• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cooking skill gain broke?

C

Chocobo_ff

I just learn from npc for 33.3 skill.

I tried to cook a stack of raw fish, 2500 pieces. No scroll used for extra skill gain.

1st failed, gain 0.1
2nd failed, gain 0.1
3rd success, gain nothing, 2500 raw fishes turned to cooked.

I tried several times but still cannot gain as it said "check with each individual piece on skill gain"

Used up 10000 raw fishes, only got 0.8 skills

Is it normal or the skill gain is broke?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think - think! - you're not cooking something low enough down for your skill. Training cooking was a long time ago. Go to Ter Mur and get a crystal ball of knowledge, that will tell you if you're cooking something too challenging, too easy, or just right for optimum gains.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can gain off fish steaks from 0-100, to my knowledge.
Perhaps the best way to do it is to wait for your GGS gain before trying to cook a pile of steaks.
If you fail and gain 0.1, you've just used up that GGS gain, and should wait for your next one.
If you succeed and cook the whole stack, assuming you get the gain for the cooking attempt, you should get the gains for the whole stack in the blink of an eye.
If you don't get a gain on the initial attempt, I think you get no gains at all (hence the suggestion of waiting for GGS).
You could technically make it more efficient by nomming a blue scroll for cooking, and logging out as soon as you get the gain, and logging back in when you're due another GGS (the timer doesn't go down when you're logged out).

I, too, have burned through a lot of steaks, while missing gains.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can gain off fish steaks from 0-100, to my knowledge.
Perhaps the best way to do it is to wait for your GGS gain before trying to cook a pile of steaks.
If you fail and gain 0.1, you've just used up that GGS gain, and should wait for your next one.
If you succeed and cook the whole stack, assuming you get the gain for the cooking attempt, you should get the gains for the whole stack in the blink of an eye.
If you don't get a gain on the initial attempt, I think you get no gains at all (hence the suggestion of waiting for GGS).
You could technically make it more efficient by nomming a blue scroll for cooking, and logging out as soon as you get the gain, and logging back in when you're due another GGS (the timer doesn't go down when you're logged out).

I, too, have burned through a lot of steaks, while missing gains.

I'd also say that cooking the steaks one by one rather than a stack is a more efficient way to up your gains to steaks ratio.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Unless things have changed, you should be able to GM cooking easily enough by just making bread. Making dough and then baking it each gives a chance for a gain. Anyway, that's how I did it.

Not to forget, if you use wheat to make a bag of flour (using a cooking tool) you have a chance to gain that way as well.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My anecdotal evidence supports your theory that cooking skill gains off fish is broken. I originally tried using fish steaks to gain but had the same mass cook, no mass skill gain problem as you. I then switched to bread and did that for awhile (until I got bored), and found a post on here confirming that cooking mass piles of fish did still work. I then went back and started cooking in stacks of ~100 fish at time. I would occasionally get .3-.4 skill gain from the stacks. I have about 60k bbq fish steaks now, but stopped when I reached the level to create enchanted apples and switched to making those (for something useful).

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is how I gm'd cooking just recently.

30 to 80 skill by making bread.

80 to 100 skill by making the normal miso soups.

Have an endless decanter of water that is linked and use the "make max" of any miso soup and you'll get to GM pretty quick that way.

C

Chocobo_ff

Thanks all for the advice, I will try to use the ball of knowledge first.

And if the fish cooking isn't good for me, I will make break instead.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best advice.. do bread loafs, and do 1k fishsteaks if you get stuck..

switch to enhanted apples around 90 some, these sell on most shards for crazy amounts, although yes you will fail a bit in the progress losing mats.

but enchanted apples will sell for a good amount making you break even or better.

Lord_Rotin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I GMed cooking yesterday in 3 hours....

Was pretty easy.

What you need is:

Around 2500 raw fish steaks,
5 Scrolls of Alacrity "cooking",
a **** load of empty bags,
some money (around 2k) for water pitchers and flour.

How to do it:

Go in any inn (f.e. at south of WBB). Buy flour and water and make dough from 0-72 skill.

From 72 to 100 make miso soup.
(put raw fish in empty bags and when you are at 125 items, put fish in next empty bag and drop full bag to ground)

This is one of the easiest skill to GM in no time.