• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cracked Article on UO Ecology

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Its an awesome video, and a neat thing they kinda built into ter mur with the void mobs.

They had originally planned dragons anf other mobs roaming the countryside looking for food and treasure and shelter.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good find. Thanks for sharing.

Bloodlust.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The whole thing kind of amazes me, honestly. The original devs have spoken about this many times, for many years. Each time expressing their ire at us for messing up their mechanic by, how dare we, playing the game they gave us. They were, or at least seemed, much more mad at us for this than they were at the rampant cheating, player-killing, and the like.

I guess that's why, however mad I might get at the current team, I'm always a little more muted than most other players. I can remember the foibles, and personality quirks, of dev teams long-since-passed.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pretty short article leading into the video most of us have probably already seen. I don't really care for Cracked. I think they are zerging content at this point and posting it everywhere they can.

I do love those Garriot interviews though. Some real life lessons and experience shared.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easiest way to get Devs mad... dont play their latest content. Or in this case, dont give it a chance to actually work by killing everything b4 it can start.

Most Devs get irked when players refuse to, or dont allow, the mechanics they spent weeks/months coding to function the way they want. Its a control issue imho ;)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. There was also the "limited animals" thing.
Circa early 2000, the forests were empty of animals. "Two thirds of the animals are in the stables!" said Runesabre.
That resulted in us getting limited stable slots, which was horrific. Grandmaster tamer got three slots. Non-tamers got two. I'm glad they eventually loosened up on that severe limitation.

2. Supposedly there were limited resources. When a character was created, a large but finite amount of resources were allowed. Sword breaks, mountains get more ore. ...
I never saw anything bad resulting from that, but supposedly "hoarders" made the design team abandon the resource cycling thing.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure they were suprised as heck that they programmed playable characters with weapon skills that after getting spawned with weapons use the weapons to attack things declared as targetable. Nice 5 year old story. But they either been dense af or telling a little story. Given how succesfull many of them have been, I doubt it's the former.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure they were suprised as heck that they programmed playable characters with weapon skills that after getting spawned with weapons use the weapons to attack things declared as targetable. Nice 5 year old story. But they either been dense af or telling a little story. Given how succesfull many of them have been, I doubt it's the former.
First thing I did was attack a cat, and was promptly killed.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First thing I did was attack a cat, and was promptly killed.
i had close to the same in occlo. i attacked a dog, then went to the bank and was attacked by other newbies. i was able to heal thru the attacks till i went blue, then had them guard wacked. good times