• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

considering SW bard

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I currently am running a 4x120 bard w/ 120 magery (100 is real)... I only have room in this template for 100 real skill points and got to thinking of squeezing more power out by getting rid of the magery and going to spellweaving....

current build:
120 all bard skills
120 magery (100 real)
100 hiding
80 stealth (40 real)

Right now, my damaging spells is pretty much limited to EV's and Corp Por's... I do not run eval, so.... I figured SW will give more options for my bard being able to damage, and i've heard that nature's fury are each nearly as powerful as an EV when accompanied by a level 5 or 6 arcane circle gem (5 furies > 2 EV's).... plus finishing something off with WOD could be a big benefit...

I realize I will be having to resort to pots for healing, cures... and will have to travel by charged runebook.... my biggest headache I think will be having to rely on pots for invisibility, which I use often as a way to cancel aggro between provocations and failed disco attempts.... but if SW makes managing big game easier (lol or possible), I just might do it...

Any thoughts on the above? Any persons out there that use their bard with SW? Will SW as a standalone skill beat magery as a standalone skill when it comes to overall damaging spells and usefulness to a bard like mine? Thanks for any ideas

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 4X bard is a bit nuts. But with 120 chiv and 120 meditation, and Holy light spam. :D

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I currently am running a 4x120 bard w/ 120 magery (100 is real)... I only have room in this template for 100 real skill points and got to thinking of squeezing more power out by getting rid of the magery and going to spellweaving....

current build:
120 all bard skills
120 magery (100 real)
100 hiding
80 stealth (40 real)

Right now, my damaging spells is pretty much limited to EV's and Corp Por's... I do not run eval, so.... I figured SW will give more options for my bard being able to damage, and i've heard that nature's fury are each nearly as powerful as an EV when accompanied by a level 5 or 6 arcane circle gem (5 furies > 2 EV's).... plus finishing something off with WOD could be a big benefit...

I realize I will be having to resort to pots for healing, cures... and will have to travel by charged runebook.... my biggest headache I think will be having to rely on pots for invisibility, which I use often as a way to cancel aggro between provocations and failed disco attempts.... but if SW makes managing big game easier (lol or possible), I just might do it...

Any thoughts on the above? Any persons out there that use their bard with SW? Will SW as a standalone skill beat magery as a standalone skill when it comes to overall damaging spells and usefulness to a bard like mine? Thanks for any ideas
It would make more sense to get rid of Hiding and Stealth.

With Magery and no Eval you have Mindblast, Poison, various summons for different damage types a ton of supplementary stuff and most importantly of all melee defence. You also have Despair damage which can be set to the targets lowest resist and is usually huge damage, especially with Slayer instruments.

Will SW beat Magery as a stand alone, no, because they have completely different functionality. Plus without Med you're not exactly a build known for it's mana based offense.

I run 6x 120, Mage/Med/Music/Disc/Prov, and change between Spellweaving, Peace and Resist for the last skill. Peace only to buff Despair damage, Resist well haven't put this back on for a while but I like having it, Spellweaving for the mastery's and WOD.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks to both of you for the replies...... yes, I am just testing this out atm.... was hoping to pull a rabbit out of my hat and be able to do better with SW than magery....

I run a 26 mr suit so mana has not been a problem; melee defense I do w/ out even on the magery build as I usually don't get hit...

Well, I am gaining the skill and adjusting the current gear in all cases so I will find out the hard way just how feasible (or not) is this SW experiment...

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I have 30 mr, and 120 Med, and when running Despair/Tribulation and dumping it'll still run out.

Managing big game is easier with melee defence after failures as you don't always need to off screen or Invis, plus not everything is melee, there are Archers such as Medusa and Ozymandias, and their damage will end spellsongs.