• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Couple questions

Merth

Journeyman
1. Are gains past 90 ridiculous or what? Ive gained .6 in about 2 hrs fishing and crabbing.

2. Any purpose in keeping “small mess of fish”?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I find gaining Fishing the same as gaining Taming....both equally mind numbing lol...find pinks and blues, they are your friends!

The mess of fish? Try eating them and see what happens!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
1. Are gains past 90 ridiculous or what? Ive gained .6 in about 2 hrs fishing and crabbing.

2. Any purpose in keeping “small mess of fish”?
Where are you fishing and what are your total skill points? You should be fishing in deep water and if you can stone off any skills temporarily, I would recommend that.

Merth

Journeyman
I find gaining Fishing the same as gaining Taming....both equally mind numbing lol...find pinks and blues, they are your friends!

The mess of fish? Try eating them and see what happens!
Pinks and blues cost gold lol...havent gotten any fishing from trade runs yet. And ya i know the effects but they dont last long enough and or really help my tamer.
Where are you fishing and what are your total skill points? You should be fishing in deep water and if you can stone off any skills temporarily, I would recommend that.
Im a couple screens away from the floating dock and skills are around 709 real.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Water depth should be fine but you are so close to max skill cap which slows things down. If you have access to a few soulstones, I would stone off a few skills until you hit your max in fishing.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And ya i know the effects but they dont last long enough and or really help my tamer.
It's the same duration and bonus as a mage casting the equivalent spell at GM or better eval (and has been for almost a decade), and not much different from the non-"greater" potions without EP. So "long enough" is an odd answer (sounds like you're wanting something more like rose petals that stack with spell effects as opposed to gives spell effects). Of course, for a character that has no Eval (like many tamers) that's a major effect compared to no effect at all.

Granted, if your tamer is already at 150 INT, the "cunning" effect fish have 0 effect on INT regardless - just like the spells Cunning and Bless.

Merth

Journeyman
It's the same duration and bonus as a mage casting the equivalent spell at GM or better eval (and has been for almost a decade), and not much different from the non-"greater" potions without EP. So "long enough" is an odd answer (sounds like you're wanting something more like rose petals that stack with spell effects as opposed to gives spell effects). Of course, for a character that has no Eval (like many tamers) that's a major effect compared to no effect at all.

Granted, if your tamer is already at 150 INT, the "cunning" effect fish have 0 effect on INT regardless - just like the spells Cunning and Bless.
If they stacked I would eat them all the time but otherwise they just seem a waste of space. Im really digging all the nee fish types tho. I even stopped doing the quest i was on to go do some dungeon fish to check them out. All the quests so far (i think im on number 5) have been 10 crabs or 10 fish. Is this because I just started or because im in a little boat?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Probably one or both. You have to use a High Seas ship type to get larger quests (as the old style boats can only hold 400 in their hold). And, initially, quests start at 1 line of 10 fish. It can move up through 15 & 20 if you've had a quest for that type before (before cycling back to 10). And, the chance if getting a 2-line quest is based on the percentage of the fish types you've completed 1-line quests for (then, later, the chance of 3-line quests is the percentage of fish you've done 2-line quests for, etc.)

Below 105 or so skill, there are 42 types (12 crustaceans, 12 shallow water, 18 deep water). The numbers get reset when you advance high enough to start catching Dungeon Fish (which raises the target number to 54 types).