• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] Confused by Faster Casting CAPs

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a character, I have both 120 Mysticism and 120 Spellweaving.

Now, it seems that the faster casting CAPs are different. On Mysticism it is 2 and on Spellweaving it is 4.

Now, when one has both skills on the same character which CAP applies ?

Thanks.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Popps,

It always applies the lowest cap to all skills. So lets say you had Chivalry and 70 or above Magery, your chivalry spells would be capped at FC2 along with the Magery ones.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see, thank you for the reply.

Now I understand why Word of death takes forever to cast. This must be because the CAP seen is the 2 of Mysticism and not that of 4 for Spellweaving......
Each spellcasting skill should be treated differently though and go with its specific CAP even if on the same template.

By the way, I checked on Protection - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia about Protection and at some point it says :

Characters under the Protection spell effect can no longer have their spells "disrupted" when hit. As a result, those affected by the spell experience: decreased physical resistance; a reduction of their Resisting Spells skill value by -35, and a slower casting speed modifier of 2 points. However, this penalty can lower neither Resisting Spells nor the casting speed below 0. This modifier is applied after the cap takes effect, so additional FC above the cap will not counteract the negative effect of this spell.

Is that still valid or can one now counter the negative effect of Protection as in regards to Faster Casting like putting on more Faster Casting points to take into account the penalty of 2 that applies to using Protection ?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All spell casting caps are treated differently with the except of when you mix chiv with magery/mystic.

so if you have 4fc 6fcr and 120 mystic and 120 spellweaving....

you will cast at 2/6 with mystic spells and 4/6 with spellweaving spells.

With the chiv exception, if you have 70 or more magery, your chiv FC cap drops to 2/6 casting, at 69.9 magery, the chiv cap is still 4/6. This part was done because people using 4/6 chiv heals and cures on full mages.

Hope that helps.

And on the protection post - You cannot counter the protection casting cap of 0 FC, even if you had 8 FC on, in pro you will be at 0 when speaking of magery.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Protection: If I understood that correctly tho, if you have FC4 and have protection on, your chivalry spells will still have FC2...right?

E

elspeth

Protection: If I understood that correctly tho, if you have FC4 and have protection on, your chivalry spells will still have FC2...right?
Would love to have official word about these caps. And if the above is true.

So, if I do magery, mystic and spellweaving and have 4/6 on my jewelry then I should cast magery and mystic at fc2 and sw at fc4 and with protection on I'll cast magery and mystic at fc0 but sw at fc2?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No, my understanding is that Protection locks the cap for all casting, including Chiv and SW (which have a FC4 cap normally) at 0.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
One thing I have never been able to understand is how some people are able to cast a HECK of alot faster than I can. Have seen them cast gheal and fs at the same speed I cast gheal. I use 2/6, have a great connection (usually ping around 25-31) a great gaming pc, yet they cast like they have a 0 fcr time.

Z

Zero Day

Speed/Turbo casting has been in UO since the beginning, and technically you can cast one spell immediately after another even if you have 0 FCR.

The way casting recovery in UO works, is that it is the time from when you begin casting a spell, until it is ready to be released.

This is why if you watch old school mages fight, many times you will see them cast a spell, and wait a second or two to release it. The recovery time takes place after casting, not after release.

If you cast spells immediately and back to back this is the sequence
Cast->Release->Recover->Cast->Release

To Speed Cast
Cast->Recover->Release->Cast->Release
No Delay between release of the spell and casting of the second spell, making
interruption much more difficult

This doesnt work with the new targeting system in the EC since it releases spells immediately once they are finished casting.

This also doesnt work if you use last target queueing in UO assist, unless you wait to target the first spell.