• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Converting a traditional keep

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have a couple of questions. I know addons need to be removed and I don't have anything like goza mats or granite pieces. I am including pictures of my keep.
  1. What other things might need to be stored instead of left out?
  2. The keep transferred from an account I was closing to an account I am keeping subbed. Do I need to wait 7 days before converting it? It has been 3 days and I know in the past I was not able to resize a house that I just got transferred because it hadn't been 7 days and I almost lost the plot. I had to open an account to place there so no one else would take it.
  3. Cost? Is it a cost difference between the traditional vs the new style chosen or is there a different cost?
Keep I.jpg

Keep II.jpg

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I know people who had troubles going into design mode with the raised garden beds, I realise you are asking for replacing with a new keep design but it may cause some issues, I'm really not sure. So maybe pick those up, just to be safe.
As for pricing, can't you use a house placement tool to see what the new keep design cost? Personally, I never owned a keep or a castle, I'm just thinking the house placement tool "should" have a cost for the new ones listed.
Good luck

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't know if it goes with the cost of the new keep or splits the cost or does something very different. The tool tells you what the cost will be to place a new one. I just have not found much information about conversion.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know if it goes with the cost of the new keep or splits the cost or does something very different. The tool tells you what the cost will be to place a new one. I just have not found much information about conversion.
I would think it would do it pretty much the same as customizing - charging you the difference between the new placement and the old, or refunding if the new one is less.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have converted several and I have always completely emptied them just to be on the safe side. The new style Keeps cost around 40 Mil to place, depending which you pick, and the cost of the regular Keep is refunded. Just take a House Placement tool and it will tell you the cost of each new Keep style. Make sure your Keep menu says that it can be converted. Even though they are the same size, some of the new designs don't play as friendly with rock locations on the ground. This is especially true with how the front steps relate to obstacles. The conversion automatically places, you don't pick a location like when you place a house. If you are on Chessy, I would be glad to help to do the conversion.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Look on the information page and it will say if it can be converted.
If there are stones or trees in the indentation areas, you won't be able to convert.

Any deeded items will have to be axed.
just like the trash barrel I see on your bottom floor.
And I'm assuming the skeleton on the bottom floor is from a deed?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Is this something that I can do before the 7 day period to place a house is up? I almost lost a plot by resizing it less than 7 days of placing. I had to have a friend place something before I lost it.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are several things to be aware of with house placement. You can resize once each hour after you place, but you have to wait seven days if you want to drop the house and place another once you have accepted the new house. I have also used the Securely Place This House option, then an hour later, used the resize command to move it over one tile for a better location. Since the option is not grayed out, it should work. The game is in control of the conversion and it’s not like you are just dropping the house. If you get the menu when you select the option to convert, then it should work. There have also been times in the game when the conversion places one tile over from you existing spot. Always remember, this is UO, and things do go wrong sometimes. If you have any hesitation, then I would wait the 7 days.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have a couple of questions. I know addons need to be removed and I don't have anything like goza mats or granite pieces. I am including pictures of my keep.
  1. What other things might need to be stored instead of left out?
  2. The keep transferred from an account I was closing to an account I am keeping subbed. Do I need to wait 7 days before converting it? It has been 3 days and I know in the past I was not able to resize a house that I just got transferred because it hadn't been 7 days and I almost lost the plot. I had to open an account to place there so no one else would take it.
  3. Cost? Is it a cost difference between the traditional vs the new style chosen or is there a different cost?
I would also like to convert a keep to one of the new designs. Reading through this thread, I wanted to clarify your first statement.

You said "addons need to be removed". Does that mean roughly everything in the house - lockdowns, containers, gozas, granite and other placeable items from deeds? More specifically, the reason I am asking is because the Keep I would like to convert was a property I inherited after it's previous owner began working on customizing the house with granite but never completed. There is granite EVERYWHERE and some places are tough to reach. Will I be unable to convert the house without removing every piece of granite first?

House decorating and creating is probably my weakest area of UO - it's not something I have ever known very much about and I have only began to enjoy it in my most recent activity over the last month or so. This is all a learning curve for me, so apology in advance if this has been covered elsewhere.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remove all the granite Gozas deeds
I would just put everything in containers personal
If you plan on resizing it to move over you’ll have to empty it completely

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Coupe things to be aware of when converting. Some Players have experienced their plot moving over 1 tile from the original location when converting. Even thought the plot is the same size, some rocks give problems with the new design. The new plot also treats the front steps like a custom and not like the classic. Always make sure the option to convert is not grayed out, before you start taking things down.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had that issue had resize and move the keep A few spaces forward because of tree On the back side
Had completely empty it

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Another question - the keep is in a swamp and there are two plants in the unusable 'open space' within the walls of the keep. Will that prevent me from converting or cause any issue?

I have heard of people who have converted and the house when from properly placed to improperly placed. Does that cause any issue where action could be taken against me or cause any other headache?

I greatly appreciated all the responses so far.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For that reason (trees) I had to move mine a few spaces which meant completely removing all items
you should be able to check the house sign and it will show if it can be converted
I can’t log in to take a screen shot of exact words

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Look above at post #7. That is how you know if it can be converted.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look above at post #7. That is how you know if it can be converted.
There have been instances when you were able to convert, and the house was improperly placed after the conversion. Since the conversion is automatic without your input after you select "Securely Replace This House", you have no control over the conversion.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There have been instances when you were able to convert, and the house was improperly placed after the conversion. Since the conversion is automatic without your input after you select "Securely Replace This House", you have no control over the conversion.
This is what I was getting at. My keep sign shows that I have option to convert, but there are plants in the inaccessible areas so just wondering if that will cause any trouble.

If a house is "Improperly placed" after a conversion - are there any negative consequences to be aware of? Is this some sort of major actionable no-no offense that can cause grief later?

I appreciate all of the responses thus far - housing is not an area of expertise for me - and thank you in advance to all future helpful comments.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is what I was getting at. My keep sign shows that I have option to convert, but there are plants in the inaccessible areas so just wondering if that will cause any trouble.

If a house is "Improperly placed" after a conversion - are there any negative consequences to be aware of? Is this some sort of major actionable no-no offense that can cause grief later?

I appreciate all of the responses thus far - housing is not an area of expertise for me - and thank you in advance to all future helpful comments.
The only issue you would really have with improperly placed would be that you could not convert it again. You would have to tear it down and replace it if you wanted to change it. With that being said, if you have the option to convert it, you will most likely not have any issue with it afterwards. I was worried about some land deco in the back and on the far side (not visible in my screenshot) and it properly converted and placed with no issues. I was nervous when I did mine so I all I can suggest is if you want to convert, go for it, as long as you have the option available on the sign.