• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Trading] Community 'heads up'

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been brought to our attention that at least 3 proven scammers are currently active and could be evading Stratics bans. We are investigating this, in the meantime please take extra care when trading with unknowns.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the heads up......Getum Petra! :gun:

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
They are to protect the buyer's
I think this call for Very useful

that do not condemn anyone
But if someone might be offended...sorry

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
T

Tazar

well, nothing was specifically said... etc...

this will probly be my last post as im sure this will get me banned, but i just dont like seeing people accused of doing stuff...and i know for sure that one of the people restroom cowboy was talking about wasnt scamming at all...
Considering that no names were mentioned in this thread, there is no way that you could know who is being talked about. While Restroom Cowboy is quick to take credit for this - the information that brought about this post was already being tracked long before he brought up anything - and his "assumption" is not what led to Petra's post.

I can also guarantee you that the people we are concerned about are not ones who look guilty due to an internet issue - nor could they ever make amends for their past activities. Over many years, there are just too many victims for it to be an internet issue - and many of the victims no longer play UO so there is no way to make it right. The ones we are discussing are long term scammers that have been in and out of the game for years. Believe me - we've done our research on these individuals and there is no doubt. All that remains is confirming the ties between the original scammers and their new identities on Stratics and elsewhere. And yes - we are 100% sure that there are active scammers out there - there always have been and probably always will be.

Since we have named no names, there is no way we could be harming someone's reputation. The intent is not to "cause fear" but to serve as a reminder that precautions should be taken to avoid being scammed in any transaction. That is always good advice.

As to our duties as mods, admins, authority figures, etc. - this is a part of those duties. Since we do not allow personal attacks on the forums, many scammers will hide behind the rules and continue to prey on the innocent. Educating the public is the best way that we can help prevent these type of crimes. It is just like the police posting crime statistics. You don't know who - but you know what and can use that information to better protect yourself from being victimized.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well said Tazar! I hope you are able to determine who they are and ban them. We will all be better off.
Agree with the first part, as for the second part.. I say identify them on the boards also. I can understand not announcing who they are during an "investigation" but after a thorough investigation and gulit is proven then Sr. Mods or above should be able to announce to the community who it is. I doubt seriously at that level or above the folks would not rush to judgement, or post person X just as a vendetta. Just my .02.

T

Tazar

Agree with the first part, as for the second part.. I say identify them on the boards also. I can understand not announcing who they are during an "investigation" but after a thorough investigation and gulit is proven then Sr. Mods or above should be able to announce to the community who it is. I doubt seriously at that level or above the folks would not rush to judgement, or post person X just as a vendetta. Just my .02.
If UO had a unique naming requirement, then I'd agree - but without that - too many innocent bystanders will get caught in the crossfire.

Bon Iver

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
While Restroom Cowboy is quick to take credit for this - the information that brought about this post was already being tracked long before he brought up anything - and his "assumption" is not what led to Petra's post.
Ouch.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tiggertessa2007: If you'd like to contact me by pm and tell me who you think we're accusing I will attempt to clarify the matter.

This thread was the result of several messages, Restroom Cowboy's was only one of them. We have accused no one, and as yet we have not positively linked any new accounts to those that are banned. We have merely cautioned people to take a little extra care when trading with unknowns.

Further, the banned posters reached that status by total disregard of Stratics rules of conduct. We cannot take action against people for their conduct in game, merely for conduct on our boards.

We do not base our actions on the erroneous guesswork of crusading posters.