• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comparing customer service: EA/UO vs. FarmVille

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I blogged about some recent experiences relating to this topic a while back. My recent experiences and the poll on UHall about an Official UO Forum, have prompted this final note.

FarmVille and Ultima Online are not the same type of game. To compare the games would be comparing apples and zucchini squash. So lets be clear, I'm not comparing the game experience, I am comparing the Customer Service experience.

To keep this short, let me include a recent email from Zynga Customer Service. (Zynga produces FarmVille and several other internet games.)
You are always more than welcome! I am glad I could assist you and that you are pleased with our Support Team!
You are totally right! Our Development Team is working really hard to refine every single feature so you can enjoy the games even more! We really appreciate your feedback and thank you once again for contacting Zynga Customer Support.
Happy Farming,
Vivian M.
This email was the final follow-up email related to a game performance issue. This type of follow-up is standard for Zynga. Sure, the first email is an automated "incident" receipt. But after that you are dealing with a live person who follows the issue through to resolution. While it's true that the emails have some boilerplate customer-speak, it is also obvious that the service rep has actually read my complaint and is responding to it on an individual basis.

Now this part will blow your mind... As a way of aplogizing for any inconvenience, Zinga reps will often drop farm gold, or other items in a user's account (gift box). Nothing crazy, but just a token to ease the pain and show they care about the issue.

This morning, I was given 10 Farm Cash, which if purchased would cost about $2.50usd. When was the last time EA/UO credited your account for server down time, lost items or otherwise borked game-play? Well I've been a member for over 10 years and I can't remember that ever happening to me.

Now I won't sit here and claim that I've never had a positive experience with UO, because that would not be true. There have been GM's that have been polite and helpful. I always give them an excellent follow-up review (sometimes even props right here on Stratics). But I can say honestly that for every satisfactory customer service experience with UO, I've also gotten that lame link to the Knowledge Base that takes me nowhere and answers nothing. If I take the time to carefully construct a question, I want a thoughful and useful answer.

UO can't deliver this type of service, or they just don't want to.

*NOTE: As I was writing this post, I wanted to verify a link and found that the my . uo . com site is giving a 403 error.

In my assesment I am including UO responses to GM pages in-game (a feature not provided by FarmVille), as well as questions submitted via the EA customer support site.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I am comparing the Customer Service experience.

Between
Apple customers service
and
zucchini squash customers service :stretcher:

hmmmmmm ... Apples "appears better"
ergo
NO ONE really likes Zucchini squash vegetables
(assuming a bias towards the "apple" being the "better" of the two)

:party: failed comparison nonetheless

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've grown to assume that all customer service is bad. That way, on the rare occasion that my assumption is disproved, I am pleasantly surprised.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hahaha this is extreemly funny...

First you complare me with an apple pie ; little did you know that all my friends call me zuchinni well because I love the vegetable very much and always cook with it.

It's been a kind of developping story for me all along. I'll skip the non- PG-13 part , wahahaha :p

That pic was pretty funny... but Norberg, there is a major fail... how can the caps lock be worn out when its goal is not having to press the shift key constantly. This meme is a fail :p

Anira Cuilwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't confirm that. Well we all know that EA customer service is crap - that's not limited to uo. UO ingame support is not what it used to be but they do help in various cases at least.

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hahaha this is extreemly funny...

First you complare me with an apple pie ; little did you know that all my friends call me zuchinni well because I love the vegetable very much and always cook with it.

It's been a kind of developping story for me all along. I'll skip the non- PG-13 part , wahahaha :p

That pic was pretty funny... but Norberg, there is a major fail... how can the caps lock be worn out when its goal is not having to press the shift key constantly. This meme is a fail :p
So many typographical errors = POST FAIL

Please use the "PREVIEW TROLL" button before submitting posts. Thank you.

As for my OP... it releates to actual personal experience. Which is fact. Not speculation or opinion. You are welcome to post your positive experiences with UO or negative experiences with FarmVille as a rebuttal.

Consider this... use the PREVIEW POST button and then think... "am I contributing to the thread?" Remember, this is not debate class so trying to dissect agruments is not contributing. Try having an original thought... that's a contribution.

Also, clean up your post... fix typos and grammatical errors. Try and use standard punctuation. Don't assume that everyone else thinks like you and will understand your broken sentences. Typing your reply in some version of Haiku doesn't get your point across.

Funny story: One person who replies to my posts often, uses such horrible grammer and sentence structure I assumed that English was their second language. Imagine my suprise when I read one of their posts claiming they were from the US Midwest. Now that's too funny.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, clean up your post... fix typos and grammatical errors. Try and use standard punctuation. Don't assume that everyone else thinks like you and will understand your broken sentences. Typing your reply in some version of Haiku doesn't get your point across.
Your previous post
About grammar errors made
Irony not lost

(tl;dr version: Pot meet kettle!)

On topic: Yes, customer service in UO (and EA as a whole) is horrid. It is at the point where if I had a problem with anything, I would either workaround or not play the character with a problem. My last issue cost me hundreds of thousands of gold to fix because I couldn't wait for six hours for a two minute fix (so I lost the ship). Contrariwise, I've dealt with companies which fixed easy problems in minutes. But UO is far and away not the worst customer service out there. In my life, that goes to my cable company. When last I needed them, it took about a month and a dozen or so "support" staff before some bottom-of-the-ladder temp took a huge risk and flipped the stinking switch! The problems we had were fixed before he hung up the phone.

At least their "help" wasn't automated.