• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Computer crashed shortly after re-entering the newbie crypt - now whole PC wont start

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey everyone,

Just figured I would post here in case this has happened to anyone else. By all means, it may have just been a coincidence but I have had no problems like this with this PC before. My game/comp locked up and when I rebooted I got an unexpected I/O error.

File: \boot\bcd

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I ended up being able to reinstall Windows to my OS partition after wiping it, it just took forever. I think it was about 4.5 hours from the "Press any key to boot from CD" line to when the install finished.

I ended up being able to get back into the game last night for an hour or so before I headed off to bed. I'll probably play a bunch tonight again, fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Like you said, it is probably nothing to do with the game but I'll post again in this thread if it happens again and, if it does, what I was doing when it happened.

seasidelion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I ended up being able to reinstall Windows to my OS partition after wiping it, it just took forever. I think it was about 4.5 hours from the "Press any key to boot from CD" line to when the install finished.

I ended up being able to get back into the game last night for an hour or so before I headed off to bed. I'll probably play a bunch tonight again, fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Like you said, it is probably nothing to do with the game but I'll post again in this thread if it happens again and, if it does, what I was doing when it happened.
posting your hardware might help anyone with future troubleshooting!

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Glad to hear that! I'd still recommend googling chkdsk and following the instructions to run it. It will take hours but will isolate any bad sectors on your hard drive. It sounds like you just have a bad sector.

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I actually need to update this. The comp died again the next day after re-installing. I used this opportunity to justify going to pick up a SSD and some extra ram for cheap to bring my system up to 8gigs. Everything is running nice and smooth and I am actually kicking myself for waiting so long to get a SSD. Huge difference.