• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Common Brigand Neighborhood Spawn...

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was designing a house for a ungrateful friend today...

Building UO houses is kind of become a zen… chill... think about how to make the needs match a design without too much of a Borg Cube for a house that needs every square of a 18x18.

It suddenly dawned on me:

Do the old standard brigand pack sudden spawn in neighborhoods... to pester home owners and passers by.

For such a long time, these hung out in the camp after mountains, West of Brit. Thats now changed to raider spawn... what is totally worthless for starting a new fighter, like the brigand camp.

Do these still spawn? If not, why did they stop?

I can remember being new... working out of a single container on the patio of a friend's Villia… and our wonder random CRASH for no reason. My crafter was robbed by the brigand without any ability to defend herself. After that, I made a fighter... to venge her in situations like that. Not too long after I had my own houses. OPEN, but all work was done on level 2.

Still, this little question popped in to my head the hour I was house designing. :)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are brigands on Haven island. Proceed South from Old Haven. The brigands occupy the southern pumpkin fields.

I think they, and pop-up gypsy camps, were removed because there was some problem with their spawn making items inside houses disappear.
<sarcasm sarcasm="1"> Way to fix that bug, dev team. </sarcasm>

The moonstone jewelry reward was then given to Fezzik the Ogre Chef at such a low rate that you will die of old age before getting any, because one of the devs loves a long grind.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thus... that time long-long ago... where my crafter was murdered thanks to a shard crash... and attacked & killed by brigands... they did steal something. They were long gone so it couldn't be recovered. But this was in a day where anyone could recover stolen items from a monster that looted a player... OR you were part of the same guild. 2001. So, if I lost someone in a bad spot fighting, I could send someone else in to save their stuff. No insurance then. Goodness, how much stuff changed over the years.

I'm more or less disappointed they deleted the spawn... vs. fixing it (as they always seam to ignore bugs forever)… because it added a little realistic aspect. Thieves wondering around, making trouble. Seeing they weren't nearly as nasty as a gargoyle? What's the problem?

I know all about the Haven spawn. I'm not talking about really hunting them down for sport any more. I'm sure the same basic training for a fighter would still work quite well in that area. I see them all the time doing pumpkin spawn in October, allowing my dog to eat them if they harass me.

Its just one of those little fond/funny memories of being new to UO... so long ago, getting that Power Hour skill in for everyone... hoping to have someone for every need, in game. Goodness knows the money I'd spend on armor. I dont even remember if it could be repaired then. I'd keep 2 backup Heater Shields on my fighter, break the first... take up the next... that would break... on and on it went. By the time I could afford my first house, it was called "The Broken Heater Shield". :) I was also entertaining the idea of writing a web page about getting your newbie teeth in, like a book, "This one time... at Brigand Camp". lol