• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crafter Specific Pet.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So is there any chance that the dedicated crafter could get a specific pet?
I know we can use the Blue beetle but it's darned annoying when it keeps running 3 screens away to go kill a mongbat while your busy gathering ect....
Or is targeted by every mob with us not having any space to fit Vet and Lore into the already cramped Mule template to heal it and keep it alive.

What i'm asking for is something like the Terry Pratchett "Luggage".
A mobile chest that follows us about but wont go targeting mobs and wont be targeted by mobs.
You could use the "Chest of sending" graphic, just add feet and make it wobble when it moves.

Heck, I bet if you made that and put it in the "shop" it would sell a million times better than that Lasher thing....

Or make Tinker version of the blue beetle that we can atleast heal using Tinkering.

While i'm asking for things.....
Any chance we can get the Item count on Bod books lowered?
I now have 2 chars collecting 3 bods for 4 schools each and those although they only weigh 1 stone fill up your max container count quickly and without warning ;)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Beetle and a vollum. Beetle set to follow, vollum set to guard.

Also, a fully trained blue beetle is no slouch if it gets attacked.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An animated chest that hops around behind you could be fun. It could do double duty as the long-missed mimic from the oder Ultimas...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beetle and a vollum. Beetle set to follow, vollum set to guard.

Also, a fully trained blue beetle is no slouch if it gets attacked.
Yeah the problem is I set the beetle to "Follow" but it still decides to go hunting rats in far off lands, leaving me overloaded with logs while Ogres are drooling at me.....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly I have lumberjacking and mining stoned off. When I want to gather I just replace anatomy or resist with the required gathering skill on my sampire. Makes digging up orel elementals a lot of fun. The only drool from ogres that I ever see is whats oozing out after I clobber it senseless.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I understand your first trouble... I can give you the dev answer... "Its as intended"
See you ran into the age old problem many a past crafter faced.... way before the blue beetles... it was packies.... every single thing with a fang...claw.. or hankering to chew you and them up was and still is fair game.
Nothing has changed...well I have to point out a few things to be fair.
We have the bug that you can hop on at the first sign of a critter.
Second.. Bags of Sending...
Now that idea of a animated chest sounds cute....
But......
I can tell you from the past dealings the powers that be will not be in your favor.

Now... in regards to the Bulk Order Books..
I have in the last few years bugged the hadies out of Mesanna...

A few Facts:

A book holds 500 bods ... this only can be done if the character is completely devoid of all items in the pack, the clothes, and jewelry you have on. In other words you are nude.
the item count for 500 bods is 124. leaving you 1 item spot to remove a bod.

Storage.... a book can become quite full rather quickly.. now I do understand that the great powers think we should do them as fast as possible... one problem.
Large bods.
To fill these you need stock to do so... where does this stock come from?
Stored books.
Simple logic you would think.
I have come to think this aspect of crafting bulk orders has slipped their notice. The main reason many old crafters left the game for greener pastures was the lack of care for their plight. In both new content but also the storage concerns.
We have asked for stacking of items and have been getting many to be so. But the bod problem persists.
I have pointed out... IF the bulk order book was a single item count no matter how full, the issue of storage would be eliminated.
This would mean your crafter could have their work at hand in your pouch or in the home.
The house lockdown will benefit greatly too!!!!
A simple request I feel.....

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about a hireling named Nodwick who carries a big chest on his back

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only assume you are not using commands in the correct way. I do not have this problem. A pet told 'all follow me' will ignore attacks unless told to 'guard' or 'kill'. I have successfully lead not only my crafter's beetle in woodland but also my tamer's dragon through a dungeon in this way. If you have used it to attack something then tell it 'all stop' before the 'all follow me' command. Commanding it to follow then using the target cursor will not have the same effect.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Crazed Zealot
I still have a pack dragon, from the days when all animals had a pack. She can even be stabled with items in the pack.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The "Trick" to keeping your pet by your side and having it NOT go wandering off after every tiny thing that is near is to first tell the Packy to "ALL STOP" ..... then giving it the "All Follow Me" command.

If you don't tell it to stop first it will do whatever is in it's nature to do... which means if something attacks it.... then it will most surely attack back... and will continually try to play "the hero"... and die.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To add to the BoD books... Reducing the count would greatly reduce the vendor storage around the shards and possibly reduce some of the lag. Many vendors are set up just to hold BoD books. I have collected bods for years and just with tailor and smithy BoDs I have around 130 vendors set up to hold books. Now I am collecting cooking, alchemy, inscription, and tinkering bods as well. I collect with 15 different characters on most days. So I have had to set up even more vendors. Please fix this issue and reduce the books count to 1 item per full book - please..

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra and the others are quite right...
Use : "All Stop"
Then: "All Follow Me"
Should stop the wandering bug....

I do know that to change a item in UO you must have more then 1 player ask....... Might I suggest the next Meet & Greet this be brought up and all who want the change second it at their turn to ask Mesanna.
If you think 2 crafting skills bods were space eaters think of it this way.....we just got the bods we been asking for but the storage..... but the storage issue is not addressed.
Alchemy, Carpentry, Cooking, Fletching. Scribe, Tinker...... that's 6 more bod types to get... meaning you collect the 3 per....18 bods add in the usual smith and tailor 3 each too.
That's 24 bods per character. Now that on its own might not sound like a major big deal. This is what is gotten every 6 hours if a player is able. Now compound that by how many players are collecting on more then 1 crafter character. Mind you as I stated in the previous post a bod book holds 500 bods which equil's 124 lockdowns/item count.
That's a maxed out book in 20 trips ether by one or more characters.(this is before sorting the bods by type)
No big deal if you live in a castle....... the amount of vendors could keep you pretty much free of the down side but for the player who does not wish to open their castle to vendors or doesn't own a castle or keep with a ton of available vendor spots open....... yes by now your thinking LAG and yes that's part of this reason we need the books made as 1 item count no matter the number of bods in it. This should be the most compelling set of reasons to do it. Lag and Space.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They could make the books a "special book" available from the store, that way we win and so do they. ;)

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I wish rats wandering around outside a cave wall wouldn't turn hostile to me and my fire beetle inside the cave. That's what seems to rile up my beetle. Neither I nor the beetle can go kill the annoying rat, because there is a mountain between us and it. Stupid xray vision psycho rats.

I will try the All Stop thing, see if that keeps my beetle calmer.