure it's possible).
The trick ? just unravel anything up to 70 or 75 then try to get bags fulls of items that will give you mostly enchanted essence and unravel as many as you can per day but not all in a row. Unravel one or two then wait 1 or 2 hours to unravel 2 more and so on.
After you hit the magical 90something that allows you to unravel relics, well same as before but with items that give relics. Shame is your friend for that, my tamer trains her pets there and gathers items for my crafter at the same time.
I'm 96 ish and can gain up to 2 skill points with just 4 bags of 60 items each.
I don't know if it's still possible to gain like that after GM but I sure will give it a try ! In the meantime I have plenty of imbuing basic materials and didn't use any for training.
I even crafted my own soulforge with the first relic fragment I was able to unravel. I immediately switched imbue on my main crafter that has the carpentry skill and managed to craft one on the first try .... and gained 0.1 imbuing by doing so :D

It's certainly way longer than a real training method but it's less boring and for a player without resources and money mostly the only way :p

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only drawback with this system is that neither is able to go into dangerous places alone as they are no fighters.
That's why I have one lumberjack/mining warrior/'gatherer' supporting my crafters... Unless you're really squeezed for character slots, "jacks of all trades" are just too cramped.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I also have 2 crafter based characters. One to make the stuff and the other to gather resources.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really didn't want two crafters but to do everything I would like to do I will not have a choice :)

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really didn't want two crafters but to do everything I would like to do I will not have a choice :)
Soulstones would let you swap the skills on and off one character. Allowing you to have one crafter, but have available all of the skills. You may find that you use some crafting skills more than the others. It may be easier to train the skills on two characters to start with though. There are only three crafting skill which have powerscrolls and they are easy/cheap to come by. The quest Knowledge of the Soulforge and a scrollbinder (easily made by a scribe) is a great way to get an Imbuing 120 Powerscroll. The Blacksmithing and Tailoring powerscrolls are not too bad to get through their respective BODs and bribery, though it may be quicker to buy them (they should be cheap).

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is going from 100 to 120 bad?
I am upto 109 Imbuing so far and have only used unraveling. With the new loot system at the revamped dungeons, it is much easier to get higher quality items to unravel at higher skill. I get my most optimal gains with Major Magic Item and Lesser Artifact quality items. With moderate luck, it is easy to fill a container up with those items and give them to my imbuer and unravel the container. You will get alot of imbuing ingredients and may even find a couple items worth keeping too.

Stayin Alive,

BG

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's why I have one lumberjack/mining warrior/'gatherer' supporting my crafters... Unless you're really squeezed for character slots, "jacks of all trades" are just too cramped.
I though about it but decided to try it as "pure" crafters.
Of course if I didn't have my second account with a decent tamer I probably wouldn't have done the same choice...
Well the tamer herself is pretty useless to be honest, can barely invis without frizzing, disco is barely 60 ... but she has very decent trained pets given by my primary tamer and they are the ones I count on to protect us both :p

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 3 Worker

First Gargoyle

1.) Blacksmithing 120
2.) Imbuing 120
3.) Tailoring 120
4.) Armslore 100
5.) Carpentry 100
6.) Tinkering 100
7.) Magery 60

AAArmor + Magery and +25 Str to 150 Str for carry 625 stones thats all white 100% LRC.

SeSecond Human Worker Male

1.) Armslore 100
2.) Bowcrafting 100
3.) Alchemy 100
4.) Lumberjack 100
5.) Inscription 100
6.) Magery 100
7.) Cooking 100
8.) Focus 20 / can be + 10 -20 on magery but over 15 is to expensive i think

SaSame Armor white +25 Str and 100% LRC.
An
AnAnd last an Fishing Miner white Hiding and SW who must can fight

1.) 120 Fishing Must Have
2.) 120 Spellweaving
3.) 115 Magery
4.) 100 Eval Int
5.) 80 Meditation
6.) 100 Mining
7.) 100 Hiding
AA
AnAnd yes 150 Str again but best armor of all white sdi, +magery for mage weapon ect :)