• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Confused Returning Player

Nysta Ampyre

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As stated in my subject line, I am a confused returning player!

It's been several years since I played UO, and came back because a friend convinced me to come RP with him.

I re-activated my old account, so I have a current player who has some pretty high skills, but I'm having trouble putting everything I want on my template....isn't that the way it usually is?

Anyhow, I want a stealth Archer for RP purposes, however, I currently have music and peace on her, which I love for PvM. I don't really PvP very often, only when my guildmates pick a fight with someone who is highlighted with our guild, and I am forced to help.

So there's the background....

My current template is:

Archery
Healing
Anatomy
Tactics
Hiding
About 65 Chivalry
Music
Peace

And I believe I am up to a 735 cap. As you can see, I have no stealth on her, but I need to add it.

My questions: would it be better if I just bit the bullet and dropped music and peace and just added a weapon skill for the times I am in close fighting, and then bring things up to 120? Would dropping anatomy and adding stealth in it's place work? I'm not sure what anatomy does anymore.

As you can see I'm totally confused now, I used to know what a good template was, but no more. I did read all the back posts regarding archery templates that I could find, however, none seemed to have all the skills on them that I wanted: hiding/stealth/music/peace. I'm beginning to think that's because there are simply not enough skill points available to make this character effective.

Can someone please end my confusion?

Thank you!

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello! Welcome back!

First of i dont know what RP community you belong to but i think that many of the RP communitys doesnt allow use of magic skills like/chiv/bushido and so on.

Anyway what you really need is

120 Archery (or as high as possible)
90 Tactics (thats the minimum skill you need to be able to use both special moves)
100 Hiding
75 Stealth (With 75 Stealth you will be able to stealth 100% in medibale armor)

Thats the Basic, Higher tactics means more dmg so that is probably a good idea to at least bump uyp to GM or legendary. Stealth Archers isnt really considerd PVM templates since they often sacrifice a loty of skill points in ninja/hide/stealth to improve their stealthing abbilitys.

120 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Hiding
75 Stealth
90 Healing
Thats what i would aim for to begin with. Ninjutsu is nice since it lets you use smokebombs(instant stealth even when in combat) and animal forms to be able to move faster while stealthed and by foot.
And if your going for PVM i really think you should add Chivalry.
And for the record, the skill cap is 720 max for accounts that are at least four years old.

I hope that helped in some way :)

A

Archon007

I guess the question is if you don't PvP much and you want a PvM template why do you need hiding? It is completely overrated in PvM just run away a few steps

115 Archery
90 Healing
110 Anatomy
100 Tactics
65 Chivalry
120 Music
120 Peace

This gives you what you want, for PvM 120 Music and Peace is a must.

O

Old Man of UO

Unless you want to do much more damage and help others in PvM, then drop Peace and do Discord. High end monsters break peace so fast, and peace breaks as soon as you move, I've never found it that useful. Invis potions instead.

A

Archon007

Unless you want to do much more damage and help others in PvM, then drop Peace and do Discord. High end monsters break peace so fast, and peace breaks as soon as you move, I've never found it that useful. Invis potions instead.
Sorry ... Correction: Yes Discord is much better than Peace, but since he said Peace, my comment was referring to if you are going to get peace then it must be 120 or don't bother.

O

Old Man of UO

Sorry ... Correction: Yes Discord is much better than Peace, but since he said Peace, my comment was referring to if you are going to get peace then it must be 120 or don't bother.
Quite right and I agree. I stoned my peace skill and replaced it with discord and have never been disappointed with that decision.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It all depends on what you are fighting and how you are using the peace skill I run 110 peace on 3 of my characters and it fits my play style very well you dont always have to use peace on the high end critters it is absolutly wonderfull for controlling crowds and if you get into bad spot you have area peace which does not last long but 5 or 6 seconds with everything on the screen dropping target can be a life saver just wanted to throw in my two cents dont get me wrong discord is great but peace if used right can be as good !

O

Old Man of UO

It all depends on what you are fighting and how you are using the peace skill I run 110 peace on 3 of my characters and it fits my play style very well you dont always have to use peace on the high end critters it is absolutly wonderfull for controlling crowds and if you get into bad spot you have area peace which does not last long but 5 or 6 seconds with everything on the screen dropping target can be a life saver just wanted to throw in my two cents dont get me wrong discord is great but peace if used right can be as good !
Ya... that was basically how I used it. The WRONG way to use it is to constantly use area peace at Champ Spawns. Pets and players un-target constantly, and they soon loath seeing any bard at the spawns. Those players need a lesson or two about barding and spawn etiquette.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ya... that was basically how I used it. The WRONG way to use it is to constantly use area peace at Champ Spawns. Pets and players un-target constantly, and they soon loath seeing any bard at the spawns. Those players need a lesson or two about barding and spawn etiquette.
oh yes lol the fastest way to make enemies is to area peace in a group of players I play solo almost all the time so is not much of a issue but if push comes to shove and it is going to keep me alive! I will use it if absolutely necessary !
I have been thinking of putting discord on my tamer but I really don't want to spend months gming it! its just like provo and I was pulling my hair out with that and taming not sure I have the patience right now lol!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you should do is become a basic ninja archer, find the pirates and kill us more often. :)

For those who were wondering, Nysta is on Catskills (primarily) and we have no rules regarding equipment or templates which we can use except for certain guilds who like our silly hats.

Anyhow, if you're looking for power in the spy/pvp/rp arena, then you could do worse than to drop music and peace and go the ninja archer route. If you want more power in the pvm arena and want to role play a musician, then try dropping hiding and stealth and keeping peace and music. But if power is what you're looking for, then the best thing to do is focus on hiding OR bard skills.

If your character requires more skills, then by all means, use more skills (my Dedigan of the Pirates had 8 skills until recently, was weak as a baby, but it fit her character at the time).

Anyhow, my favorite archer template for stealth/rp and PvP:
120 archery
120 ninjitsu
100 tactics
100 hiding
80 stealth
100 healing
100 anatomy

If you do more PvM, you could drop ninjitsu and raise other skills and add chivalry, such as:
120 archery
120 tactics
120 anatomy
100 healing
100 hiding
80 stealth
80 chivalry