• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

CPU temperature increases dramatically upon game timeout

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes, i know the answer to my problem is... don't timeout. If someone could help me find another answer that would be fantastic.
I play classic client. I go afk alot and time out alot. Upon timeout i have notice my CPU temperature increase from upper 30Cs to uppers 60 degree C. This is a tad hot apparently. (Says my son) I started noticing this because my machine started crashing.

Anybody have suggestions to help a chronic "time outter" with her hot CPU?

thanks,
pandora

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would think your issue most likely lies deeper than UO and timing out. If your hovering at 60(c) at idle I would look at the voltage first and see what that is set at. It shouldn't be higher than 1.2-1.3 if your computer is not factory overclocked. You can find the voltages through your BIOS (on most machines) or there are a variety of free software's out there that can be downloaded. If everything looks good, than maybe dig in deeper and make sure your fans are all probably working and circulating air (no blockages) dust can play havoc on older machines that sit on the ground. If your tech savvy might be worth looking to see if the heatsink/fan is still looking good and the thermal compound/paste hasn't dried up and become useless.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The issue is when the 2D client is on the login screen it uses 100% of the CPU resources available to it. This has been an issue for the entire life of the client.
Yeah, I'll time out while babysitting sometimes, come back to puter and the cooling fans sound like helicopters landing...hasn't been fixed in 18 yrs, probably won't be fixed now. Recall to Luna to go afk...that'll help with the timing out

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, I'll time out while babysitting sometimes, come back to puter and the cooling fans sound like helicopters landing...hasn't been fixed in 18 yrs, probably won't be fixed now. Recall to Luna to go afk...that'll help with the timing out
funny how that works...if i'm alone in my house afk i will timeout. but if i'm in luna and there are other players roaming about on the screen i will stay logged in even if my char is idle.

there used to be a program i used to use for skill building (i think it was called easy macros or something like that) where you could program it to take certain actions based on the screen. a program like that would recognize the log in screen and X out the window. you'd need to make sure you fired it up after you were logged in or prior to going afk. (this program was a keyboard/mouse recorder and not affiliated with any of the illegal 3rd party programs.)

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, have always had the same problem. If i log out, but leave UO open at the login screen, a minute later the fan kicks into high gear.

A good program that ive used for ages is called UOLoop. It just mimics whichever button you choose it to hit, and however often. If you go afk for an extended time, just have a last object macrow, say on a stack of food, and you should be fine.

Or just head to luna hehe

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The issue is when the 2D client is on the login screen it uses 100% of the CPU resources available to it. This has been an issue for the entire life of the client.
It's not just the CC.... the EC does it too if you leave UO on the log in screen... within moments my fans will all kick in.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
funny how that works...if i'm alone in my house afk i will timeout. but if i'm in luna and there are other players roaming about on the screen i will stay logged in even if my char is idle.
It's because every time a player runs by your character your journal updates to say "you see (player name)" and since your journal is constantly updating while in Luna due to all the people running around the game does not realize that your character is actually idle so it keeps you logged in.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there are multiple 3rd party programs that will fix that for you :)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been this way since the 2nd age.
They not sorted it in past 15 years, I think it's safe to say they wont be fixing it.
Close the patcher or relog to fix problem.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if this is a bug that the uoteam can't fix, then they call it a "feature"
much like the re-equipping of you suit when you cross a server line.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not just the CC.... the EC does it too if you leave UO on the log in screen... within moments my fans will all kick in.
I run Windows 10 with EC and my comp doesn't heat up beyond normal idle temperature leaving it at the sign in page on EC or leaving it afk and idle and getting signed out. In CC however, yes same problem, heat goes up 15 to 20 degrees Celsius.

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
thanks for thinking about this @Longtooths

AMD FX 6300 processor
8 gig RAM
integrated graphics from process
o/s = 64 bit windows 7 home premium.